High School Counseling, coun525 discussion

New Student

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn | 20 comments Junior enters his new high school in the middle of the year. What is one thing you could do as his counselor to make him feel welcome?

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 31 comments I would personally bring him around to each of his classes and introduce him because that is a hard thing to do and is often embarrassing to the student. At our school we have a buddy system for students that do not know anyone in the school system. We pair up a very outgoing studing with the new student for a couple of days so the new student feels comfortable. The outgoing student is given a special pass because he/she will be walking the new student to class, lunch, etc. so the outgoing student will not be counted tardy.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura | 20 comments I think it would be important to provide a tour of the school so he would know where things were that he would be needing throughout the day (classrooms, bathroom, lunchroom, gym, lockers, etc.)

message 4: by Eden (new)

Eden Cuypers | 15 comments Giving Junior a tour would be a great idea, plus I would try and meet with him and his parents to answer any questions that they would have about starting school. I really agree with Brenda on using the buddy system. We have also done that at the schools in Valley City in order to help students create a connection or even a friendship right away.

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri Court | 25 comments If I was Junior and starting at a new school I would be glad to have a buddy on the first day as Brenda suggested. One of the most difficult times of the day for new students is lunch time. It would be nice to have a genuinely, friendly, student ambassador who makes you feel truly welcome until you are able to make some friends in classes, your new neighborhood or through sports or clubs you join. Great idea for school counselors to implement this!