Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1) Twilight discussion

The Cover and Its Meaning

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by BubblesTheMonkey (last edited Jul 05, 2011 05:49PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

BubblesTheMonkey What did you think when you first saw the cover? (the hands and the apple, not the picture one of Bella and Edward,etc.)

I wasn't sure what to make of it when I first saw it. I was like "wow... an apple... that's amazing". :)

message 2: by Lacy (new) - added it

Lacy It's depicting the scene in the book when Edward finaly stops being an obnoxious jerk. In many stories an apple has a lot of signifigance mostly of posioning. Most trust an apple,for some reason it signifies innocence, so the bad guys use it to kill or put people in a really deep sleep. Maybe the whole apple thig dates all the way back to the story of Th garden of Eden.

Any way back to the point, it signifies the turn in their relationship.

BubblesTheMonkey Okay. That explains quite a bit. Thanks

message 4: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Honestly, I didn't think anything at first, but then I read the first quote in the book, just before chapter 1. I think that apple was chosen as it's the "forbidden fruit".

Sierra Bookworm☺️♪ ...I just thought it was an apple. things can be just simply what they are. theres not a philosophical meaning in everything. the red contrasts well with the white and black. thats it.

AlbertaJenn According to Stephenie Meyer herself: "The apple on the cover of Twilight represents "forbidden fruit." I used the scripture from Genesis (located just after the table of contents) because I loved the phrase "the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil." Isn't this exactly what Bella ends up with? A working knowledge of what good is, and what evil is. The nice thing about the apple is it has so many symbolic roots. You've got the apple in Snow White, one bite and you're frozen forever in a state of not-quite-death... Then you have Paris and the golden apple in Greek mythology—look how much trouble that started. Apples are quite the versatile fruit. In the end, I love the beautiful simplicity of the picture. To me it says: choice."

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/twiligh...

message 7: by Lacy (new) - added it

Lacy AlbertaJenn wrote: "According to Stephenie Meyer herself: "The apple on the cover of Twilight represents "forbidden fruit." I used the scripture from Genesis (located just after the table of contents) because I loved ..."

Good job doing a bit of research, if only...

The Romance Bookie When I first saw the cover in bookstores like 6 years ago, I always thought this book was a Snow White story, haha, but you know the red poisonous apple looks just like that apple on the cover! But after reading the book I completely understood. I think all the covers are pretty in the series. They each have there own individual meaning and I love that!

http://romancebookie.blogspot.com/

message 9: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie When I first saw It I thought about the Forbidden Fruit in the Genesis and how it plays to the idea of temptation.

Marien Dore The cover of all the books have the same colors: red, black, white. Red represents Bella as a flagile little human on each cover and the white is power, vampire, immortal.
So on the cover of Twilight, the apple represents Bella and she is in Edwards hands. The meaning: Edward is tortured by her blood and wants it so badly and can have it just as easily (she is in his hands and in his reach). Like the poison apple, if he eats her, he will feel poison and torment for what he did to her but it would satisfy his taste. Bella is the forbiddin fruit.
The cover for New Moon is of a white and red flower(Bella and Edward together). The small red petal falling is Bella like when she spirls down after Edward leaves.
The cover for Eclipse, has no white but only a red ribbon. Meaning, Edward (white) isn't the only guy there anymore. The cover only represents Bella this time because she is being torn over Edward and Jacob. It shows us Edward, who isn't represtented on the cover, might not be the dominate male in Bella's life anymore.
Breaking Dawns cover shows a chess board and on it is a red pawn and a white queen piece. The red piece represents Bella as a human (like on the other covers). Now, she is a vampire (white) and is no longer a weak pawn but a strong queen. But the cover may have a different meaning. It could mean that Bella is the white queen since she is a vamp and the pawn this time could represtent Renesmee. I think it's the former but that is what I love about these covers. They go so deep, there are many possablities of what they could mean.

The Romance Bookie Renee wrote: "The cover of all the books have the same colors: red, black, white. Red represents Bella as a flagile little human on each cover and the white is power, vampire, immortal.
So on the cover of Twi..."

Oh wow! That is probably one of the best descriptions I've ever read! :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Surprisingly in-depth for a Twilight book. I guess that's the only part Meyer put any thought into.