High School Counseling, coun525 discussion

Parent Meeting

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn | 20 comments Junior's parents seem to have some difficulty just getting him to school. How do you arrange a meeting with parents who have a difficult time getting to the school? What are some options you have?

message 2: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Boese | 20 comments Living in a small community helps in this situation. Families are able to walk to the school when they do not have access to a vehicle. If work is a concern, the counselor in town has informed me she is usually able to work a 30min break into a working parents day in order to meet about their child. I know in arizona our counselor even made home visits or arranged to have someone watch their younger children while in the meeting. Flexibility is the key as a counselor in my mind.

message 3: by Karla (new)

Karla Cummings | 23 comments We have actually met with parents at their homes or at work. Myself, our counselor, and another teacher went to a student's home last year and it was sad. I think it would be great for everyone to experience that at some point. Really gives a clarity of what situations these kids are living in and what they are battling outside of school.