Christian Goodreaders discussion

Goodreads Authors in Our Group > Does anyone homeschool?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Isenhoff (michelleisenhoff) Strange topic to post under authors? Maybe not. I'm a teacher and a homeschooler, and I love meeting other homeschoolers. I'm also a Christian author of mainstream children's books, and I review all sorts of children's lit on my blog from a Christian perspective. My books and blog are gaining some popularity with homeschoolers concerned about what their kids are reading.

So, all you homeschoolers out there, stop here and say hello!

Michelle Isenhoff
http://www.michelleisenhoff.com
http://www.michelleisenhoff.wordpress...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I used to homeschool years ago. ( My daughter is out of college.) I now attend homeschool conventions as an author of YA Christian fantasy and visit local homeschool groups.

http://www.allonbooks.com

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Isenhoff (michelleisenhoff) Very cool!

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Blake | 21 comments My 3 grandchildren are homeschooled by my daughter. I help out. They're 13, 11, and 9 years old. They've been homeschooled all their lives. An interesting process.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Isenhoff (michelleisenhoff) Hi Elizabeth. It's a lot of work! But worth it. My mom swings by on occasion to read with my kids or listen to them read. And sometimes to take them out for lunch. It's such a nice break. :)

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Stephan (amandastephan) Hi Michelle ~ it's nice to meet you :)
I've homeschooled our children from the very beginning, and Lord willing, will continue to do so until they graduate. I was worried about what my children were reading as well, which is one of the many reasons I write Christian romance novels. I'll have to visit your blogs!
If you're so inclined, you can check mine out here:
The Price of Trust
Books By Amanda
and The Eclectic Blogger

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Isenhoff (michelleisenhoff) Hi Amanda. Nice to meet you as well. Right now I'm at my parents' cottage checking my emails out on the dock in the sun on a pirated connection. (Can't get a signal in the house.) Promise when I get home and can see the screen better I'll check out your blogs! :)

message 8: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1857 comments My wife and I homeschooled our three girls for years, starting the mid 1990s. They're all grown and out of the nest now!

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia I have homeschooled my 5 since my oldest was 4. My 2 oldest have now graduated. I have a daughter starting high school at a local magnet school, but will still be homeschooling my 2 youngest boys(one in 11th grade & the other in 6th). They all love to read, so will be checking out your blogs.

message 10: by Nike (new)

Nike Chillemi | 101 comments I used to homeschool My 14 year old wants to go to public school this year. She's having a ball there. I'm hearing a few things I don't like, but she's going to have to live in the world sooner or later.

message 11: by Shawna (new)

Shawna Williams (shawnakwilliams) | 3 comments I homeschool my three teens. My oldest will graduate soon. My middle child (15 yrs) will probably attend public school this next semester and we'll see how it goes. My youngest is still happy to be homeschooled. She's 13 and in eighth grade.

message 12: by Nike (new)

Nike Chillemi | 101 comments Shawna wrote: "I homeschool my three teens. My oldest will graduate soon. My middle child (15 yrs) will probably attend public school this next semester and we'll see how it goes. My youngest is still happy to be..."

I'm going to phone the asst principle who he kids call Dr. Evil as he looks like that character in the Austin Powers movies. He knows it and does an imitation of the character in assembly. I want to ask him how she's doing from the teachers' pov.

message 13: by Shawna (new)

Shawna Williams (shawnakwilliams) | 3 comments I think my middle child will do well. She a sophmore, and two of her best friends are seniors. She wants to attend school with them for the last half of their senior year. If she wants to keep going next year I'll probably let her. She's always been very self driven, so she's ahead in her school work. My oldest is the one I feel like I have to push. He's smart, just doesn't like to put forth effort in things that don't interest him. I sometimes wonder if we should have put him in public school for the last two years, but he'll be taking a couple of college classes during the last half of his senior studies so I think that may help with the transition into college when he goes fulltime.

message 14: by MarieAnge (new)

MarieAnge (marieangebouchard) I was homeschooled all the way from 3rd grade to graduation :)

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hackeburg | 4 comments Hi! This post is sooooooo old, lol, but I am a homeschooler of 3 boys! It's quite a challenging endeavor, but we felt called to do it. I've also just written my first fiction book because I felt lead to write something for teenagers and young adults that would cause them truly evaluate their relationship with the Lord. Had some great reviews of it so far. It tackles many of the issues our children are, unfortunately, facing today. It's called When They All Disappeared and you can find it on Amazon or contact me directly.

Anyone on here still homeschool?

message 16: by Betty (new)

Betty Pfeiffer | 29 comments Rachael, I am also a writer--nonfiction--and would like to talk to you about some aspects of homeschooling. You can reach me using Comments through my website bettyjpfeiffer.com. I'll give you my regular email address when I hear from you. Thanks.

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary Miller | 4 comments I have written a book which is bi lingual, Spanish English, for the purpose of language and story telling. You may find this ideal for home schooling. peace

THE RANCHO

Twelve short stories unfold as Mary Jane discovers love in the desert for the first time. The Ranch by Mary Jane Miller describes Mexico in the early 70's, a time forgotten with behaviors and lifestyles left for the history books. She offers a glimpse through humorous events and activities you might find have found on any ranch around the country. There is no doubt that our human capacity for love of beauty, awe, and surprise is never out of date and always worth remembering.

Young readers will find this bi-cultural adventure packed with anthropological moments that come to life. “ I was introduced to a lifestyle and one particular family when I spoke no Spanish and they spoke no English ”. Whether getting water or getting married humans have changed little from one generation to the next.

The stories are written and formatted side by side for easy translation from Spanish to English. The translations reveal the subtle difference between cultures, and sometimes Miller's comical determination to be understood. Mary Jane has told these crazy stories at parties and to strangers for forty years. The stories cross cultures and educate anyone learning to bridge two worlds. The subject matter stimulates great conversation regardless of learning the language, in Spanish or English.

The Ranch El rancho: A Story of the Predictable but Completely Unexpectedhttps://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ranch-...