Book Haven discussion

General > What book changed your life and why?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders | 24 comments I just put this question up on my facebook page for writers and got some awesome responses.It was so great hearing from author authors and a lot of new books I never new I needed to read.
Now Ia m wondering what readers have to say, What book changed your life and why?
Elle

p.s if your interested in my facebook page for writers, here is the link:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elle-La...

message 2: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) The Mortal Instruments series affected me like no other book I've ever read. I don't know why; it was just addicting and heartbreaking and tragic and funny. My stomach was in knots every time I read it, and there aren't quite words for what it really did to me. I just knew I wasn't the same after reading it, and no other book seemed to measure up afterwards.

message 3: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values Taught me about perception, reality, and being caught in your own delusions.

The Mists of Avalon made me think differently about magick, and the power of women.

Atlas Shrugged angered me more than any book I've ever read, but I loved it at the same time.

message 4: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) I felt the same way about Atlas Shrugged.

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 47 comments Blackbird by Jennifer Lauck showed me that memoirs don't have to be in past tense. There doesn't have to be an adult narrator in between the reader and the child in the book. So now that's how I'm writing my book. It changed my life.

message 6: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla VdL (dunnopris) is it cliche if i say Harry POtter, it started my love for reading, so it's special for moi..

message 7: by Nada (new)

Nada Al-Karmi (nadooush) No because it's the same with me & many others.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol (paperfairy21) Narcissus in Chains by Laurel K hamilton

message 9: by Aela (new)

Aela The Ordinary Princess by M.M. Kaye

First fantasy/fairy tale book I ever read.Started my life long obsession *cough* with fantasy books.

message 10: by Janet (last edited Jul 22, 2011 10:10PM) (new)

Janet | 45 comments Reading Belovedby Toni Morrison is when I first really got into layers of meaning from intentional choices that authors make, and when I began to realize how much more a novel can hold than just the narrative.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera introduced me to the concept that the same word can have different personal meanings to different people. This was huge in developing my ability to understand how to communicate across the differences between what is meant and what is understood.

The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert by John Gottman continues to be extremely important in my marriage. Personally I think everyone should read it well before getting married!

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (emily_meek) The Giver

This was the first 'adult' book I ever read. When I was bored with all my picture books, I went into my sisters room and stole this and read it in secret. (I envisioned that it was a bad thing I was doing at the time) and I was amazed. It remains to this day my favorite book.