Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Pearson Australia buys Redgroup online

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments Read this abit earlier at Goodreading magazine online.

Pearson Australia is taking over the online business of collapsed Australian bookseller REDgroup, which includes the Borders and Angus & Robertson sites.

The publisher said it wanted to maintain "continuity for the business, its staff and customers" and the sites will be run as standalone businesses. Pearson has signed a deal with Kobo to provide e-books for the site.

Pearson Australia Group c.e.o. Dionne Higgins said: "REDgroup online has always enjoyed a strong market share, and an incredibly loyal customer base and we see this acquisition as an opportunity to further build this business. The team are committed to providing customers with a great online shopping experience."

REDgroup went into administration in February and has embarked on a series of store closures since then.

Good to see that at least parts of Redgroup will survive for the forseeable future. Pity about Border's going to wall and A&r being on it's hands and knees. =/

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68791 comments Mod
Thanks for that Michael! :)

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) I might need to start getting the good reading mag

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I just spotted this letter to the customers on the Borders online site:

Dear valued customer,

I’d like to take this opportunity to share with you some very exciting news about the Borders Australia website.

On the 27th July 2011, Pearson Australia Group has become the proud new owner of the Borders Australia online business. Pearson Australia Group is part of the international media organisation, Pearson plc, with interests in education, publishing and distribution, and a strong commitment to learning and sustainable, community focused practices.

The same Australian based team will operate the Borders Australia online business and we eagerly look forward to expanding and enhancing our offering and services to you. In particular, our site will be more Australian focused with an emphasis on Australian authors and fast delivery of Australian sourced product.

The Borders Australia site will also continue to offer the best range of books, eBooks, and other entertainment and education products with the fantastic online experience and service that you’ve come to expect. We will also continue to offer the best range of eBooks in Australia through our agreement with Kobo eBooks.

We look forward to being of service to you in the future and trust you will continue to support Borders Australia Online.

Kind regards,
Dionne Higgins

*thanks Michael*

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments No probs Brenda. :D

message 6: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Michael wrote: "No probs Brenda. :D"

I did look first, cos I thought I could remember something ^_^