Richard III discussion

Book Discussions > G by Christopher Rae

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (last edited Jul 07, 2011 05:40AM) (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 418 comments Here's another new e-book about Richard III, told by Francis Lovell. Haven't read the Kindle sample yet, but the book description is literate and coherent, which is refreshing:

G - Loyalty Binds Me

message 2: by Joan (new)

Joan Szechtman | 401 comments I also downloaded the sample, but haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 1139 comments Mod
Joan wrote: "I also downloaded the sample, but haven't had a chance to look at it yet."

Ditto here.

message 4: by Firefly (new)

Firefly | 10 comments Thank you again, Susan.

Love Lovell!

message 5: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 91 comments Ooooh!!!
Heh, I just appear to have downloaded Kindle for my PC so I can start reading a few of these kindle-only ebooks (like I don't have enough to read already...)

message 6: by Misfit (new)

Darkpool wrote: "Ooooh!!!
Heh, I just appear to have downloaded Kindle for my PC so I can start reading a few of these kindle-only ebooks (like I don't have enough to read already...)"

Careful these are habit forming...

message 7: by Misfit (new)

I looked a bit at the free sample last night and liked what I saw, the writing was literate and coherent. I'm a bit buried, but I will pick this one up when I'm in the mood.

message 8: by Susan (last edited Jul 10, 2011 06:41AM) (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 418 comments I was just reading it too. I thought the writing was good, but the author jumps around back and forth in time and spends very little time introducing the various historical characters to us. If I wasn't familiar with the history, I would have been thoroughly lost.

message 9: by Misfit (new)

That is good to know, thank you.

message 10: by Karin (new)

Karin Susan wrote: "Here's another new e-book about Richard III, told by Francis Lovell. Haven't read the Kindle sample yet, but the book description is literate and coherent, which is refreshing:

[book:G - Loyalty B..."

Have read this and really enjoyed a different perspective if Richard...Told by Francis Lovell it gives insight into the character of the man. I understand there is to be a sequel to this book....

message 11: by Misfit (new)

Good to hear that Karin. The Francis Lovell POV really intrigues me.

message 12: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar I thought the sample was okay so downloaded it too. Might be a while before I get to it though.

message 13: by Misfit (new)

Heh, looks like GR is catching up on the update emails. I just now received one regarding Jemidars comment of eight hours ago...

message 14: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar I got nothing yesterday, and woke up to a choked in box today...sigh.

message 15: by Misfit (new)

Same here, just woke up to 36 emails, most of which were now useless. Argh.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) Woke up to 87 emails.

message 17: by Plantagenista (new)

Plantagenista | 30 comments Misfit wrote: "Darkpool wrote: "Ooooh!!!
Heh, I just appear to have downloaded Kindle for my PC ..."

Careful these are habit forming... "

... and highly infectious, I would like to add.

Thank you, Darkpool, through your remark I learned that not having a kindle doesn't mean that I cannot read ebooks! ;-) Have downloaded the sampler, and agree, that it is worth a try. I'm very curious about this author's take.

By the way, the hog hunting scene reminded me of another Ricardian novel, if only I could remember which... Perhaps Palmer's The White Boar, Carleton's Under the Hog : A Novel of Richard III, or Whitford's Treason?
Would appreciate if anybody else could remember.

message 18: by Misfit (new)

I've read Treason and The White Boar, but it's been a while and nothing rings a bell. I did try Under the Hog once and it was very dry and dated and I returned it. That one is hard to find used, but I was able to get it via interlibrary loan.