A Visit from the Goon Squad A Visit from the Goon Squad discussion

Anybody Listening to the Audiobook?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandi I downloaded the audio version of A Visit from the Goon Squad because it was on sale on iTunes this month. (It went on sale at Audible yesterday too.) I haven't started listening to it yet, but I will when I'm done with my current audiobook.

Has anyone listened to this book rather than reading the text? How is the audio production?

Marcia I'm listening to it--loaded on the iPod for my daily walk. The audio version is very well done. The reviews indicate a powerpoint chapter is coming up, so I'm not sure how that will translate.

Sarah I'd be curious how the audio version handles the PowerPoint chapter. Would one of you be willing to report back?

Sandi What's the title of the PowerPoint chapter?

Fran Same question here, Power Point? Huh?

Judy Sandi wrote: "I downloaded the audio version of A Visit from the Goon Squad because it was on sale on iTunes this month. (It went on sale at Audible yesterday too.) I haven't started listening t..."

I'm just starting the audio version, so will comment on it soon!

message 7: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay I listened to this on audio, but had checked the book out from the library for reference during this chapter. I found the book unnecessary - the audio did have the sound of a slide projector forwarding to new slide to differentiate each page, but there were no audio clues as to the topic or word order on the slide. In truth, the slide layout itself, while interesting/novel, didn't add much to the words.

Rachel I downloaded the audiobook from Audible.com and they also give you a powerpoint to download with it. Through the first two chapters and loving Sasha so far!

Rachel I just listened to the audio version of the PowerPoint chapter, and it worked pretty well. I didn't have any trouble understanding it, for the most part. In fact, in some ways it was better because I didn't have to sit and decipher what should be read first, in the jumble of words that appear on each slide. The narrator does the hard work for you there.

However, I was bored out of my mind during the last several slides, which represent charts/graphs. The narrator walked through each point and the underlying numbers, one by one. For one thing, it seemed to go on forever and was, like I said, boring. For another thing, you don't get the real idea of the trend that the chart/graph is showing.

After I listened to it, I found the PowerPoint on the Internet, and quickly skimmed through it (you can find it with a simple Google search). So don't worry about listening to the audio version--you can look up this chapter if you feel like you're missing out.

Carly I actually liked that I listened to the PowerPoint chapter. I don't think I would have read everything on the slides. The only problem I had was it was hard to keep track of characters and how everyone was related.