Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Mystery and Suspense > Am I reading this right?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) http://criterioncast.com/2011/06/11/w...

"An interesting pick up by Criterion is the Bulldog Drummond series, which 10 films are now on the Hulu page, six of which were added this past week."

Okay, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but am I seeing a Bulldog Drummond box set from Criterion on the horizon? Because that would be, you know, cheesily awesome. Easily their most puzzling acquisition since Armageddon...

message 2: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments Interesting. Criterion's been really pumping 'em out in the last couple years.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5358 comments It is probably more about Janus films owning the rights to the Bulldog Drummond series and making them available for online viewing under the Criterion banner. I doubt they'll do a fullout disc release.

One never knows, though, Criterion also released BROADCAST NEWS, so...

message 4: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments And SOMETHING WILD. Which is an OK movie, but...

message 5: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10614 comments they released something wild?

sometimes i think they release stuff that captured a certain something about an era. you could say that about something wild, but i think there are better representative films ... i would choose after hours before something wild, for example.

message 7: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10614 comments yeah, i saw that ... i sort of remember seeing the film back in the day, and wasn't that thrilled with it.

message 8: by Phillip (last edited Jul 06, 2011 12:49PM) (new)

Phillip | 10614 comments here is their "coming soon" page - which includes films like NAKED, that they have released, but are now releasing them on blu-ray.

http://www.criterion.com/library/expa...

kind of excited about CUL-DE-SAC ... i think we were discussing that elsewhere, if i'm not mistaken. also excited about satyajit ray's THE MUSIC ROOM.

message 9: by Tom (last edited Jul 06, 2011 12:59PM) (new)

Tom | 5358 comments Psyched about the Vigo set and the HIGH AND LOW Bluray, otherwise not so much.

message 10: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10614 comments cindy might get excited about the phantom carriage - it's about time they released some sjostrom.

message 11: by George (new)

George | 951 comments Here's a headline for you from Salon.com.

Spike Lee to direct "Oldboy" remake?
Rumors of adapting the cult manga/revenge film for American audiences still include Will Smith.

message 12: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10614 comments cut it out.

message 13: by George (new)

George | 951 comments Well, originally Speilberg apparently had first dips. the author of the article thought Lee was a better possible choice for Old Boy than Speilberg.

message 14: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) George wrote: "Rumors of adapting the cult manga/revenge film for American audiences still include Will Smith."

But he was so GOOD in I Am Legend!

[eyeroll]

message 15: by Joanna (new)

Joanna White (vivian_girl) | 74 comments George wrote: "Here's a headline for you from Salon.com.

Spike Lee to direct "Oldboy" remake?
Rumors of adapting the cult manga/revenge film for American audiences still include Will Smith."

If they do that I might have to retaliate and then you all can have "sympathy for lady vengeance". ;) Okay, that was a bad joke but I couldn't help myself.

message 16: by Joanna (new)

Joanna White (vivian_girl) | 74 comments Tom wrote: "Psyched about the Vigo set and the HIGH AND LOW Bluray, otherwise not so much."

Yay! I love the thought of "High and Low" on Bluray & a Vigo set! It's about time!

message 17: by George (new)

George | 951 comments just don't kill the messenger.

message 18: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments Phillip wrote: "cindy might get excited about the phantom carriage - it's about time they released some sjostrom."

Heheheh --- you're right!

What is the deal with Criterion? I always counted on them when I wanted something classic done well on DVD. They seem to have really lowered their standards lately.

message 19: by Phillip (last edited Jul 08, 2011 02:15AM) (new)

Phillip | 10614 comments i don't know - a while ago i read that they were having money problems and had to move their operations into a cheaper space situation, but that doesn't seem consistent with releasing more titles that seem kind of random. i wonder how much they depend on dvd and blu-ray sales - has to be quite a lot at this point, given the amount of their stuff that you can find on netflix instant.