Love With The Lights Off discussion

The World Around Us > The Black Void : DEPRESSION

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaimey, The Other Queen (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 129 comments Mod
Do you suffer from depression?
How do you cope?
What do you do when you're too depressed to write or even read?

And my real question:
Do you consider depression a weakness?

What are your thoughts? Please be honest. I've suffered from depression most of my life and I'm curious to know how others deal with their own depression.

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) I have suffered from depression on and off since the 1980's. Stuck in a job I was not fond of, and going nowhere, unable to find a good man, and always living paycheck to paycheck, I found myself wishing sometimes that God would take me home. As the years passed, I came back to my faith in God which really helped me. but I am still on anti-depressants, I seem to suffer from panic attacks if I go off them.
It had impacted my writing. After publishing "The Phantom's Redemption" in 2008 at age 68, I was happy that I had been able to write a book. But writing a sequel got bogged down after chapter 4, and although I have written a couple of Phantom based short stories, I still have one that has been sitting there half finished for quite a while, and another that I have in my head but have never started.
I suffer from severe arthritis, am in a wheelchair, and the pain is definitely part of my problem. Sitting at a desk is difficult, and I find as days pass, I can stay less time. I have decided to buy a laptop so I can enjoy the computer in my recliner. Will that help? I don't know. I like wriitng, wish I had started many years ago. I always wanted to, but wiritng by hand was so hard, and the typewriters I have were constantly giving me problems. So I gave up that dream, and it was not until I saw the movie, "The Phantom of the Opera" that my desire to write was awakened.
I am not trying to push God or faith on anyone, but it did help me a lot.
I rarely ever get to the point where I can't read, unless it is because of fatugue and I fall asleep with a book in my lap. I know depression causes fatugue, and that one is hard to fight.
I hope this helps you and I pray things will get better and better for you.
Hugs,
Anne

message 3: by Linda, The Queen (new)

Linda Boulanger (linda_boulanger) | 35 comments Mod
Talk about the black void! As many of you know, my family has gone through multiple hardships starting with some personal medical issues that I battled through summer 2010. In November my daughter collapsed from a brain hemorrhage and had to have subsequent brain surgery in Feb. That was a miraculous battle. My cousin also died of bone cancer, and my sister battled lung, brain, and pancreatic cancer during this time. She died the end of July, 2011. All of this left me in a state from which I wasn't sure I would emerge. And I learned last week that I've been battling low thyroid levels all this time (though very controllable, thankfully). Through it all, great friends, my writing, and helping others recognize their writing dreams through my publishing company has kept me going. It's amazing that the written word can be so powerful!

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (Kris65) | 10 comments Linda wrote: "Talk about the black void! As many of you know, my family has gone through multiple hardships starting with some personal medical issues that I battled through summer 2010. In November my daughter ..."

love you, Linda!

message 5: by Tianna (new)

Tianna Holley | 3 comments I've suffered with depression on and off my entire life. In fact, I wouldn't be a writer without it. As a teenager, the only way to get my feelings out was to write very dark poetry. I stopped writing and things got better, but in my late thirties, everything in my life crashed within a year's time. I went back on the anti-depressant pills, went down to under 100 pounds, and sleeping pills did not work. In the end, I became consumed with a story. Since I wasn't sleeping, I started writing for myself but found the story to be good, real good. That's when I decided to have it published. Now, I'm out of the pit once again and can honestly say life is good (except I'm gaining weight since I'm no longer stressed). I now look back on the novel I wrote and go, "Wow! That's how dark it was for me. I had to write." The book titled Unexpected Metamorphosis was the perfect name. I just recently realized it describes me as a writer. The novel changed my life drastically from a homeschooling mom filled with chaos to a very happy career woman. Nothing was planned. It just happened, and it took a LOT of darkness to get there.

Once I'm done with this series, I plan to write about depression and be open about it. It's not a weakness, and I want to use my writing to help others.