College Students! discussion

music, movies, tv, etc. > HP 7 Part 2

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (last edited Jul 05, 2011 07:22PM) (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments It's finally here! The last movie is just over a week away from being released!

Anyone going to a midnight showing? Any parties?

Anyone else feel like me? Completely mixed feelings, so excited to finally see it and sad because it's the end? I grew up with the books (read the first one when I was 10, and the last one when I was 17) I've been to the midnight showing for every movie.

I'm going to a midnight showing (well, 12:15 to be exact...) and a party before. We will be

"Celebrating the end of an era and the premiere of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2! Enjoy butterbeer, golden snitch pizza and Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans, play Harry Potter Scene It, and participate in a potion-making contest!"

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments I'm going to a midnight showing back at my school town with a few friends :D. Not really going to a party though.

message 3: by Ethan (new)

Ethan I think I'm going to wait a few days before I see it. While I'm highly anticipating it, it will be the same movie in another week. Maybe I'm just trying to delay the end.

message 4: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments That's fair. It's tough that this is the end (allegedly). I'm sure they'll make something else to profit off of it, but the original main story will be done with.

message 5: by Nikki (new)

Nikki I'm going to the midnight showing. They're showing Part 1 at around 9, then Part 2 at 00.01. Belgium's getting it a couple days early, I'll be seeing it on Tuesday (technically Wednesday). I'm really really excited about it, but at the same time I'm really dreading it. It will be hard to accept that there will be no more movies. I've been a HP fan for literally half my life, it will be difficult to say goodbye to that part of the HP world.

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker My boyfriend and I are going to my parents' house on the 15th. We're going to watch all 7 movies (he's never seen them) and the four of us will watch number 8 on Sunday afternoon. I'm going all out with planning good movie marathon foods (ie, stuff you can eat on the couch that has little or no prep time).

message 7: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
One of our theaters here is doing a marathon, watch 1-7 pt 1 then watch 7 pt 2. I don't think I could last that long at one sitting.

I am sad it will be the end of the movies, but I can still see them and read the books as much as I like. I am not sure JK Rowling should write anything else HP related (though I would love to read Hogwarts a History) but I really wished she would write something new!

message 8: by ~*I love Tea*~ (new)

~*I love Tea*~ | 124 comments I am going to a midnight screening with my sister and brother we are going to be dressing up as witches and a wizard, lots of us are doing it over in London. Its an end of an era!!! I don't feel as sad because I know I can always read it whenever I want! And there is always the theme park!

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I feel kind of sad about it. I feel like I have been working up to this moment for over half of my life--since I was 10 and started reading the books. I don't know what I'm going to do. Yes, the books will always be there and so will the movies. But there won't be anything new.

And Tami, I agree. She really needs to write Hogwarts: A History. I have been saying that for years and would totally read it!

message 10: by Kelly A. (new)

Kelly A. | 499 comments I can count the number of friends that I have where I live who like Harry Potter on one hand, so I was worried that I wouldn't have anyone to see the movie with, since my best friend is out of the country until August. Thankfully I found someone to go see it with on the 16th! I have warned her that I am going to cry like there's no tomorrow and she may have to physically drag me out of the theater. Parties and dressing up sounds like it'd be a blast though!

message 11: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Just spent the last 4 hours watching the premiere. The speeches at the end seriously had me in floods of tears, I'm still sniffling. So emotional.

message 12: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Nikki- where did you watch it? Is it uploaded somewhere or was it live?

message 13: by ~*I love Tea*~ (new)

~*I love Tea*~ | 124 comments The premiere was amazing, I have never seen Trafalgar square more packed! All of london was there, it was Epic, an end of an era, but I loved what Jo Rowling said; "Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you". Perfect!!!

message 14: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Kimberly: I watched the live stream on Youtube.

message 15: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Friebel (jenna_friebel) I'm going to a midnight showing, and I'm super excited. I plan on re-watching all the movies beforehand as well, but I think I'll give myself a week to do it rather than try to cram them all together. I am sad to see it ending, and I'll probably be bawling my eyes out at the end, but I think I'm more excited than sad.

message 16: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (tequilamckingbird) I've been watching all the movies today and probably will slowly for the next week, totally excited for the midnight showing, taking my baby sis to see it :)

message 17: by Dina (new)

Dina (mjoedix) I'm going to a HP mega marathon - I'm so excited! :-) Monday - HP 1-6 and Tuesday - 7.1 and 7.2 - together with my brother. However, it will be sad to say goodbye to this era...

message 18: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments I'm in the theatre waiting for it to start!!! Can't wait. :) :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG ITS SO GOOD!!!! Freaking amazing and awesome and gah, Tom Felton is HOT.
It just ended a couple minutes ago, and practically everyone here is sniffling. I'm sad to see it end too.

Enjoy it!!

message 20: by Nikki (new)

Nikki I LOVE it. I've been to see it 3 times already since Tuesday and I'm seeing it again tonight. Seriously the best movie ever.

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel 💚 (slytherin_rach) | 139 comments saw it last night at midnight, OMG its so amazing, best movie EVER!

message 22: by ~*I love Tea*~ (new)

~*I love Tea*~ | 124 comments Saw a midnight screening of Harry Potter! Everyone was dressed up, my sister and I went as witches, lol, at the end of the movie, everyone was clapping! Epic movie!!!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

No one dressed up where I went, that would have been so much fun though. We all just went in our pajamas. lol.

message 24: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Wow. Just wow. It was so wonderful! I cried like a baby. I went to a midnight showing. I didn't dress up as a character, but I wore a shirt that said Muggle, a necklace with the Deathly Hallows on it, a belt buckle that says Harry Potter and a wristband that said Deathly Hallows. (If you're friends with me on facebook you can see the picture.) I was lucky enough to be in one of the best audiences ever. They cheered and clapped when the movie started, and then again whenever something happened that they liked, for example ((view spoiler)).

Ok, I LOVED the movie, but there were some changes that I did not like...

(view spoiler)

Those bothered me the most, but I was still able to enjoy it.

Moments I LOVED...

(view spoiler)

I'm seeing it again Saturday morning, can't wait to see it again. I'm sure I'll have more to say about it. lol

message 25: by Kelly A. (last edited Jul 16, 2011 06:52PM) (new)

Kelly A. | 499 comments Something I don't get is when Snape said "You have your mother's eyes" but shows Lily with brown eyes. Other than that, I'll pretty much agree with everything Kimberly said! (view spoiler) Loved it and hope to go see it again soon!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with that too, Kimberly. I think they wanted to deviate from the actual book to contain some 'surprise' element. But most of the changes seemed to bring a negative sort of reaction.

message 27: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments HEHEHE!!!!!!

I liked it. And Kimberly I totally agree with you!

message 28: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
We went last night and I am still digesting. I had my niece on one side that hasn't read the books but came in her Hogwarts robes along with her handmade wand and she sure helped Harry and Hermoine and Ron with their spells. :) She was asking me questions clear through, and my mom on the other side was too. I am sure I missed quite a bit. We are going again some time this week. Question for you all. Did you do 3-D or regular? We saw it regularly this time, but may try the 3-D next.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I saw it 2D the first time, 3D the second. Gave me a headache, but the special effects were pretty cool.

message 30: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments I saw it 2D both times. I'm not really a huge fan of 3D. Might be fun though.

D box seats would be interesting.

message 31: by Nikki (new)

Nikki I saw the 3D version all 4 times. I love 3D, every movie should be 3D in my opinion. :D I don't see why you would want to watch the regular version.

message 32: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I am not a 3D fan. It makes my head hurt and I can't see that it adds anything to any of the movies I watched in it, that said, I think this one would be an exception. We will have to see.

message 33: by Ethan (new)

Ethan I think this one may be too dark (visually) for the 3D format.

message 34: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
well, it sounds like we are going tonight, and probably to 3D. I will give my opinion between the 2 tomorrow.

So I have been thinking of maybe being Bellatrix for Halloween this year, but I can't find a costume I really like. I was on the WB site and they have some fabulous masks. The Mad Eye Moody and Voldemort ones I really like. What character would you be if you could?

message 35: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Luna. :) I even have the long hair. (Granted it's not as long as hers and it's darker). But I think that would be fun. Her costumes are so zany.

OR I would dress up as Tonks. There was a girl dressed as Tonks at the HP party I went to. About every 30 minutes or so we'd notice that her hair would change. She had half a dozen wigs in her purse and she'd change them when no one was looking.

message 36: by Kelly A. (new)

Kelly A. | 499 comments Okay, I thought of something else. When they return to Hogwarts (the Room of Requirement I think), why were Cho Chang, Dean Thomas, and Luna already there? Cho was a year older than them and should've been graduated, Dean was on the run (it's even mentioned in the previous movie), and Luna was just at Shell Cottage a few days before! It's the little stupid things like that that really bother me lol.

message 37: by Tami (last edited Jul 19, 2011 02:05PM) (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Ginny also not at school, McClaggen (sp?) was Cho's age, and weren't they hiding from the teachers?
It bothered me but I see how they wanted to get everyone into the movie.

message 38: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments Tami what'd you think of the 3D?

message 39: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
It was good. I don't normally like 3D but it didn't bother me as much this time. I do love this movie. I didn't notice the differences from the book as much and heard some of the lines I must have missed the first time around. (view spoiler)

message 40: by Ethan (new)

Ethan I finally saw it! (I know I'm crazy late but its been a busy few weeks) I thought it was a really great ending to a fantastic franchise. Its been a while since I last reread the novels, but I really didn't mind the little changes. In some cases I thought the film even improved on the novel.

message 41: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Es, which parts did you like better?

message 42: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Kimberly wrote: "Es, which parts did you like better?"

I thought it would be fun to rank each movie. Check out this post.

message 43: by Tj (new)

Tj Robinson (TJRobinson) | 8 comments Definitely the best of the HP movies! I can't wait to see it again.

message 44: by Ema (new)

Ema I loved the movie, it was definitely much better than the first part, but I wouldn't consider it the best. For me, the fourth and fifth ones were at the top.

I want to go watch it in 3D, but I can't find any time at all!

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments All I can say about it, months later, is wow. It was awesome and I can't wait for it to come out on DVD. I was so happy that my son decided to arrive after the movie came out! I would have been so mad if I wasn't able to see it.

message 46: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Kimberly wrote: "Es, which parts did you like better?"

1. Prisoner of Azkaban: For me, this was the first film in the franchise to truly capture the essence of the novel. The drastic changes to the Hogwarts landscape and the small touches of magical detail helped to truly bring the story to life. Many fans still hold negative reactions to some of the liberties taken with the story, but as a film, this was the most effective installment.

2. Order of the Phoenix: Arguably the most difficult novel to adapt to screen, this film took the form of any top notch political thriller and applied it to the Harry Potter franchise. I thought that director David Yates managed to keep the spirit of the story alive while fixing several serious narrative flaws from the novel.

3. Sorcerers Stone: I can still remember standing in line as a kid, waiting to see the movie adaptation of one of my favorite novels. While there were some definite flaws with this one, the movie remains one of my favorites based on nostalgia and the sense of awe and wonder that I still get when I watch it.

4. Half Blood Prince: Similar the the third film, I loved the gloomy look of this one. Throughout the entire film there was a real sense of dread. Balanced with some comedic moments, similar to those found in the earlier installments, the movie really worked as a lead in to the finale.

5. Deathly Hallows Part 2: I've only seen this one time, but I thought it was a great finale to the series. Many plot changes were an improvement on the novel, and every actor, no matter how small the part, showed great pride in portraying their character. The epilogue scene, accompanied by John William's cue from the first film, brought the series to a grand full circle.

6. Chamber of Secrets: Although this was really similar in almost every way to the first film, it managed to capture a darker tone that foreshadowed the events to come in later films, and also triggers a deep nostalgia. Perfect casting of key characters, especially Lucius Malfoy, helped to bring this adaptation to life. Yes, better adaptations would follow this film, but, for the time, it was great.

7. Deathly Hallows Part 1: If anything, this adaptation was too faithful to the source. At over 2 1/2 hours, there were many moments in the film when all momentum was lost. Perhaps taking a note from the makers of the third film, director David Yates captured beautiful shots of the natural landscapes surrounding the characters to the point where the forests and mountains were like characters in themselves. Unlike the other parts in this series, this one felt like half of a movie.

8. Goblet of Fire: There were many great moments of this film, particularly the climatic graveyard scene with the return of Lord Voldemort. However, the movie, as a whole, felt incredibly rushed. The entire world cup section came and went, leaving me underwhelmed. By the end of the film, I was exhausted after witnessing these characters plow through each plot point as if it were some task on a list.