Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

book recommendations?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (sanscosm) | 22 comments i'm having trouble in my quest to find books to fill the sookie void. any suggestions?

i've started reading the mercy thompson series by patricia briggs, and it's decent.

just read peeps and...eh.

looking for something with similar tone and humor i guess.

message 2: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Try the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost. It's about a half vampire/half human woman that slays vamps. Very good series.

I've also read the Blood Ties series by Jennifer Armintrout.

Some people will probably suggest Mary Janice Davidson but I've never read anything she's done yet. There's the Weather Warden series by Rachel Caine if you want to do something outside the vamp terrority. I have those on my TBR list as well.

You might like the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton. There are lots of those. And how about Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series, the Dresden Files? I have lots of books on my TBR list. I usually browse groups and what not for books that sound interesting and add them to my TBR pile. Although you might not find a series quite like Sookie, there are definitely so good ones out there. I haven't even begun to read them all!

message 3: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (aixoise) | 3 comments I love to dish about the vamp books I've read. I'm currently reading the Anita Blake series (took me until book 3 to actually be able to say that I liked them) but they haven't hooked me like some other series. Jean-Claude is in my top hot vamps list.

The Queen Betsy series by MJ Davidson is "okay". She lost me at the last two of her books (but I still keep reading...I can't give up a series once I've started it unless it's REALLY bad). This is one of the few vampire series that had me laughing out loud in some parts. Eric Sinclair makes it into my hot vamps list too.

My hands down favorite series is the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon but if you're looking for traditional vamp action, this isn't it. But it is Paranormal romance and intrigue (with a tie-in of mythology) at its best, IMO. It's quite steamy at times, though, be forewarned. If you're looking for a series to go on a reading rampage, this is it. There are lots and unlike some other series it doesn't go stale after 8 or 10. Too many to name from this series that make it into my hot vamp/ hot paranormie list :)

Another series- but very steamy- is the Black Dagger Brotherhood. Not for the faint of heart or those who blush easily. I love those Brothers! I'd be hard-pressed to pick my favorite Brother but- perhaps it's a first read thing- I love Wrath.

I'd be glad to share more if you'd like but I think that my short answer is probably more than you were bargaining for!

message 4: by Angie (last edited Sep 22, 2008 02:42PM) (new)

Angie There are some recommendations in this thread also where we talked about this before, check it out:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) My favorite series is the Immortals After Dark series by Kressley Cole. She writes about vamps, wares, demons, etc... You'll want to be sure to read them in order. I started a group, Immortals After Dark, to discuss the book if you're interested.

I can second the Blood Ties series and although I've only read the first books in the Anita Blake (Laurel K. Hamilton)and the Rachel Morgan(Kim Harrison)series, they were good as well.

Happy Reading!

message 6: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 142 comments ALl of these are great suggestions and I have read most of them. I would also suggest Kim Harrison, the first book there is Dead Witch Walking :)

message 7: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (sanscosm) | 22 comments thank you so much everyone!! I'm going to start adding all of these to my "to read" shelf!

message 8: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) Try the Morganville Vampire eries by Rachel Caine.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 24 comments Don't forget the Cassie Palmer series by Karen Chance. Detailed plots!

message 10: by ☆drea☆ wears the cheese (last edited Jun 20, 2009 01:35PM) (new)

☆drea☆ wears the cheese (dreawearsthecheese) | 2 comments Richelle Mead
richelle mead has some good stuff. i usually stick with an author after I find a book they write I am truly enthusiastic for, as I tend towards a favorable style of writing (I wasn't able to do this with harris :( , though I do loves me some sookie. mead's Vampire Academy series is proving to only get better each book. I also read her succubus line (starting with the first of the series (Succubus Blues, Georgina Kincaid, Book 1) and then I followed that up with
a little dark swan action (Storm Born, Dark Swan, Book 1). all and all, a gem i've found in my little fire ball mead and i felt i should pass her on :)-

message 11: by Cary (new)

Cary (vortigern) Carmilla as a single long short story or as the last of Doctor Hesselius( occult metaphysicl physician)case files in the book, In a Glass Darkly. Written in Dublin and published in London 1875. To my mind the best vampire story ever written. Actually a toss up between it and Dracula also written in Dublin and published in London 1997.

message 12: by Harley (new)

Harley  (harleybrewpup) Halfway to the Grave The Night Huntress series has definitely been the only series that I have liked as near as much as I do the Sookie Stackhouse series.
Night Huntress, like Sookie, I just read too dang fast because I can't put it down and I am so upset when it's over! Luckily, there is a new Night Huntress coming out in a few weeks.

message 13: by Katy-Del (new)

Katy-Del MaryJanice Davidson has several series and they are usually fluffy and full of humor. The Betsy series is like the Shopohalic meets the undead. Betsy occasionally makes me want to shake her.

Katie MacAlister has the Dark Ones Series and the Dragon series. Almost all of the Dark Ones are stand alones (with the exception of the 2 most recently published) and the Dragon books have been set up as 2 trilogies, so far. They are funny and adventurous. The heroines tend to have Lucy moments.

Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series is one of my favorites.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Halfway to the Grave (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Richelle Mead (other topics)