The Liberal Politics & Current Events Book Club discussion

North America / Caribbean > Washington Gives Green Light for Attack on Unarmed Flotilla, Including Ship with 50 Americans on Board

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

The Obama admin appears to have given a green light to an Israeli attack on an unarmed flotilla carrying peace and human rights activists.

More here: http://www.alternet.org/story/151475/...

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 4 comments I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you on this one, Donegal. No matter how well intentioned the American human rights activists aboard are, they're merely being used as propaganda fodder for the Palestinians. If the Palestinians truly wanted peace, all they'd have to do is discard their officially declared position of killing all the Jews. The Palestinians have shown absolutely no interest in human rights, except as it allows them to shed crocodile tears.

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia (bilingworm) | 34 comments Stephen wrote: "If the Palestinians truly wanted peace, "

The problem as I see it, Stephen, is that there is no one unified group called "the Palestinians". It's like saying "if Americans were truly against torture, they would close Guantanamo" or something. Many many Americans are against torture and many Palestinians truly want peace - as for what their leaders and governments do is another story. One could also say that if Israelis would stop violating agreements by continuing settlements, if they would give Palestinians their own land and some basic freedoms and dignities, perhaps they would stop threatening to kill Israelis. The sword cuts both ways and I don't buy the position that Israel is the helpless victim, though I am Jewish. It makes me sick to see "my people" treat others so violently and inconsiderately.

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 4 comments When I talk about "the Palestinians," I of course mean the people who set their political agenda, not the ordinary people who are just trying to make their daily living.

I'm Jewish too, and I in no way try to defend the ultra-right-wing conservatives like Netanyahu (any more than I sympathize with ultra-right-wing crazies anywhere). I thought the settlements project was stupid back in the 70s when it was started, and I knew it would lead to nothing but trouble.

But the fact is that Israel is not, and never has been, opposed to a Palestinian state, if that's what they want. They gave the Gaza Strip back, after all, and the Palestinians have simply used it as a place from which to launch missiles into Israel. The official constitution of the Palestinian government calls for the destruction of Israel and the death of the Jews. As long as they continue to insist on that, I can have little sympathy for their pretend call for human rights, since they have no consideration for human rights even in their own country. They use hospitals and schools as shields to launch attacks from, without consideration for the innocents within them. Until they stop those abysmal tactics, their calls for human rights are as hypocritical as the "right-to-lifers" making pious declarations about how precious they consider life while wanting to deny poor children health care and education.

message 5: by Ahmed (new)

Ahmed | 2 comments Tell me... Where did you originally come from? Don't tell me that because you are "Jew" god or whoever promised you this land. There had never been a country called "Israel" , in fact Israel as I know is another name for Jacob and I am sure you have no blood relation to him if and I say if he ever existed. The problem is that you are trying to fool people like us that there was god who favored people like you and decided to give them a land that belonged to others ! What about the millions who don't believe in your god? The Palestinians did not come from Mars , they had always been there and there they will stay...it's you who shall one day leave.

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 4 comments A hundred years ago, the land called Palestine was part of the Ottoman Empire and was ruled by the Turks. Want to give it back to Turkey?

message 7: by Ahmed (new)

Ahmed | 2 comments Palestine does not belong to the Turks, it doesn't belong to you either...it belongs to the Palestinians , no matter what their religion is . The Israelites are not genetically the Jews , The fact is that the original people of Palestine, the Palestinians, were forced out of their land and others took it instead ,
based on a Lie that God promised them so. This " GOD" should be taken to the court of justice IF he or she ever made that promise.