flight paths discussion

About the Group > shelving books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2268 comments to shelve your own books when you've posted about them in a discussion, here's how to do it:

1. From the group's home page click on the "bookshelf" link.

2. In the "add books" search box enter your book's title or title and author.

3. When you see your book on the results page, click on the "add to group" box. (You can first choose the edition of your choice by clicking on the "other editions" link right below that box if you'd like to do that.)

4. You'll then get to a box. The first thing you do is click on the "choose shelves" link.

5. Then, put a check mark on all the shelves that are applicable to your book.

6. Close that smaller shelves box. (ETA: This is sometimes, but not always, an optional step.)

7. In the big book box that remains, click save.

8. Voila! Your book will now be shelved in our group, and will be searchable in all the shelves you selected.

Have fun!

these instructions are copied from Lisa of the Comfort Reads group. We can all use them if uncertain how to add our own titles to group shelves

message 2: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2268 comments please feel free to initiate an idea for a shelf, or a book that belongs on one of the exixting ones.

message 3: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 749 comments Where are they going ? !!!!! I have the same issue ...

:-D (wishing for improved emoticons)

message 4: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2268 comments we obviously need a librarian!

message 5: by Melissa (last edited Sep 04, 2011 11:37AM) (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) The group has shelves already. . . I'm confused.

*raises hand* I'll be the librarian if you tell me what you want! I like helping out in groups.

message 6: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2268 comments flight paths was set up to be in fact a meta-group, concerned more with process than with particular books.

Right away there was a small revolt, and happily I lost out when I voted against the weekly book update, and the huge section on authors.I say happily, because these features have been popular. Also the Silliness & Salami section is a fine place to just vent or engage. In fact, our cross chatter is all over the map.

Some of the discussions havent yet gotten off the ground, but then, FP is still in its infancy, and not actively recruiting new members just yet. The plan is that anyone can add to the discussion at any time or post new topics. Each member can share their reading plan and their process for choosing their next book. We have had some insightful dialogue around this, and other topics that have suggested themselves.

The shelves are an integral part of FP. Right now though, I dont have the tech skills to reorder them.We have to follow GR template, which is organized by group reads. So far I have resisted group reads as they never seem to fit my own reading plan.

I am not sure that people really get it about the shelves. They are there for browsers to find specific recommendations. The names of the shelves cover a wide range of topics and is still incomplete, but the idea is if you want suggestions for books on any subject that you can find it on that shelf. For eg, you need a book on healing, or a humorous book, we have a healing shelf, and a laughable shelf. But no one, not even myself, has added much lately.

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) I nominate Melissa to serve as Group Librarian. :) Maybe in addition to assisting with shelving, she can bring some focus and meaning to our shelves.

message 8: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2268 comments if nobody objects, Melissa you're on!

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) Well, I'll see what I can do, but before I change anything, I'll let you all know what's what, so that you can give me feedback.

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) I'm going to start working on the shelves. Magdelanye and I have exchanged a few messages about the organization.

I think I'm beginning to understand her vision and so I'm going to move forward. Remember, if you don't like anything at all, I can always change things back, or re-arrange, etc. Nothing is ever permanent anyway is it, change is inevitable!

In reading over the paragraphs in M's messages above, it seems that books "to read" are probably not going to be included on our shelves, as the books shelved should be recommendations from you the reader, to others.

Is that correct?

message 11: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Nov 06, 2011 01:12AM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2268 comments Melissa wrote: "I'm going to start working on the shelves. Magdelanye and I have exchanged a few messages about the organization.

I think I'm beginning to understand her vision and so I'm going to move forward..."

Melissa thats great that you are taking some initiative. Sorry I missed you this morning: I got totally distracted with preparations for the panel discussion this afternoon and did not have the time. .
That was a brilliant move to place our star system together. It got a bit confused when we tried to integrate and was not at all presented coherently.
Now if there was only a way to isolate that list.
However, meh and ho hum are the same catagory,# 3.
#4 is the middle between yuck and brilliant.

so: 1) Yuck is the book you throw across the room, or in the bin. #2)Bleh was not liked at all.#) Meh is hohum, didnt live up to spec.mediocre, a bit tedious maybe, or total fluff, dismissable. And then there are the #4 good enough books, adaquate to their purpose, perhaps even passionate and fascinating but maybe not all that well written.
#5)very good would include better writing.#6) Wonderful are the books that we resonate with and love, even though we may not be able explain why and some part of us acknowledges they may not be of a level with the#7) brilliant and generally critically acclaimed masterpieces.

As for your question, you are correct.
How can we recommend something we havent read?
And we all already have heavy tbr obligations.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) Try as I might, I can't find a way for me to edit the shelf placement of books for the group. Unlike the bulk editing options for my own books, I don't see anything like that in the group shelves.

There are 21 books on the "to be read" shelf. Since our shelves are recommendations only, those books should only be "read".

Do the moderators of this group have more editing power over the shelves?

message 13: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2268 comments I dont think that moderators have editing power either.
Its all geared to their format. I tried to edit an entry just now and cpoldnt.
The to read designation is pretty arbitrary.

The original idea for the shelves was that it would include both topics (eg books on death, humor, whatever)and starter books (and I anticipated some discussion) for major authors and not just a list of their books. During a bout of enthusiasm, I think that got overlooked...hence all the graham greene, for instance. I would like to see a group faves shelf for random recommendations.With the haphazard enteries, we got the mess we are in.

The big question is, would it be easier just to start over?

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) I think the group needs to address that question. At this point, it looks like we may not be able to modify much.

I've been following the discussions in the GR Feedback group as well as the moderators group, and most of the comments have been suggestions to improve the shelving options for members and groups.

If we started over, there are some alternatives as to how to reorganize without losing what folks have added up to this point.

I can keep lists of what is there now, and add the same books to new shelves, though I don't think I would take on tracking and re-entering all the ratings. Or, everyone in the group could repopulate the new shelves after they are set up. Or perhaps a combination of these ideas?

message 15: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Jan 17, 2012 01:22AM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2268 comments if we started over, could we set it up any differntly?
the limitations are still there.
how are you working the shelves in your cooking group? because I would be surprised to find you have group mandated reads, like GR encourages and flight paths also does not use.
The ratings should be mostly top because after all, we do not want to be recommending shitty or even mediocre books.
It really is a library of best books.

Good to know you are following those other discussions. Have you asked them about the rigidity of the strucure we have to work with?

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) Well the discussions in the feedback group have been going on for sometime, all in the form of "please, can we have this" directed at GR. Right now, there are strong requests for sub-folder structure, as well as batch editing for group bookshelves, and for groups to have some shelves open to members to add books, and others closed.

I just had a random thought. Since we can't make the bookshelves conform to our needs (at least that I've been able to find), perhaps a temporary solution would be to set up a folder in the group, with separate threads for each bookshelf topic. Then one post in the thread could be "sticky", keeping it at the top, where a list of recommendations in the topic is compiled.

The booklists in the top post could be structured so that all titles were links to the book.

message 17: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2268 comments eee.that sounds very labour intensive.
maybe we should poll the group to see how important these shelves are. But uh, duh, they are obviously NOT important because they are not being used because they are a mess.

I shouldnt even be here, got a show in an hour and just checking some facts, but GR is like a magnet, and I peeked and saw your message .

Hope you are feeling more centered and enjoying the sun down there as we have been.

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) It's snowing. Bleah.

message 19: by Jim (new)

Jim Melissa wrote: "Try as I might, I can't find a way for me to edit the shelf placement of books for the group. Unlike the bulk editing options for my own books, I don't see anything like that in the group shelves...."

I'm not entirely understanding what you want to do with the bookshelves, but it is a simple matter to move books from one shelf to another.

1. To the far right for a given book you'll see 'view' and 'edit' in green. Click the edit button.

2. A window opens. Select 'choose shelves'.

3. Click away, until the book is on the shelf or shelves it needs to be on. Then click the 'close' button on the right hand corner of the 'choose shelves' window.

4. Click the grey 'save group book' button in the lower left corner and voila! The book is re-shelved.

Is that what you were wanting to do?

message 20: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments I vote Jim reshelves the books! (just kidding)

message 21: by Thing Two (new)

Thing Two (thingtwo) I second that (not kidding)!

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) *sputter* . . okay, Jim is right, there is a way to edit the shelves for the books.

I was hoping for a batch edit method, so that I can efficiently reorganize the library into a new organization. . . no batch edit for group shelves.

At least there are only 18 or so "to read" books, and I can change those quickly.

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) No offense to HRO, who worked hard to enter all the Greene books on the bookshelves, but perhaps only the top one or two best representative books for a new reader of Greene's should be on our shelves? I bring this up, because I've been trying to come up wiht a way to organize author recommendations. . I haven't read any by Greene by the way.

If someone is looking for a list of Greene's books, they just need to search his name in GR, right?

message 24: by Jim (new)

Jim Melissa wrote: "*sputter* . . okay, Jim is right, there is a way to edit the shelves for the books.

I was hoping for a batch edit method, so that I can efficiently reorganize the library into a new organization...."

Sorry! Didn't mean to cause a sputter! LOL!

I know what you mean about batch editing. Sometimes I think of some brilliant new scheme for my own bookshelves and end up wasting an hour or two moving books around title-by-title.

message 25: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2268 comments it occurs to me that what the shelves really need is more titles! Some of them are empty, most have only a title I'd love to see everybody adding their own suggestions.
Sub folders would be great to have, alto do we need them for the authors? My idea was that the authors shelf would have one book for every author that has written more than 4 books. All someone wanting a recommendation for a starter book for any author, just go to the author shelf and the book there would be it. Unless we wanted to double it- a starter book and the quintessebtial book. We could easily start a fairly comprehensive author list, alphabetical, and everybody can add their suggestions.
There should be a forum for debate because not everyone will agree :-)
I think this could be an important feature that we could offer to GRs.
As for Graham Greene,I seem to remember there is a thread on him in which this has already commenced. I should add, that it was because of Kinkajou's enthusiasm that I read my first Graham Greene and anticipate reading more. He has tons of books so extremely helpful to know, where to start.
Therefore, all due respect to Kink and HRO, unless they are passionately opposed, only the recommended starter book and the quintessential best book should remain on the shelves.The others, as you note, can easily be found elsewhere. I can imagine some lively debate on which is the book that if you only read one Dickens, say, or DeLillo, or Heinlen, which would it be?
Jim, thanks for your input. I never consider it a waste of time to play with my physical shelves

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim Magdelanye wrote: "I can imagine some lively debate on which is the book that if you only read one Dickens, say, or DeLillo, or Heinlen, which would it be?..."

Our Mutual Friend, Americana, and Stranger in a Strange Land...

...just sayin'

message 27: by Ellie (last edited Jan 17, 2012 03:21AM) (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments what he said.

message 28: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) Ok, one author shelf coming up. Huzzah! We are making progress!

message 29: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) And, I bet we won't have much trouble populating the categories of 1 or 2 stars at least.

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) Can't edit on cell phone.

@ Jim, no problem at all (wipes spit from chin)

message 31: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2268 comments Melissa wrote: "And, I bet we won't have much trouble populating the categories of 1 or 2 stars at least."

indeed: we need a shelf for Over=rated and one for to=be=avoided or read-at-your-peril.

The discussion could be in the sub folder.

message 32: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2268 comments Melissa wrote: "And, I bet we won't have much trouble populating the categories of 1 or 2 stars at least."

(um, if this is repititous, it seems like my last comment did not post.}

I propose a shelf for AVOID or read-at-your-own peril, for the truly horrible books we hate
and a highly overrated shelf,
with sub folders for discussion.

@jim no debate there, but
can't believe I never heard of the delillo....oh thanks

message 33: by Jim (new)

Jim Magdelanye wrote: "@jim no debate there, but
can't believe I never heard of the delillo....oh thanks ..."

After I read White Noise, I read some of his earlier work and particularly enjoyed Americana.

message 34: by Melissa (last edited Jan 17, 2012 01:10PM) (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) Waaaaaaa. I can't add shelves, only edit the names of existing ones.

Magdelanye, is there a group option that members can add shelves?

Also, I changed the name of the Graham-greene shelf to authors. We need to pare down the Greene books now. I'm not even going to go there personally.

Did anyone hear about the hip-hop airline attendant at Southwest Airlines? Magdelanye, are you going to start doing hip-hop for us since you are the Senior flight attendenat?

message 35: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2268 comments grrrr I certainly cant figure it out. Obviously I created those shelves but now it doesnt have that handy little add shelves button, only add books.

But I did notice that Jim has managed to add a play shelf, and a French one too! How didja do that Jim?

I never heard of the hip hop airline attendent, and I will admit that I only 'got it' when I saw K'naan live a few years back BUT i am a poet/dancer and as my teacher Gabrielle Roth has taught us, you can dance to a jackhammer and turn that noise into music :-)

message 36: by Jim (new)

Jim Magdelanye wrote: "grrrr I certainly cant figure it out. Obviously I created those shelves but now it doesnt have that handy little add shelves button, only add books.

But I did notice that Jim has managed to add ..."

Okay, I'll tell you, but no sputtering!

In message #19 above, follow the same instructions. In step 2, when you select 'choose shelves' the window that opens shows you all the shelves available. You will also see a blue scroll bar on the right. Scroll down to the bottom of that window and you see 'New shelf' and an empty box. Type the name of the shelf you want to create and click the 'Save' button. Presto! New shelf. Then continue with the rest of the steps listed above, as needed.

Yes, it should be easier than that, but it's not...

message 37: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Jan 18, 2012 12:24AM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2268 comments so Ive been fooling around here a bit( GR is telling me no time has elapsed but the signal is over now its got to be at least an hour later) and note two exciting things: when you add a book to a shelf, which is in fact a bit laborious, you have an option to create a folder for discussion. I always skip the parts about discussion leaders and dates, and until now hadnt taken note of the folder option. I am not sure how it will show up but I've tried a few things.

Also: polls. We can poll the membership for suggestions from time to time, how about that?

message 38: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 749 comments Melissa wrote: "Waaaaaaa. I can't add shelves, only edit the names of existing ones.

Although Jim has answered this, as long as you are a member you can add a shelf (in the long winded way).

Of course we can give you Moderator status and bow down & worship.

message 39: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) Worship? Are there perks that come with worship? Chocolate?

I'm going to look at the shelf adding process again. I am almost sure I knew how to do this a few months ago but then the holidays happened . . Hmm.

As to polls they would work well for resolving book selections.

message 40: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2268 comments Odd...when I left here yesterday my last comment was right next to the previous one and both read posted 0 minutes ago, although some time had elapsed. I guess it takes time to process these things but it gives me an eerie feeling when things get rearranged or swallowed.
I am aware of an overseer.

That said, its probably for the best, because if I would have seen Jims comment then, I would probably have been up all night ;-!

I vote we make Melissa and Jim official librarians status on moderator page.

As for worship, the only thing we at Flight Paths worship is free flight. Flp is designed to be non hierarchical.Flight attendents serve the passengers. But we are all passengers. We are documenting our routes and discovering new intellectual territory, shared vision, and charting new flights of fancy. We are not bound by the rational. The rewards are immeasurable but sorry, no worship and no chocolate.

Still interested?

message 41: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 749 comments I think the 'Union' needs a meeting in Hotel Chocolat !

The bookshelves are 'free issue' to all members , not sure about the Polls .......

message 42: by Jim (new)

Jim Magdelanye wrote: "I vote we make Melissa and Jim official librarians status on moderator page..."

Okay, but instead of a flight attendant can I be the ground crew guy with the two cone-shaped orange flashlights that guides the plane to the gate?

"Little to the left. Now straight. Ea-sy. Ea-sy. Okay, STOP!"

message 43: by Ice, Pilgrim (last edited Jan 18, 2012 08:43AM) (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 749 comments Polls are free issue to all members.

Titles can only be assigned to moderators, (seems unfair), so we just need a prompt from Melissa (and possibly) Jim to raise them to a titled level.

(Perhaps any member wanting a title can be promoted) truly free flight!

Something more original than Head Librarian in keeping with the spirit of FP i/d's.

:-)

message 44: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2268 comments lets start with graham greene and whittle that down.
this might coax Kinkajou into the discussion :-)

@jim ground control and an array of light!

I feel like the library is finally going to get somewhere

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) Okay, I'm fine with this, but I don't actually get on airplanes voluntarily, so my title will need to be inspired by other modes of flight.

The rapping flight attendant can be seen on YouTube--according to NPR.

Long day at work today, must go to sleep now. Sweet dreams to all.

message 46: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2268 comments Kinkajou wrote: "You talkin' to me?

How can I say no to someone who mentions Graham Greene. Okay, I gotta make this quick and you guys are NOT going to suck me back in until... well, whenever.

Anyway, Graham Gre..."

thanks for the input Kinkajou!

Melissa, note our logo is a bee in a flower :-)

do you think you could put Kinkajous comments above in a folder under GG in the author file?

I think his short stories are a great intro to the power and the variety of his writing

message 47: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) I would be more than happy to take care of putting the comments in a folder . . .

However, it does appear that the other Melissa in the group h now has mod status, instead of me. Oops!

message 48: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 749 comments Melissa wrote: "I would be more than happy to take care of putting the comments in a folder . . .

However, it does appear that the other Melissa in the group h now has mod status, instead of me. Oops!"

now fixed but titleless for the moment.

message 49: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) *sigh* Titleless. Mulling it over.

message 50: by Jim (new)

Jim Melissa wrote: "*sigh* Titleless. Mulling it over."

Why don't you go for "Captain"?

« previous 1