European Royalty discussion

History Group Reads > Madame Tussaud: Overall (Potential Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Feel free to discuss anything about the book in this thread. If you (and others) are here, you (and they) have finished the book, so don't worry about posting spoilers. If you haven't finished the book, you may not want to read anything here yet!

Also, please let us know how you rated the book (3/5, 4 of 5, however you choose)!

message 2: by Kit (new)

Kit Finally finished the book. I'm not a big "French monarchy person. But did enjoy it. I love her wax figures. Would love to have seen them in person. Her life was quite interesting! I'm going to push myself to read more of this era. I think there is a book on the life of Maria Therese.

I'm more into the Russians and English. And into the Crusades eras.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) I really enjoyed MT. It was the second book I've read by Moran (the other one being Cleopatra's Daughter) and I liked this one about as well as CD. It's hard to compare the two since MT covers such a bloody, sad time in history. I rated it 4.5 stars rounded to 5.

message 4: by Kit (last edited Jul 21, 2011 12:56PM) (new)

Kit Kimberly wrote: "I really enjoyed MT. It was the second book I've read by Moran (the other one being Cleopatra's Daughter) and I liked this one about as well as CD. It's hard to compare the two since MT covers su..."

I think it was a very bloody time, too. It reminds me of the Romanovs. There are many similarities: depression, lack of food, disloyaties to the Monarachy, new politicals groups emergining, etc. (All those little items that lead to rebellions.)

message 5: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I just finished this book yesterday and really enjoyed it. I want to try to read more about this era in French history as well! I was never all that interested in it but now I feel hooked. I was shocked that Rose ended up being Josephine (I know NOTHING about her - I'm sure this is common knowledge). I'm jumping into The Many Lives & Secret Sorrows of Josephine B. now because I want to know more about her.

I'd like to read the biography about Marie cited at the end of Madame Tussaud (and some of those other books cited as well). I wish her models had survived! I would have loved to have seen them as well. I can understand why they would have been such a draw at the time - with no TMZ and US Weekly and pictures of celebrities everywhere, how else would you know what these people looked like? I was never interested in going to the Madame Tussaud wax museums, but if I ever make it back to London I would like to go to that one now.

message 6: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Sara, I have been to the museum. It is very fun!!!!

You absolutely must read the whole trilogy that begins with The Many Lives & Secret Sorrows of Josephine B.. You should read one after the other. You will not get bored. The whole thing is wonderful.

A Place of Greater Safety: A Novel is also a very good book. Recognize the author? :0)

I am still considering Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution. I have heard such conflicting opinions. How many stars did you give it?

message 7: by Sara W (last edited Aug 11, 2011 01:16PM) (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Chrissie wrote: "Sara, I have been to the museum. It is very fun!!!!

You absolutely must read the whole trilogy that begins with The Many Lives & Secret Sorrows of Josephine B.. You should read one ..."

Hilary Mantel - took me a second but then I remembered - Wolf Hall!

I think I'm giving Madame Tussaud 4 stars (debating between 4 and 5, so maybe 4.5 as a compromise!). I didn't LOVE it like I've loved some other books (I wouldn't say it's a classic to get passionate about), but I really enjoyed it and kept wanting to come back to it (I've been starting a lot of books lately and not finishing them). It made me more interested in French history and the French Revolution than any other book that I've read, and I'd like to read the non-fiction book about Marie. If the author wrote a sequel about Marie's time in London, I would definitely buy it. I can't really think of anything that I disliked about the book.

I'll have to read some of the bad reviews to see what people said! Pretty much all of what happened in the story was new to me (besides knowing the names Robespierre, Rosseau, LaFayette and the royals and the fact that the guillotine was used), so maybe that was in my favor? What have you heard about it?

message 8: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Generally, I have heard that it is slow going in parts. Kirkus said the same. I have considered Madame Tussaud: A Life in Wax instead. I have noted that if I want to try a book by Moran, Nefertiti might be a better choice.

Gulland's Bonaparte books were VERY engaging. I reviewed them all together and gave the whole trilogy one star rating. They shuld not be split up; see them as one book. I think I gave them 5 stars.

I chose to read A Place of Greater Safetyrather than Wolf Hall. Wolf Hall sounded too heavy. I am not one to rad all the books of one author. I try and pick the one that I believe will be the best. I like trying different authors.

Nobody says Madam Tussaud is bad, but you do not hear raving reviews from anyone. And I have read about the French Revolution before.

message 9: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (lesleyhere) | 8 comments I really enjoyed this book. I didn't know anything about MT prior besides a quick wiki check when I heard about the book. I think her position during the French Revolution was absolutely fascinating. What an incredible situation to find yourself in! So greatful that I don't have to live it. I could not put it down. I'm sure I would've finished it in one reading if I hadn't forced myself to do other things.

It turns out some of the wax figures they made are still in London and I'm actually putting a trip to MT on my list of things to do. I would never consider going to a wax museum ever until this book.

I would give it 4.5 but I rounded it up to 5.

message 10: by Christy (new)

Christy English (christy_english) | 24 comments I really loved this book. I was absolutely fascinated by MT, and I knew almost nothing about her when I began this book. I read it while I was sick in bed, and Michelle Moran really transported me to France...I loved being drawn into MT's world, though the French revolution was pretty horrifying. I give this book a five star rating

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 12 comments I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I've never had any great interest in reading about the French Revolution, nor have I ever desired to see Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum. Michelle Moran has piqued my interest in both. I rate it 4.5/5 stars.

message 12: by Christy (new)

Christy English (christy_english) | 24 comments Lisa, I'm glad you love it too. And I am even more excited, b/c i found out that the same guy who made the Tudors miniseries is now working on a script of Madame Tussaud...Hurray!!

message 13: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Christy wrote: "Lisa, I'm glad you love it too. And I am even more excited, b/c i found out that the same guy who made the Tudors miniseries is now working on a script of Madame Tussaud...Hurray!!"

Oh wow, that will be fascinating to watch! I'd love to see what some of her displays looked like at the time.

message 14: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (lesleyhere) | 8 comments Ooh that is exciting! You can see video of the sleeping beauty wax figure with the breathing that they mentioned on YouTube!

message 15: by Christy (new)

Christy English (christy_english) | 24 comments Me too Sara...Lesley, that sounds very cool...

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 12 comments Christy wrote: "Lisa, I'm glad you love it too. And I am even more excited, b/c i found out that the same guy who made the Tudors miniseries is now working on a script of Madame Tussaud...Hurray!!"

What exciting news! I'm sure it will make a fantastic mini series. I could visualize the story as I was reading it and thought that it would be a great book to bring to the big screen (movie or mini series.) Congratulations to Michelle Moran!

message 17: by Christy (new)

Christy English (christy_english) | 24 comments Absolutely, Lisa. I am very excited to see it...I wonder who they will cast as Madame Tussaud?

message 18: by Debra (new)

Debra Brown (debrabrown) | 10 comments They cannot make enough of these movies and series for me.

message 19: by Christy (new)

Christy English (christy_english) | 24 comments Me too Debra! I love being catapulted into the past like this... And I love that this mini series will feature a woman protagonist...and one I enjoyed learning about in the novel