Count Zero (Sprawl, #2) Count Zero discussion

The final dialogue exchange...(spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dillon Re: squirrels

Just wanting to see if anyone had a similar experience that I did when finishing the book. Maybe I am a bit slow, but I the full meaning of the final dialogue exchange didn't hit me until about 30 seconds after I closed the book. And when it did, it was a really good feeling. Not earth-shattering, but definitely satisfying.

Anyone else have this experience?

I'm also open to any other discussion about the book. I particularly enjoyed the scene in which we finally meet the box-maker. <3 Does anyone know of any other sci-fi that deals with ideas of art? Very interesting stuff.

Matthew Williams Dillon wrote: "Re: squirrels

Just wanting to see if anyone had a similar experience that I did when finishing the book. Maybe I am a bit slow, but I the full meaning of the final dialogue exchange didn't hit me ..."

Well, Gibson later works, such as Pattern Recognition and Spook Country deal with things like film making and locative art (aka. augmented reality art), and Zero History deals with fashion design. Not quite the same, but not dissimilar either.

Dana Uh oh, now I'm wondering if I missed something!

I loved this book but was underwhelmed by the epilogue. My main takeaway was the cheesiness of Angie and Bobby being a couple. I liked Bobby well enough, but he's just some nitwit from Jersey. What would they talk about? (Also, a brilliant girl like Angie becoming a simstim star? So out of left field). And then Turner was hunting with his nephew. Yeah, I think I missed something, haha.

Stephen Palmer Could be worse. Could be the final lines of Mona Lisa Overdrive...

Matthew Williams Stephen wrote: "Could be worse. Could be the final lines of Mona Lisa Overdrive..."

I take it you didn't like that one much either? I never understood why some people felt it was the best of the three. Not a bad book, but in no way superior to Neuromancer and Count Zero

Stephen Palmer The book itself I think is pretty good, but as final revelations go the MLO one is terrible. Neuromancer is pretty much unbeatable though - must be great to write a novel that defines a whole era and sub-genre.

message 7: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz I personally found MLO's ending the most intriguing of the three, though "Neuromancer's" gave the best closure to its story. I thought the ending of this book, "Count Zero," was very dull, but then again I am a person who prefers things a bit more over the top.