History is Not Boring discussion

What are you reading Sept 2008

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (mother_of_dinosaurs) What are you reading this month of September 2008.

The Last Campaign and 82 days That Inspired America by Thurston Clark. It's a fantastic book and a must read for any Robert F. Kennedy fan like myself.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim ULYSSES by Joyce
ROME 1960 THE OLYMPICS THAT CHANGED THE WORLD by David Maraniss

any one know of a good annotated book of Ulysess?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

message 4: by Newtqueen (new)

Newtqueen A History of Britain, Volume II: The Wars of the British 1603-1776--I love Schama.

message 5: by James (last edited Sep 28, 2008 04:37AM) (new)

James The books I'm most actively reading right now are
1. The Beast Reawakens, which is about the resurgence of fascist and neofascist movements since World War II - written in 1997, meticulously researched and documented and quite disturbing; and
2. A Time to Fight, by Senator Jim Webb, about his perspective on America's present and future priorities and how to address them. Senator Webb is one of my heroes. He served with skill and courage as a Marine officer in Vietnam and was wounded in combat, is a critically acclaimed novelist, served for four years in the Reagan administration, then concluded that the Republicans had lost their way and successfully ran for the Senate as a Democrat from Virginia in 2006; throughout the campaign, he wore a pair of combat boots belonging to his son, who was then serving in Iraq as a Marine. As he puts it, he's probably the only person ever elected to the Senate with a union card, two Purple Hearts, and three tattoos.

message 6: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Crazy Cat Lady (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1011 comments Mod
Copperheads, which is about the "Peace Democrats" in the North during the American Civil War.

Interesting subject, but it reads like a thesis that got published, which I suspect is exactly what it is.

message 7: by Marian (new)

Marian (gramma) | 98 comments Just finished Kristin Lavransdatter & wanted to read something completely different so I am reading "Nemesis" by Chalmers Johnson which is about how the American Republic is being overturned by the rising military-Industrial complex. He doesn't like globolization, either, but it's an interesting read, & so far he has his facts right. Also 30 pages of endnotes.

message 8: by Boreal Elizabeth (last edited Sep 30, 2008 11:07AM) (new)

Boreal Elizabeth | 145 comments goethe's faust
altho i'm sort of in a reading drought
reading very minimally other than work related and social interaction on music and goodreads forums
i know i should put that in the heresy thread

oops-that is in another group

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading "Pride and Prejudice" and "A Tale of Two Cities" lol!