Terminalcoffee discussion

Books / Writing > Hemingway: Yay or Nay?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24107 comments Mod
How is it we don't have a Hemingway thread? Anyways! I just finished Across the River and Into the Trees and it was underwhelming. I read The Old Man and the Sea in 9th grade and hated it. I read A Moveable Feast and quite enjoyed it. So: a mixed bag, but I'm beginning to wonder if Hemingway's fiction is not for me.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 05, 2011 07:10PM) (new)

The Old Man and the Sea is the only one I've read. I had to study it in Year 7. I don't remember hating it. I am on the fence on this one.

message 3: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments I didn’t hate The Old Man and the Sea, I remember it being quite boring but that was back in high school. I think I’d like to give it another try. I read For Whom the Bell Tolls not too long ago and I enjoyed it very much. So a tentative ‘yay’, I think.

message 4: by Lori (last edited Jul 05, 2011 07:28PM) (new)

Lori Nay. He's one fucked up male about women.

Jake likes him. I can understand that. He said that Hemingway manages to say so much in his simple sentences.

Truthfully I am probably rather biased, ever since my Fitzgerald obsession in hs.

message 5: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I really enjoyed A Farewell to Arms. I also enjoyed RUNNING WITH THE BULLS MY YEARS WITH THE HEMINGWAYS. It gives a glimpse of what life was like with Papa.

message 6: by Cyril (new)

Cyril I'm not a big fan of Hemingway, but many of you may have heard this story, which, if true, really impresses me:

According to legend, Ernest Hemingway created the shortest short story ever told. While having lunch at New York City’s famous Algonquin Round Table, Hemingway bragged that he could write a captivating tale—complete with beginning, middle, and end—in only six words. His fellow writers refused to believe it, each betting $10 that he couldn’t do it. Hemingway quickly scribbled six words down on a napkin and passed it around. As each writer read the napkin, they conceded he’d won. Those six words? “For sale. Baby shoes. Never worn.”
http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/arch...

message 7: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) I really liked A Farewell to Arms, but really disliked The Old Man and the Sea.

Right now I would say Yay, but I may change my opinion in the future.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Huh. I thought we had a Hemingway thread, too. I really liked For Whom The Bell Tolls but I wasn't rushing to read another one of his works. Maybe later in the summer.

message 9: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I've never read Hemingway. I've been meaning to for a very long time, but I just can't seem to do it.

message 10: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Huge fan of Hemingway. One of the finest short story writers ever.

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7073 comments I loved "A Moveable Feast" and was glad I'd read it before seeing Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris."

message 12: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Cynthia wrote: "I loved "A Moveable Feast" and was glad I'd read it before seeing Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris.""

I checked out A Movable Feast from the library a month or so ago, but never got to read it. I'll have to get it again and give it another go.

message 13: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I remember that we read The Old Man and the Sea (if that's the one about the albatross around the old man's neck) in school. I obviously don't remember it. I haven't read anything else of his.

message 14: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Nay! Talk about overrated. I remember writing a scathing paper on A Farewell to Arms in high school, and the teacher gave me an A+. He agreed with me!

"Why'd you assign it then!?!" I wanted to scream.

message 15: by Jammies (new)

Jammies BunWat wrote: "Also, that napkin story? Yes, very clever. And once again, batting a thousand with Hemingway, I don't like it. Sentimentality masquerading as toughness."

Bun, I don't like his so-called story because it seems like cheap emotional manipulation to me. I have that same problem with many of his stories, and I'm a huge nonfan of his style, characters, world view, etc.

message 16: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Janice, you're thinking of "Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner", which is a poem.

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori Yeah what Bun said, thank god now I don't have to!

message 18: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments I haven't read much Hemmingway and I didn't like what I read--Nay!

message 19: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Jammies "Running with Fiskars" wrote: "Janice, you're thinking of "Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner", which is a poem."

Right! We didn't read "Old Man and the Sea" then.

I was just testing you all. HA!