The Sword and Laser discussion

Alternate Selection

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Since there are a bunch of us who either haven't read A Song of Lice and Tires or have given up on it, we should probably have an alternate selection.

I'll put forth Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe since I've been wanting to read it for a while, but I'm open to other suggestions.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Wish you'd told me about this before I did the two week ice and fire marathon read ;-)

message 3: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments One day I'll read A Song of Rice and Wires but in the meantime I'm into reading an alternate. Unfortunately Brave Story isn't available at my local library.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments I'm going to be hitting A Song of Mice and Shires but I have a long flight on the 12th so I'll probably blow through it in a day and would be up for an alt read after.

I nominate Magician because I read it over a decade ago and remember it being very good, but nothing else, I'd like the excuse to reread it.

message 5: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments Wow, Magician isn't at my library either and here I thought my library had a really good selection.

P.S. A Song of Nice and Dire.

message 6: by Otto (new)

Otto (andrewlinke) | 110 comments I've decided to finish A Clash of Kings, then wait a few months before carrying on so I'm not waiting 5 years for the NEXT book. Alternative... Andy Ihnatko recommended Solaris on MBW last week... considering that.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2846 comments I was thinking maybe a Charles Stross (but not the newest one in 2nd person, ugh) or maybe this tales of death one everyone keeps talking about.

message 8: by Halbot42 (last edited Jul 08, 2011 09:04AM) (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments On the Charles Stross front, i just finished Iron Sunrise a few months back and really enjoyed it. Second chapter starts with a great description of a someone or something using a sun to destroy planet by taking a small layer of solar material and speeding it to the iron phase and dropping it back on the sun, kaboom. Very thought provoking. Also features neat idea of the future, in about 50 years i think computers reach the singularity and are able to view the future, which causes them to teleport the majority of humanity off the planet to dozens of colonies. The book takes place hundreds of years later when the colonies have reconnected into an intersolar civilization. Oh yeah, Magician rocks, caused me to read the next 20 or so books in the series.

message 9: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Jenny wrote: "I was thinking maybe a Charles Stross (but not the newest one in 2nd person, ugh) or maybe this tales of death one everyone keeps talking about."

Do you mean The Atrocity Archives? I'd be down with that.

message 10: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments Sean wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I was thinking maybe a Charles Stross (but not the newest one in 2nd person, ugh) or maybe this tales of death one everyone keeps talking about."

Do you mean The Atrocity Archives? I'd be down with that"

I'll second that, or third, or whatever, I'm in.

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim (kskryptonian) | 202 comments I have a huge stack of stuff next to the bed I plan to read someday. Might pick up an old dragonlance book to make my brain calm.

message 12: by Halbot42 (last edited Jul 08, 2011 12:07PM) (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments More Stross incoming, i just ordered the 3rd book in the series started by atrocity from betterworldbooks, damn cool ideas, ian fleming meets lovecraft meets Stephenson

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2846 comments Maybe we should do a poll!

message 14: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Jenny wrote: "Maybe we should do a poll!"

Done and done.

message 15: by Kris (last edited Jul 08, 2011 02:12PM) (new)

Kris (kvolk) I voted for Magician...watch out Veronica threatening mayhem at the poll!!...I think she is going to draw her +3 sword of moderation to whack off some heads!!

message 16: by Boots (last edited Jul 09, 2011 11:05AM) (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments So is this poll going to make it an Official Alternate?; like all up on the front page next to A Dance with Drag-queens (A Song of Dice and Flier #5).

message 17: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6203 comments Halbot42 wrote: "On the Charles Stross front, i just finished Iron Sunrise a few months back and really enjoyed it. Second chapter starts with a great description of a someone or something using a su..."

That's a sequel to Singularity Sky.

message 18: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (halfadd3r) I'm all for a Stross selection. My favorite is Accelerando.

We are Lobsters!!

message 19: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6203 comments Patrick wrote: "I'm all for a Stross selection. My favorite is Accelerando.

We are Lobsters!!"

I believe you can get the text to Accelerando for free. Probably not the most accessible book in the world.

message 20: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (halfadd3r) I wasn't suggesting it for a pick, just saying it's my favorite.

Actually for an into Stross novel I'd go with Halting State. Most people know police procedurals and/or at least know a hard-core gamer.

message 21: by Nokomis.FL (new)

Nokomis.FL (nokomisfl) | 316 comments I'm not waiting. I specifically did not start a new book over the weekend just so that I'd be free to tackle Dances with Dragons. Got caught up on some podcasts while driving back and forth across the State for the Shuttle launch.

message 22: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Nokomis.FL wrote: "I specifically did not start a new book over the weekend just so that I'd be free to tackle Dances with Dragons."

I've been reading all the short stories I have floating around on my Kindle. I pick one thinking I'll finish by Tuesday, and then I finish it too fast.

message 23: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 830 comments Do we get our own forum section for Fuzzy Nation now? Or is that too much to ask when you've just staged a revolution?

message 24: by Jenny (Reading Envy) (last edited Jul 12, 2011 07:09AM) (new)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2846 comments They might cite us for unlawful assembly, I dunno.

message 25: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Since the masses have affirmed our Maximum Leader's selection, I don't see why she won't grant us our own enclave.

message 26: by aldenoneil (last edited Jul 12, 2011 08:52AM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments As long as it doesn't muddy my front page. You fuzzies should have a "subsection." At most.