Victorians! discussion

Buddy Reads > The Odd Women general discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 495 comments Isn't it a bit close? Maybe next week it would be better, but if we decide for this friday I'll stick to it!!!

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 66 comments works for me. it's on project gutenberg, so i don't have to worry about scrambling to find a copy.

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 85 comments It's also free on Kindle

Elizabeth (Alaska) If your schedule isn't too speedy, I'd like very much to squeeze this in. I have plenty of time, but am already reading two others. (will keep fingers crossed)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Anna, that sounds perfect, thank you!

message 6: by Judy (new)

Judy Olson | 23 comments If its free on Kindle, count me in.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Judy wrote: "If its free on Kindle, count me in."

It is! That's how I got mine!

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Johnson (jrjohnson1408) I think I'll be able to join in if the start date is the 15th: I'm reading a couple other things but I should be clear by then.

(I got mine free on Kindle, too).

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 66 comments the 15th sounds good actually. i just realized i have a few books to finish up right now, before i'm starting The Republic by Plato in another group in a couple weeks. never read it, and i like to give philosophy lots of space. :P

message 10: by Judy (new)

Judy Olson | 23 comments Got it on Kindle and looking forward to reading it.

message 11: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 495 comments The 15th is perfetct!!!
I'll be on holidays, but I'm bringing my pc along and I hope to have at least half an hour a day to come to goodreads! And I've already downloaded the epub file for my sony reader amd the mp3 files ...
I'm ready to start!!!

message 12: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (karenvirginiaflaxman) | 139 comments I'm grateful to hear that we're waiting until the 15th to start "The Odd Women", everyone. I don't have a Kindle, and I also don't like to read books online (call me old-fashioned and a Luddite, but I love to read paper books - love the smell of them, the texture of the paper, and so on), and the copy I requested at the local library hasn't yet come in. I'm sure, though, that I'll pick it up before the 15th and will be able to start reading it immediately after. It's not long a book either, which is great as I've signed up for wayyyyyyy too many group reads this month! LOL! Thanks, all!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm new to Good Reads. I'd like to join you in the Buddy Read for The Odd Women. I have it and will start tomorrow. Thanks.

message 14: by Christyb (new)

Christyb | 44 comments I downloaded The Odd Women on my kindle tonight, and will be ready tob start on the 15 th!

message 15: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 66 comments Ellen wrote: "I'm grateful to hear that we're waiting until the 15th to start "The Odd Women", everyone. I don't have a Kindle, and I also don't like to read books online (call me old-fashioned and a Luddite, bu..."

i prefer real books too, ellen. especially old books. at this point though my book addiction needs to reigned in a bit. i've got about 60 or so books that i bought at used bookstores, thrift stores, etc. that i need to read.! so i'm trying not to buy anymore, until i finish the ones i purchased. :P
plus i can read the online versions while i have nothing to do at work, without clients noticing. hehe.

message 16: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 66 comments i'm five chapters in and so far i'm liking it.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I plan to start reading on the 15th. We don't have an extensive library collection here, so am very grateful for the advent of electronic books. I still have paperbacks, prefer them to heavier hardbacks, and will gladly continue to read them as well. Mostly, I'm glad for the content, so either physical or digital works for me.

message 18: by Judy (new)

Judy Olson | 23 comments I agree Elizabeth. I love "real" books, I have a great library of many, many favorites. I also have a Kindle, with a different group of books....and I love both. As you stated, the content is the important part, whether paper or digital.

message 19: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I thought the type of book might bother me, but I've found that once I'm into the story it doesn't really matter. I do prefer reading to listening though. I only listen while driving, walking or some housework.

message 20: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 85 comments I feel the same way as Martha though I have recently become addicted to listening while driving-now if I don't have a book on, I feel like I'm wasting time!

message 21: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I know what you mean, Ellie. I used to just listen during my commute for work. Now I put the book on when I'm driving to the grocery store! Admittedly, it's a 15 min. one way drive since I live in a very small town. If Jason's with me, we have to have music on though! :-)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Martha wrote: "I know what you mean, Ellie. I used to just listen during my commute for work. Now I put the book on when I'm driving to the grocery store! Admittedly, it's a 15 min. one way drive since I live in ..."

15 minutes to the grocery here would mean you live out of town!

message 23: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I have to go to a different town for groceries ... except for the occasional gallon of milk from the gas station/convenience store. I seldom buy anything else there. Oddly though, the milk is reasonably priced, but everything else is very expensive. I learned long ago to never run out of anything.

message 24: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (karenvirginiaflaxman) | 139 comments Kristen wrote: "Ellen wrote: "I'm grateful to hear that we're waiting until the 15th to start "The Odd Women", everyone. I don't have a Kindle, and I also don't like to read books online (call me old-fashioned and..."

Yes, Kristen, you can find some great books at the thrift stores and Goodwill and so on, can't you? I have a little used book store up the road a bit from where I live and have purchased some lovely books there, too. I'm on a budget now so am not buying any new books; nor can I buy a Kindle or iPad or whatever either. But as I said, I really prefer reading "real" books rather than reading them on a machine. LOL!! Thanks!

message 25: by Mrsgaskell (new)

Mrsgaskell | 17 comments I'd like to join this buddy read of The Odd Women, too. This will be the first discussion group I take part in since joining the Victorians group. I'm really looking forward to it and will start reading today. The book has been on my TBR shelf for a long time! I've previously read and enjoyed Gissing's New Grub Street.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

#28 Like you this is my first discussion since joining the Victorians and also looking forward to a good discussion. Also I've had the book on my TBR shelf and also, I've read New Grub Street. We're on the same "wave length".

message 27: by Anna (new)

Anna | 30 comments I've got a copy of this on my shelf so would love to join in the discussion. I really need to finish Madame Bovary first though so hopefully, I'll be ready to start reading by the 15th.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

#30 Anna,
I'm new to Buddy Read as well as GoodRead. The start date to read The Odd Women is July 15th. When should the first post be written? There is always the danger of posting too quickly and (view spoiler). (That was a practice for later--since I am so new, I need the practice).

Elizabeth (Alaska) This is great, Anna. Did you want us to just read at our own page and then post/discuss in the appropriate folders?

Elizabeth (Alaska) Thanks, Anna. So looking forward to this. I'm getting my reading done for other group reads in anticipation of it.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, thanks, Anna. I'm looking forward to discussing The Odd Women. I've read about 1/3 of the novel. Wow! Great story with many, many discussion points.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Anna, Just looked at your post set-up for The Odd Women. Looks great! Thank you for setting them up. Looking forward to an interesting discussion.

message 33: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 495 comments I'll start in a couple of days! I'm on The Tenant of Wildfell Hall at the moment ...
looking forward to peep into it though!

message 34: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (karenvirginiaflaxman) | 139 comments I am so frustrated! Apparently this book did arrive at the library and I wasn't notified that it was in so they sent it back. And get this! Now it's not in the library system's catalog any more. Apparently they've either lost the book or haven't yet checked it back in or something. I really wish I'd received a notification and might have picked it up last week. Darnitall! Now I suppose I'll have to read it online, which I really don't enjoy at all. Unless I can find another copy at Amazon or someplace that can get here quickly... how long are we going to take to do this read? Thanks so much for letting me vent.

message 35: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (karenvirginiaflaxman) | 139 comments Jackie Renee wrote: "Ellen wrote: "I am so frustrated! Apparently this book did arrive at the library and I wasn't notified that it was in so they sent it back. And get this! Now it's not in the library system's catal..."

Oh, dear. I'm sorry to hear that Jackie! So I found an ebook version on Google Books and am going to have it read it there. I hate reading on the computer because the glare really gets to my eyes, and it's difficult to page back and re-read something I may have missed the first time around. Oh, well. Such is modern life, right? I guess I'm a throwback to the 1950s, right? LOL!!

Elizabeth (Alaska) Have any of you read the short biography of Gissing that is on Wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_G...

I'm finding it excellent understanding for this novel, having never read any other by this author.

message 37: by Nina (new)

Nina (ninarg) | 106 comments I wish I could participate in this read because it looks like an excellent book, but between writing my MA thesis and reading Anna Karenina (I have to read the entire book in three weeks) I find I don't have much time for anything else. Also, my library doesn't have the book:( I have added it to my to-read list though, and I will keep searching for it until I find it:)

Happy reading!

message 38: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 66 comments Nina wrote: "I wish I could participate in this read because it looks like an excellent book, but between writing my MA thesis and reading Anna Karenina (I have to read the entire book in three weeks) I find I ..."

good luck on your thesis!

message 39: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 66 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Have any of you read the short biography of Gissing that is on Wikipedia?

I'm finding it excellent understanding for this novel, having never read any ..."

wow, he was handsome! haha

message 40: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 66 comments and quite the character, it seems. with not so great taste in women.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Yes, to both, Kristen, but his taste in women gives us such a good understanding of this in particular, and makes me even more interested in his 1001 book, New Grub Street. He died so young.

message 42: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 66 comments yes, he managed to publish quite a bit of work, considering he died at 46.

message 43: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (karenvirginiaflaxman) | 139 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Have any of you read the short biography of Gissing that is on Wikipedia?

I'm finding it excellent understanding for this novel, having never read any ..."

Great link, Elizabeth! Thanks so much. Gissing sure did write quite a number of books; I wonder if I'll even have the chance to read 1/3 of them. Enjoy!

message 44: by Nina (new)

Nina (ninarg) | 106 comments Congratulations on your thesis, Anna!

I write with a friend. We look at the negative consequences of having a CSR (corporate social responsibility) plan with focus on human rights. i.e. how a CSR policy can backfire if the consumers think/know that you are using child labour, sweat shops, polluting the environment etc. Two months to go, and then I can join GR-discussions again:)

message 45: by Nina (new)

Nina (ninarg) | 106 comments Kristen wrote: "good luck on your thesis!"

Thanks, Kristen!

message 46: by Kristen (last edited Jul 18, 2011 10:25AM) (new)

Kristen | 66 comments Anna wrote: "Hello all. I'm excited there are so many people interested in a buddy read of The Odd Women. I'm starting this thread for general discussion and so we can work out a reading schedule...."

Anna, are there dates to correspond with the chapters? When do we move on to the next section? Maybe you've posted dates and I just don't see it. :P

Elizabeth (Alaska) Anna, it's fine without dates. I'm reading straight through, but stopping at each separation in the discussion, so that I have a better thought process to contribute. I have several places underlined for the XI-XVI section and will post later.

message 48: by Nina (new)

Nina (ninarg) | 106 comments Anna wrote: "Nina wrote: "Congratulations on your thesis, Anna!

I write with a friend. We look at the negative consequences of having a CSR (corporate social responsibility) plan with focus on human rights. i..."

Thanks, Anna, and yes, delving into these issues really makes you think!

I just found the Odd Women at a far away library which I didn't think possible:) I still don't think I'll be able to participate in the discussion, but at least I have found the book now.

message 49: by Alicatte (new)

Alicatte | 17 comments Thank you, Victorians!, for spotlighting this book. I would never have picked up this novel if it weren't for Good Reads. I'm loving every page, every turn of the story. I'm fascinated with all the characters, and I have yet to see Gissing stumble at all in his storytelling. Although I don't comment a lot, I read all the discussions and take away many new insights. Thanks!

message 50: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Johnson (jrjohnson1408) Alicatte wrote: "Thank you, Victorians!, for spotlighting this book. I would never have picked up this novel if it weren't for Good Reads. I'm loving every page, every turn of the story. I'm fascinated with all the..."

My thoughts exactly!

« previous 1