Travel Literature Makes My Heart Beat Faster.. discussion

Recommended Books About Overland Travel

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Dwyer (johndwyer) | 82 comments Last year, I published the book High Road To Tibet - Travels in China, Tibet, Nepal and India, which describes my overland trek from China to India.
I've always enjoyed books that describe journeys across different countries or regions. What other overland travel books can you recommend?
Thanks,
John

message 2: by John (new)

John Raikkonen (rantala) | 5 comments I am the Author of: LIFE is an AMAZING SONG. The book falls into travel section. FINLAND-SWEDEN-GERMANY-USA AND CANADA are featured in the book. It is an uplifting memoir of a young boy's life.
www.LifesAmazingSong.com

message 3: by John (new)

John From Here to There - story of a father and son who travel by ship and van from Australia to London.

message 4: by Matt (new)

Matt (riverranger) | 7 comments ...hello. Hope it is okay to butt in!! For my part if you are talking 'overland' surely First Overland must fit in. A story of hardship & happiness, competition & coooperation & most importantly, Land Rovers! :-)

message 5: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 53 comments hey Srey!
I agree. To be honest it is all academic; I LOVE my 4 x 4 and bouncing in the desert is why I bought it. My better half finds long train journeys a trial, not that she likes bouncing in my 4x4 either. My mother seems not to mind it, maybe something to being a WREN in WWII. It takes all sorts.
I must admit I did not by my car to drive only on tarmac! Many people do but that's sad!

message 6: by John (new)

John Dwyer (johndwyer) | 82 comments Thanks for all the replies! When I said overland, I guess I was talking about any means of crossing a country/continent that doesn't involve a plane. Happily, bouncing along in a 4x4 is certainly in that bracket :-)
Any other books about epic overland travels? I read a great book by Peter Moore last year called The Wrong Way Home where he describes his journey home from London to Australia. Would be hard to beat in terms of distance covered anyway.
John

message 7: by Lou (new)

Lou Ureneck (louureneck) | 8 comments I recommend "In Patagonia." A classic, for good reason. Quirky, surprising, pungent, and more than a little bit strange from time to time.

message 8: by Matt (new)

Matt (riverranger) | 7 comments Harvey wrote: "hey Srey!
I agree. To be honest it is all academic; I LOVE my 4 x 4 and bouncing in the desert is why I bought it. My better half finds long train journeys a trial, not that she likes bouncing in m..."

Hi Harvey. Sounds splendid....not a lot of desert in Berkshire (UK)though sadly! Had a 4x4 & have done some green laning...but I have a problem with the environmental impact of that in the UK - not a problem in the desert.

Love reading about such things though & any type of 'challenging' transport, from bikes to ballonos! For example Throw Out Two Hands

message 9: by John (new)

John Dwyer (johndwyer) | 82 comments While trying - and failing - to bring some order to my bookcase, I came across two old but really excellent books about overland travel, Jupiter's Travels and Danziger's Travels: Beyond Forbidden Frontiers. Both really great books about traipsing across the world in the 70s and 80s.

John Dwyer, author of High Road To Tibet - Travels in China, Tibet, Nepal and India.

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott Downing | 3 comments My book Circling Yellowstone includes overland travel from Michigan to Yellowstone and eventually back again. In the interim there were also a couple of road trips to Utah and the Pacific Northwest. In other words, besides a summer of exciting adventure working and playing in Yellowstone National Park, we spent a lot of time exploring the U.S. in a stunningly uncomfortable compact car.