You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > Emily's Reporting Thread

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (last edited Jun 24, 2012 03:44PM) (new)

Emily (emilserv) | 453 comments Month 1: Birthday Month March - March by Geraldine Brooks

Month 2: Birthstone Aquamarine - A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin

Month 3: Published in birth year 1985 - Galápagos by Kurt Vonnegut

Month 4: Author from my country US - The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Month 5: Book set in country to visit China - Wild Swans Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang

Month 6: Favorite genre Historical fiction or fairy tale retellings - Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters, #1) by Juliet Marillier

Month 7: Same name Emily - Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Month 8: Favorite flower Rose - Beastly (Kendra Chronicles, #1) by Alex Flinn

Month 9: Book on my TBR list the longest - To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Month 10: Favorite animal Polar bears, otters, etc. - East by Edith Pattou

Month 11: Memoir/biography Queen Elizabeth I - Elizabeth and Mary Cousins, Rivals, Queens by Jane Dunn

Month 12: Issue/cause Gender gap in the workforce - Knowing Your Value by Mika Brzezinski

Bonus: Hobby Piano playing - The Piano by Jane Campion

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48682 comments The first book to be completed bites the dust! Good job, Emily.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilserv) | 453 comments Judy - I gave the book 3 stars. I felt that most of the story focused on the events prior to the island, and the events on the island seemed rushed. I also agreed with the group's discussion that it was a bit repetitive. However, I did find the idea interesting, and I do think that it is worth reading.

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilserv) | 453 comments Hi Anna - Click the place that says 'some html is ok,' and it says to use 's' values in order to strike the text. Place the word that you want to strike between the entire 's' string (all < and > values should be in your comment and the actual text to strike through should go where the ... is).

message 5: by Anna Marie (new)

Anna Marie Hey Emily, I am checking out everybody's challenge threads and saw your profile pick. Is that your bookcase? I love that it is arranged by color. Just wanted to say I may steal that idea. It's pretty. I always arrange by height or genre on my bookcase. Might be time to rearrange! :)

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48682 comments It looks like a rainbow.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilserv) | 453 comments Hi - sorry I just saw this. My bookcase is arranged by color. It actually looks more colorful now since I have even more books. (I moved all of the white books onto their own bookcase).

I would definitely recommend organizing by color because it is so pretty. It is sometimes difficult to find a specific book though...

message 8: by Anna Marie (new)

Anna Marie Great idea, Judy! I'd hire you, Emily!

I think i'm going to put "rearranging books by color" onto my list of things to do if i get snowed in this winter!

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilserv) | 453 comments I just finished Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China and would highly recommed it.

Three more to go until the end of June!

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48682 comments You can do it!

message 11: by Emily (last edited Jun 09, 2012 03:28PM) (new)

Emily (emilserv) | 453 comments One more down and two more to go. I'm trying to get as much reading done for this challenge as I can before Toppler week begins :)

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilserv) | 453 comments Woohoo - all done. I can't believe that we started this a year ago...

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48682 comments Way to go, Emily. I've got a few hours left on my last book.

message 14: by Emily (last edited Jun 25, 2012 06:12AM) (new)

Emily (emilserv) | 453 comments Judy wrote: "What did you think of Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China and Galápagos?"

I really enjoyed Wild Swans even though I do not tend to read non-fiction. I found the author's mother to be an incredible character, and I gave the book four stars. I would recommend this to anyone interested in learning about Chinese history and culture.

I liked Galapagos, but I felt that most of the story focused on the events prior to the island. The events on the island also seemed rushed. As a result, I gave it three stars.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.