Tudor History Lovers discussion

Tudor Roses

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments I was just over on Tudorhistory.org and found a question about Tudor Roses. Roses today are hybrids that weren't seen back in the Tudor world. The poster of the question asked what Tudor roses may have looked like. One person answered that Tudor Roses are considered "old roses" and in fact still do exist. Their name is Rosa Damascena Versicolor. After a quick google search, I found some really cool pictures of them. Tudor Roses are something that I never really thought of, but after seeing these pics, I totally understand now why the Tudor Rose crest looks the way it does! Thought some of ya would be interested in this!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Cool, ALy. I am off to check them out. Being a rose fan, I was aware that old roses looked totally different from the hybrids that we are used to these days. On the other hand, I never thought to look up the Tudor Rose to see what a real one looked like.

message 3: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments It was something that I had just never really thought of before. I love finding out new random things!

message 4: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Thanks for posting those! That's awesome. I've never thought about the roses either and you know how much I also love finding out random things ;)

message 5: by Orsolya (new)

Orsolya (orsolya_d) | 138 comments I always sort of figured that is how they would have appeared. I see these types of roses in people's yard and just assumed they were some sort of wild rose.

Thanks for the info!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Aly, I googled it too, and realised that they look a lot like some roses I have in my garden. The roses are smaller than your normal rose, and also their stems are thinner, making them look a little flimsy... I always just thought they opened too much (if you know what I mean? They're not as stiff as the roses you'd find in a store) and that's why they looked like that :), I had no idea what they realy were! Amazing

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) So you have Tudor Roses growing in your garden, Niecole? Somehow that really doesn't surprise me, lol.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Hehe... yeah aparently I have.
Their white thow... does that make them false?
They always reminded me of baby roses, they're heads are smaller

message 9: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments I personally don't like the look of new roses, but I really liked the old roses that I found on Google. They kinda look like tiny peonies. Niecole, that's awesome about the roses in your garden!!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree Aly, they do look like tiny peonies, and peonies are my favorite flowers :)

Yeah, I feel kind of good having them in my garden, even if I didnt know what they really were :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Our roses are currently pruned so there are no buds, but when they start blooming I'll take some pictures and post them on here