Creative Reviews discussion

?'s for the Members of CR > Tweeting @ authors: yes or no?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (lemonadeblues) I'm curious! If you're on Twitter, do you tweet a review at the author, or not?

I'd appreciate any opinions on the polite thing to do. :)

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) yep i do and i've had some bck off them like i tweeted cassandra clare with my 5 star review of city of fallen angels n she replied saying thank you glad u enjoyed it

Lura (The Life of Serendipity) (xthelifeofserendipityx) | 112 comments OCD Kay =P wrote: "yep i do and i've had some bck off them like i tweeted cassandra clare with my 5 star review of city of fallen angels n she replied saying thank you glad u enjoyed it"

Lol that's cool!

message 4: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 1841 comments Mod
I have no idea how to even do that....LMAO!!

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) you just put @____ and their username in the tweet

message 6: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments If it's a good review the author would like you to trumpet it to the skies! If bad, poss not though...
JAC

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) yea i would add them in a tweet if it was a bad review lol
i'd feel so mean

message 8: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) | 298 comments Didn't know you could do that! Good to know.

message 9: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments I think tweeting a review is aweosme and I would be thrilled if the author tweeted me back!

message 10: by Baxter (new)

Baxter Trautman Absolutely! (If it's a good review.) Tweet with the link where the review is. Feel free to review The River Within and tweet me (only if it's good, haha!)

Baxter Clare Trautman
Web site: http://baxterclare.com
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

message 11: by Lena (new)

Lena | 191 comments I've never done this, but I'm going to now!

I did a book review on here and it linked automatically to my twitter, and the 'author' reposted it. However, I'm pretty sure the author is deceased so it freaked me out a little! I guess it was his estate or something, but still....

I know I'm silly!

message 12: by Amy Eye (new)

LOL - that is great, Lena!!

message 13: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments Lena, was it a paranormal book? I hadn't heard that vampires / zombies had made it onto Twitter but you never know....!!!
heheheh

message 14: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments LOL! That would be awesome and quite the marketing campaign if someone set up a twitter account as a zombie or vamp and then tweeted about the brains and or blood they had been eating lately....LOL

message 15: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments Or black pudding. Though I'm not sure if you have black pudding in the US?

message 16: by Lena (new)

Lena | 191 comments Black pudding--gross! Isn't it called blood pudding anymore?

And no, it was my review of Sophie's Choice.

message 17: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (lemonadeblues) Thanks for the input. So...I'm think 4 or 5 star reviews would be polite to tweet, then? :)

message 18: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Uh yeah 4 and 5 star reviews are good! I would prefer a 7. *wink*

message 19: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (lemonadeblues) Cambria wrote: "Uh yeah 4 and 5 star reviews are good! I would prefer a 7. *wink*"

Heheh, guess it makes a difference if it's 4 out of 10 or 4 out of 5, doesn't it? LOL

message 20: by Lena (new)

Lena | 191 comments I've never tweeted at an author, but I have tweeted about a book and used @author's name in the tweet. Mostly I do this for indies, but I've done it twice to Sara Zarr and both times she thanked me, so I guess author's find them even if you dont tweet at them.

message 21: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (bookishevents) I've never actually tweeted a review @ anyone to be honest. I usually post my review to twitter in general but and I have seem them retweeted by others to the author but I've never done it directly. I guess I figure that my opinion is not really worth interrupting their writing for.

message 22: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments Jenn, I think you'll find that any writer will appreciate you tweeting to everyone if you liked their books! If they're not interested they simply won't look, but basically Twitter is a very powerful tool to drive sales so yes, BJ, do tweet your 4&5*s to the author as then they can simply retweet to their follower (who may well retweet again, etc). The bigger authors may not but it's in both the author's interests and yours to have as many people see the review as possible so you'll probably find a lot of them will do.
Just imho of course but I can't imagine why they wouldn't.
JAC

message 23: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Absolutely! I think any author would like to interupted in writing to hear a compliment!

message 24: by Lena (new)

Lena | 191 comments A lot of ppl don't realize that if you put @(author's name) at the beginning of your tweet, only the author and anyone who follows BOTH you AND the author will see the tweets. So if you really want to broaden your audience, put the @ later in your tweet.

Just something I've noticed a lot! :O

message 25: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments thanks for the tip!

message 26: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (lemonadeblues) Lena wrote: "A lot of ppl don't realize that if you put @(author's name) at the beginning of your tweet, only the author and anyone who follows BOTH you AND the author will see the tweets. So if you really want..."

Good to know, thanks! I never noticed that. :)

message 27: by Lena (new)

Lena | 191 comments Yes, it's one of my frustrations when ppl try to help me out and put @lenahillbrand at the beginning...only ppl already following me can see the tweet, so it doesnt help get followers!

message 28: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) | 298 comments Good to know! I usually add my @'s at the end, but I think I may have done so once or twice at the beginning...still learning the tweet ropes.

message 29: by Amy Eye (new)

Do you guys seem to find Twitter to boost up exposure at all? If so, maybe some of you Tweeting experts can teach some of us less experienced (namely - me) how to do this to help you guys out!

message 30: by Cassie (new)

Cassie McCown (cassie629) | 713 comments I don't think I've tweeted @ author?? But, my reviews and stuff automatically feed to Twitter, and I get new followers over there all the time. I barely even go there otherwise...lol...

message 31: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments Oooh that's useful to know, Lena, thanks for that!
JAC

message 32: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) | 298 comments Amy, I'm new to Twitter myself. I'm learning the ropes.

message 33: by Amy Eye (new)

At least I know I am not alone in this, Dale! :)

message 34: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (lemonadeblues) Just had to share that, after reading y'alls feedback, over the past week I have tweeted a couple of reviews and tagged the authors. The result? Well...here's how it went down a couple days ago at my house:

The Man: (sliding to a stop beside me) "What happened? I heard you scream?"
Me: "Kady Cross said thanks! Kady Cross re-tweeted my tweet! OMG! She's a real person!"
The Man: (staring blankly) "What?"
Me: (waving iphone in The Man's face) "Kady Cross!! Steel Corset! She tweets!"
The Man: (backs slowly out of the room) "Alrighty, then..."

I was a little less fangirl the next time it happened. Really. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it... ;)

Thanks again for the input, all!

message 35: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Massara (sylvia_massara) Hi all,

I'm trying to educate myself on Twitter at present. I know that @_____ is used to send a message to a specific person. What is the #_____ for? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Sylvia Massara
Novelist and host of The Lit Chick Show

message 36: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments Nice one BJ!!

Sylvia, the hashtag (#) is a term you can search by, so if we all went onto twitter and wanted to have a mass conversation about Creative Reviews we would write our comment and put #creativereviews in the comment somewhere.

Then you go to the "search" page and type in #creativereviews and it brings up all comments across Twitter that contain the hashtag #creativereviews, so as long as you put that in, we could all take part in the same conversation.

Ones like #ww and #ff are really useful because they are Twitter-wide "memes"; #ff is Follow Friday where you list people you thinnk are worth following so that anyone you follow who thinks they look interesting can go have a look. #ww is Writers Wednesday. #ss is Sample Sunday - very useful if you have a book you want to advertise as you simply post the URL with a brief description of it and #ss and everyone on Twitter who's looking for something new to read can do a search on #ss and find all the tweets containing it - and people do, as well.

There are many more, but they're just the ones I've worked out.

Also the ones that show down the righthand side of the page are the ones that are "trending" ie the top ten most common at the time, so quite useful for visibility if you ever find one you can comment on. (For some reason at least one will involve justin bieber. He may be an actor or singer but I am probably about 15 years too old to be aware of his work....)

Hmmm. Amy - is it worth starting a thread for Twitter memes maybe? There may be more that are useful that we don't know about, for reviewers and authors?

JAC

message 37: by Cassie (new)

Cassie McCown (cassie629) | 713 comments BJ wrote: "Just had to share that, after reading y'alls feedback, over the past week I have tweeted a couple of reviews and tagged the authors. The result? Well...here's how it went down a couple days ago at ..."

LOL!

message 38: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) | 298 comments BJ...that is too funny! JA...thanks for the tweet lesson! :)

message 39: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments You're welcome! Am just starting out myself but happy to share - anything I've missed, do add it!
JAC

message 40: by Amy Eye (new)

We can start a tweet folder if there are enough people wanting to know more about it, and also I have been exposed to LinkedIn recently...any one know much about it?

message 41: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments Tweet folder is a good idea. I'm on Linked in too but I keep forgetting my password!! Do come and find me there - though it may take me a while to get in there and answer!!.
JAC

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 501 comments BJ wrote: "I'm curious! If you're on Twitter, do you tweet a review at the author, or not?

I'd appreciate any opinions on the polite thing to do. :)"

Hi BJ, I'm new to this group though not at all new to online etiquette--or netiquette as we used to call it back in the early 90s when all the newbies were getting online and being completely rude without even knowing it! The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?

I've found that every new form of new media has its own little subset of netiquette. On Twitter, in particular, retweeting (RT) and @mentions are considered not only polite, but supportive and in reality, are MUCH sought after! Esp. by authors.

I'm saying this as an author, by the way.

Oh and I would LOVE to get new followers! Unless you're tweeting a gazillion times a day, I'll follow back. I'm @webbiegrrl ^_^

I just joined this group, have only been on Goodreads a few months and haven't submitted my sole Goodreads title for review by anyone here yet. Then again, one of your members (Tracy or "TC" from Bookedup) already read and reviewed my one and only Goodreads title so technically, someone in this group already reviewed my book *oops*

I have about 20 books written in various stages of "ready for prime time" all the way down to "outline's barely sketched but I have it all figured out in my Mind's Eye" but I only have one here on Goodreads.

I've been spending inordinate amounts of time blogging (instead of writing books!) but have dedicated my Saturday blog posts to a "Surprise" which seems to be for snippets and unreleased Deleted Scenes I particularly enjoy and can't bring myself to actually DELETE from my hard disk. Free reads. Oh and of course, there's Freebie Friday (which I recently asked Tracy to try to cross-post with me) I've been featuring free reads from the Smashwords site-wide promo.

After this past week's .... mistake in the Freebie Friday posting, I guess I'll have to start double-checking that authors aren't slipping not-for-free books in under the wire, bait and switch style. I think that's what happened this past week. It's really unfortunate. The point of my Freebie Friday post is to get authors new readers--not money, just readers. In the long term view of things, readers eventually become paying customers if your product speaks for itself, but some authors just don't get that. *LeSigh*

I recently did a blog post on Twitter Basics which you might find helpful. Today--being Tuesday--I'll be doing another one on Twitter related tips, so you might want to subscribe to my blog. Yes, I want subscribers but seriosuly, you might want to just subscribe by clicking one of the buttons or filling in your email (my favorite). Then you'll be notified when new posts are up. I have a schedule but it still seems to be erratic to some people (so I hear from them in real life)

Glad I found this group!

message 43: by Sarah (last edited Jul 19, 2011 02:51AM) (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 501 comments Amy wrote: "We can start a tweet folder if there are enough people wanting to know more about it, and also I have been exposed to LinkedIn recently...any one know much about it?"

Amy, I've been on LinkedIn since it started, years ago. Until it went public (as a stock offering), it wasn't being used as a social networking tool, but rather, as a business networking site. To be honest, I think that was actually LinkedIn's strength and they've diluted it by trying to become all things to all people but what do I know? I only ran my own web development company for 5 years and then I went bankrupt. Obviously, I am clueless. (kidding and I don't dislike LinkedIn but it has its specific uses).

I'm on LinkedIn. I use my real name there and have set up my profile to solicit my skills as a Technical Writer and/or Editor. I haven't actually done that work, having spent most of my working life in IT management but that's what my LinkedIn profile focuses on. I have a lot of techie type connections there (not nearly as many as most people I know!)

I remain on LinkedIn almost as an obligation. I feed information out but not in. That is, I manually (not automatically, on purpose) feed all of my "udpates" from my LinkedIn profile through to my twitterstream. Nothing gets fed into my LinkedIn profile.

I nearly never use LinkedIn -- still. The best thing I've found on LinkedIn is the occasional group or discussion in the forums on marketing. Even then, I don't find the people who are active there to be of use to me. If I were in business, running a company or looking to do consulting, I'd love LinkedIn. It's all about schmoozing B2B.

Right after the IPO, I got huge numbers of requests to connect (mostly from men...my legs do attract male attention and while that's demeaning, I tolerate it because I haven't changed my avatar--I staunchly believe "she's asking for it" is NOT an appropriate explanation for why men behave like pigs. NOT all men do. If some can behave respectfully, why not all? And I like my legs, take pride in them even...I should be allowed to feel good about myself without being treated like an object, no?)

I object to all this wanting to connect with my legs on LinkedIn because--aside from the obvious objectification of women being insulting to me, as a woman--my legs have NOTHING to do with my writing and I don't see any purpose for any of these guys wanting to connect with me other than my legs. That is, not one of them has anything to do with the writing or publishing industry, nor with any related media (like blogs).

So that's my experience on LinkedIn. It's like a white collar MySpace. I don't like it but I use it. I'm also on MySpace as "webbiegrrl" and never use that. I don't get hit on as often on MySpace as often as I do on LinkedIn. Ironic, no? I think it's outrageous. I'm on LiveJournal (also webbiegrrl) and never use that but I do have my twitterstream auto-fed into my LJ and that keeps it active. I keep my personal profile on Facebook "privatized" but still get men (not women, not even gay women! *smirk*) hitting on me due to my legs despite zero info available on my personal profile to non-friends. I keep my Facebook Webbiegrrl page public. Amazingly I do not get any hits there. They must not want to be lewd in public.

All of my avatars everywhere are the same--my Webbiegrrl Legs, walkin' the web the Webbiegrrl way :) It's my brand.

If you want to do business or start a home-based business, LinkedIn is a good place to connect with people who can help, having been there, done that. There are groups where you can ask questions and get answers. You can do that in the forums too, and get lots more answers, some might even be to your question *LOL*

If you're not looking to schmooze with business people who want to sell you as much as you want to sell them something, don't join LinkedIn. That simple.

message 44: by Amy Eye (new)

Thanks for the information, Sarah! It's always good to have plenty of insight when it comes to all of the social media sites!

@JA - if I can figure out how to find you on there, I will...but how about you look or me too!! Maybe we can find each other. It should be under my business name The Eyes for Editing....(keeping fingers crossed we shall connect!! LOL)

message 45: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments Eye-eye sir!
hohoho

message 46: by Sarah (last edited Jul 23, 2011 06:18AM) (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 501 comments Amy wrote: "Thanks for the information, Sarah! It's always good to have plenty of insight when it comes to all of the social media sites!

You're welcome, Amy. I kind of went overboard I think....looking at it now, days later *blush*

I am an exuberant gal, what can I say?

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) i tweeted my 5 star review of Rachel Vincents ARC of blood bound and she re-tweeted it i was so excited lol

message 48: by Amy Eye (new)

Sarah R. Yoffa wrote: "Amy wrote: "Thanks for the information, Sarah! It's always good to have plenty of insight when it comes to all of the social media sites!

You're welcome, Amy. I kind of went overboard I think....."

LOL!! nothing to be ashamed of, being excited about something is always good times!!

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 501 comments OCD Kay =P wrote: "i tweeted my 5 star review of Rachel Vincents ARC of blood bound and she re-tweeted it i was so excited lol"

Proof that we authors just squeeeee everytime a reader says something nice about our children :-)

We're really just a bunch of vulnerable little girls, you know? Even the male versions....erm, more so the male versions given as they are unaccustomed to taking emotional risks in public?

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) hahaha
i just got slightly over-excited it was the first time an author re-tweeted one of my tweets lol

« previous 1