Goodreads Malaysia discussion

Arkib II > Book Depository akan dibeli oleh Amazon? :(

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Najibah, Penterjemah yang mencintai kata-kata (last edited Jul 06, 2011 02:28PM) (new)

Najibah Abu Bakar (najabakar) | 2843 comments Mod
Amazon plot thickens in Book Depository buyout

Who'd be a bookseller in this day and age? The Kindle enables us to shun print, ink and binding in favour of downloading thousands of titles onto a handheld gizmo.
Books are available to buy at such low prices online they make Waterstone's staple 'three for the price of two' offer look somewhat dog-eared.

Falling sales as Waterstone's prompted its former owner HMV to off-load it to Russian billionaire Alexander Mamut for £53m. He appointed James Daunt to run the shops. Daunt has said a successful bookshop needs three elements: "really good books", a "really nice environment" and "really good people".

It sounds simple, but the business of books is not quite so cuddly. The latest plot twist is American giant Amazon's purchase of British rival The Book Depository for an undisclosed sum. Its Irish-born founder Andrew Crawford vows the acquisition will not affect the company's independence.

Now there's some concern that the takeover could increase Amazon's stranglehold over the online books trade in the UK. OFT is expected to announce an investigation.

The Book Depository will have made an attractive proposition to Amazon, as it had operating profit of £2.3m on sales of £69m in the year to June 2010, and those profit figures are thought to have gotten even better. It has also located much of its business in Egypt where operating costs are cheaper.

It wants to sell "less of more" rather than "more of less," deliberately avoiding front-loading with bestsellers in order to attract custom.

With a father who ran an international trading business from Africa, founder and former chief executive Mr Crawford has always shown independence of thought. After leaving security company Group 4 following a two-year traineeship, he worked for Book Pages, a small bookseller which was flogging books over the internet when the idea of doing so was in its infancy. It was eventually sold to Amazon.

Crawford left, and started up The Book Depository a few years later in 2004, with a desire to make all book titles available to all. He worked on the company's supply chain so that it could send books anywhere for free and aimed for the small business holy grail of 'the long tail' - selling high numbers of those low-demand products at the tail-end of a demand curve.

Now Amazon has pulled that long tail, with Mr Crawford's baby being bought by the big company for which he once worked.

It's been a circular kind of plot, but it remains to be seen whether this corporate marriage will be a happy one.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/bus...

message 2: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

Khairul Hezry | 2357 comments Mod
I love Amazon so I don't see a problem here. Amazon is usually cheaper because even though Book Depository says they ship the books for free, it is actually just marketing double-talk. What they do is they add the shipping charges onto the price of the book so it's not really free shipping. I rarely buy from BD and the few times I have was because Amazon did not have the book in stock or did not have it in the edition I wanted (hardcover).

Amazon's discounts are more substantial, sometimes 50% and occasionally 60% for old books they can't get rid of. They are a giant and this is what giants do; they take over the small guy. As long as they agree to ship books to M'sia, I don't care whose business they take over.

message 3: by Najibah, Penterjemah yang mencintai kata-kata (new)

I have emotional attachment towards BD already, mostly because I feel Amazon's shipping cost do burdened someone like me.

Plus I don't really like monopoly - but since its business owner has no qualms about it, yes, there BD goes. Hopefully it will not change anything about cost for shipping.

message 4: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

We're weird, aren't we? I 'love' Amazon, you have 'emotional attachment' towards BD. They are just book sellers. They don't even have a shop. It's all online.

What is wrong with us?

Yes, I hate monopoly as well (it's un-Islamic for one thing) but these people worship capitalism, so what to do?

message 5: by Juliana Es (new)

Juliana Es (julianaes) | 857 comments Mod
Khairul H. wrote: "...even though Book Depository says they ship the books for free, it is actually just marketing double-talk. "

Not in my case. I always double check the price + cost of shipping for books that I want to buy from overseas, at both Amazon and BD. BD comes as a winner every time.

I'm like Najibah. My attachment to BD grows every time I have a problem with the book(s) during and after delivery, and the staff there is always understanding and accommodating.

However, having said that, there was once that I noticed a change of tone (probably it's just my perspective) in one of the email correspondences - not by the same BD staff, though. That was when I said to myself, what is the #$%&*&& wrong with BD now?

message 6: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

I usually buy in bulk from Amazon, more than two books in one shipment just to make the shipping costs berbaloi. If there's only one book I want that day/week/month, I'll put in in my wishlist first until I can find a 'partner' for it.

message 7: by Juliana Es (new)

Khairul H. wrote: "I usually buy in bulk from Amazon, more than two books in one shipment just to make the shipping costs berbaloi. If there's only one book I want that day/week/month, I'll put in in my wishlist firs..."

I never bought in bulk from BD, but I'd also at least buy 2 books. Still, by comparison, it's not worth it to buy from Amazon when you add the cost of shipping, 'coz the big discount is also another marketing trick. One book may have a generous discount, while the other may not.

This is a rather pointless discussion. You'd keep taking Amazon's side, and Najibah and I may keep defending our beloved BD.

message 8: by Najibah, Penterjemah yang mencintai kata-kata (new)

Yep, I agree with Bunnybaby. The book price at Amazon will be cheaper at about USD 2-4 than BD, but add that to shipping cost, per shipping and per item. I wonder why can't they remove the per shipping cost. Even Thrift Books, the second hand giant, can make do without it. I only pay 4.99 usd per item.

Hehe, argument of a poor woman, literally poor, always in term of money and spending.

message 9: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (last edited Jul 10, 2011 01:34AM) (new)

Maybe they give so much discounts that they have to make the money from somewhere hence the per shipping cost. But until we have access to their accounting books, we'll never know for sure.

message 10: by Faizah Roslaini (new)

Faizah Roslaini | 825 comments Mod
ah sungguh ke? Ini menyedihkan. Walaupun pembelian secara online saya boleh dikira dengan jari, saya ada dua2 akaun dan selalu membandingkan buku yang saya minat antara kedua duanya.

BD pada saya lebih murah bila dicampur shipping cost Amazon.

Macam mana gamaknya mahu dikekalkan cara BD beroperasi?

Sudah macam Bodyshop juga. Bodyshop pun dibeli gergasi Amerika. Loreal kalau tak silap

message 11: by Juliana Es (new)

Faizah Roslaini menulis: "Bodyshop pun dibeli gergasi Amerika. Loreal kalau tak silap "

Faizah, peminat The Body Shop juga ke? Kwang! Kwang! Kwang! Samalah kita.

Polisi TBS, sejak diambil-alih oleh L'oreal, kebanyakannya tak berubah. Yang berubah ialah produknya. Asyik discontinued aje, bosan aku. Antara polisi yang dah 'pupus' dari TBS ialah refill. Mana ada lagi dah sekarang ni.

So, saya menjangkakan kalau BD benar-benar akan dibeli oleh Amazon, mungkin sedikit sebanyak ada perubahan juga. Biasalah.

message 12: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

Facemask dia jual lagi tak kat Body Shop? Dah lama tak beli...alamak, pecah rahsia!

message 13: by Faizah Roslaini (new)

Faizah Roslaini | 825 comments Mod
oh. Padanlah ya dah tak ada refill tu. Saya nak kata minat sangat tu bolehla tapi nak beli sokmo pun tak boleh juga. Berlubang poket.

Facemask kalau en kh nak try cuba st ives/freeman punya clay mask. Bagus untuk umur 30 tahun ke atas kehkeh

message 14: by Juliana Es (last edited Jul 10, 2011 11:17PM) (new)

Kalau Pak Incik KH nak cuba Blue Corn Scub Mask, pun boleh juga. Masih ada lagi di The Body Shop. Hee hee!

message 15: by Najmuddin, Tok Mudin (new)

Najmuddin (mudin001) | 998 comments Mod
For me, it's bad news.