High School Counseling, coun525 discussion

Poverty

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (last edited Jul 06, 2011 05:28PM) (new)

Theresa (ttemplin) | 27 comments In the first part of the book, Junior talks about being poor and how his grandparents, great grandparents, etc. were all poor. What do you do to break the cycle?

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 20 comments I think it is important for individuals to really look at their life and discuss what they are doing that may or may not be leading them down that same path and if that is what they truely want out of life. By pointing out positive strengths that the individual has can maybe help to make a slight change of the cycle.

message 3: by Hollie (new)

Hollie Adair | 26 comments Generational poverty is an amazingly difficult cycle to break. I think as an educator/counselor, it's prolonged exposure to the messages that there are opportunities for the student (Arnold or whomeover) paired with positive, encouraging messages. I would try to get them connected with any additional resources such as ASPIRE, TRiO, College Dreams, whatever school programs are available to build a support network for the student. It's hard for a student to take a step when they don't know how or feel it's unsafe.

message 4: by Theresa (new)

Theresa G | 26 comments I think being able to help the student find a career that interests them is the first step, then use resources to help the student obtain a post-secondary education such as scholarships and financial aid.