High School Counseling, coun525 discussion

Arnold

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 31 comments What are your initial thoughts of Arnold?

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri Court | 25 comments I love how tender and tough Arnold is, and he's got a great big heart.

message 3: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn | 20 comments He seems to have really low expectations of himself and it was difficult to read about his feelings regarding himself and everyone around him. It was just amazing that when one person gave him some encouragement he decided to make a big life change in order to better himself which was quite brave.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Sorenson | 20 comments I think that Arnold would be a student who I would expect not to be very fond of at the beginning of the school year and grow to love by the end of the year. I think he is someone who knows he is capable of so much but needs someone to enforce that by telling him and believing in him. I agree with Jocelyn that his honesty about himself and his situation was sometimes difficult to read.

message 5: by Hollie (new)

Hollie Adair | 26 comments Arnold's situation is something akin to that of the "ugly duckling." From what I've read in the book, I think he is really going to struggle with self-identity and self-esteem as he tries to figure out how he can be himself on the reservation. As he works throught he "coming of age" procss, I think he will much become more mature, confident, one could even say "swan-like."

message 6: by Theresa (new)

Theresa G | 26 comments I agree that my initial thoughts on Arnold is that he suffers from low self-esteem, but he also is a survivor with the will to succeed.