Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Mystery > Discussion: Strong female sleuths

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (last edited Jul 06, 2011 02:18PM) (new)

Jill Edmondson (jilledmondson) | 9 comments I have started a list and would love to hear some feedback about tough but sexy female sleuths.

"Best Hardboiled Chick Detectives" should include the female version of detectives like Spenser, Scudder, and the works of authors like Chandler.

Down these mean streets they must go, but in heels. Who should be on the list?

I did a paper on this topic for my MA in 2007, so there must be lots of new stuff out there that I have yet to discover.

Check Listopia or comment here.

Naturally, I said Sasha Jackson must be on the list (titles Blood and Groom, and Dead Light District) plus Marcia Muller, Sue Grafton... And?

Cheers, JillBlood and Groom

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill Edmondson (jilledmondson) | 9 comments WHat about Linda Barnes? Kathy Reichs? And of course Robin Spano for her gal Clare Vengel in Dead Politician Society.

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 49 comments If you like some science fiction with your hard-boiled chick detectives, there's the "In Death" series by "J.D. Robb" (Nora Roberts), featuring Eve Dallas and her superb sidekick, Delia Peabody.

I'll also (immodestly) add my own Deborah Rabinowitz in Alien Murders (Deborah Rabinowitz Mysteries) by Stephen Goldin . Only a pair of published novelettes so far, but more planned.

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 49 comments Oh, and let's not forget Karen Kijewski's Kat Colorado books!

message 5: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 69 comments Anita Black, Laurell Hamilton's necromancing vampire-slaying detective was a real bad-ass in the first 8-10 books of the series. Then not so much after that. But the paranormal elements of the stories made them better than the average detective stories.

message 6: by Russell (new)

Russell Cruse (russellcruse) | 9 comments My detective is an investigative reporter, Rebecca Daley. Her first adventure can be found here:

Amazon UK
Head Count.

Kindle
Head Count.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 27, 2011 03:45PM) (new)

I too admire that take-no-prisoner's attitude with women protagonists. There are certainly plenty to chose from and I hope you'll consider my humorous mysteries. I have to say, one reader called my protagonist "annoying." Gee, thanks! That's just what I was going for. Lalla Bains woman crop-duster series: A DEAD RED CADILLAC and A DEAD RED HEART just $.99 on Kindle
www.rpdahlke.com

message 8: by J.R. (new)

J.R. | 448 comments Flora Vastine warranted no more than a couple paragraphs in Something In Common, first of my Sticks Hetrick mysteries.
Since then, Flora has become a major player, warranting nearly as much space as does Hetrick. Flora is young and energetic. She has enthusiasm and genuinely cares about other people. Occasionally she makes mistakes and gets in trouble. All of which make her very human.

message 9: by M. (new)

M. Myers (mruth) | 30 comments I always think of hardboiled as applying only to professional investigators -- private investigators, insurance and maybe investigative reporters. What parameters do you set? (Besides mean streets; love your line on this.)

message 10: by M. (new)

M. Myers (mruth) | 30 comments Jill, this seems the place to ask: At some point on goodreads I think I saw a group called something like Tough Chick Lit. Now I can't find it. Does it ring any bells? Thanks.

message 11: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Thorson (jennthorson) | 65 comments I always liked Tuppence Beresford from Agatha Christie's stories. She was quirky and girly, but daring, and dabbled in the spy trade.

message 12: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Cross | 6 comments There are lots of great female sleuths, but there should be even more, given that 80% of readers are women. I like Kathy Reichs & Robin Spano as mentioned here.

I've just recently discovered Tess Gerritsen (don't know why it took me so long), but her characters are great. Lisa Scottoline is also one of my favorites - Bennie Rosato and the other women in her stories are tough and quirky - and funny too :)

message 13: by Harini (new)

Harini Gopalswami Srinivasan (harinigs) My two favourites -- Dorothy L Sayers' Harriet Vane and Agatha Christie's Miss Marple. The main sleuth in the former series is Peter Wimsey, but Harriet does a fair amount of detection too, notably in "Gaudy Night". She's uncompromising and gutsy, I really like her. Of course, gentle, fluffy, sharp-as-a-knife Miss Marple needs no introduction.