The 104 Book Challenge - 2011 discussion

REALLY GOOD READS: April - June 2011

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Strand (jenniferstrand) | 155 comments Mod
We're halfway through the challenge! Many of you are overachievers and are well above the pace of about 52 books by the end of this week to keep on track for 104 books by years end. Some of us are a bit below, but don't fret! There's still time to catch up.

For those of you wanting to play along, let's post the best of the quarter, just like we did last quarter.

Here's what I'm suggesting: Post the best book you've read since starting the challenge. Just one. It might be tough to narrow it down, but consider that a good sign. You're lucky enough to be on a great reading streak. You should also tell us what genre of book it falls into and why it's your favorite. There are over 200 members in the group now so we should be able to a great variety of "best yet" books in one spot.

So, let's hear it. What has been your REALLY GOOD READ this quarter? I'm talking to you, too, lurkers. We wanna see what you're reading, too!

Jen

message 2: by Okie (last edited Jul 07, 2011 08:46PM) (new)

Okie (okiecavies) Well, I actually read my favorite book last fall [The Thirteenth Tale]. For this quarter, my favorite is Death Echo by Elizabeth Lowell.

message 3: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 09, 2011 09:12AM) (new)

Jennifer Strand (jenniferstrand) | 155 comments Mod
Oh, my goodness! I forgot to post my favorite book of the quarter.

My favorite book was Divergent by Veronica Roth. You should check this out even if you're not a fan of YA. It is AMAZING!

message 4: by Lyssa (last edited Jul 09, 2011 04:47PM) (new)

Lyssa | 141 comments After looking back at Apr-Jun, my favorite of the bunch was The Dead Path by Stephen M. Irwin The Dead Path I was a big fan of Stephen King back in the day, and this gave me the King vibe - call it the "happy creepies" if you will - even tho I haven't picked up many horror books in recent years.

message 5: by Irelyn (new)

Irelyn | 111 comments My favorite book this quarter was Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. I read quite a few others that were good, but this was by far the best. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been enjoying Rachel Gibsons books about the Chinnocks hockey team. They are romances but very funny too.

message 7: by Nanci (new)

Nanci | 89 comments My favorite book this last quarter was Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool. I really loved this book. It is children's fiction as it is the latest Newberry winner but for me it was very meaningful. This is cheating, I know, but I have to say that Bruiser by Neal Shusterman is a close second. For some reason this made an impact on me as well.

message 8: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments Beauty Queens by Libba Bray. She manages to create a hilarious parody that is as full of heart as it is of humor. (Plus, there's pirates). :)

message 9: by Amy Nielsen (new)

Amy Nielsen (amynielsen) | 124 comments Kristin wrote: "Beauty Queens by Libba Bray. She manages to create a hilarious parody that is as full of heart as it is of humor. (Plus, there's pirates). :)"

Anything by Libba Bray is awesome. I'm going to have to add this to "to-read"!

message 10: by Amy Nielsen (last edited Jul 17, 2011 09:22PM) (new)

Amy Nielsen (amynielsen) | 124 comments I have to say The Maze Runner and it's equally awesome sequel The Scorch Trials was far and away my best reads this quarter. I have HIGH hopes for the ending book that hopefully is still planning it's release in November. Super awesome books, guys - especially for those of you who liked The Hunger Games, in it's own right a great book. But I think Hunger Games's sequel missed its mark where The Maze Runner and Scorch Trials were both completely compelling and amazing. For what it's worth .. The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) by James Dashner The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner um, not in that order :)

message 11: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 149 comments The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon... I saw this advertised on Goodreads and the book cover just caught my eye. I read some reviews and decided to give it a try and it was awesome!

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (indiereadergirl) I am having a tough time deciding, I have read a lot this quarter. I think A Poisoned Seasonwe may been my favorite of all. I have really gotten into historical fiction, these days; and this mystery/historical fiction series is just amazing. I would highly recommend this book, and all of the others.

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) I have read quite a few really good books this quarter - here is my list:

The Help
The Kitchen House

and here is a series that I read that I will continue with:

Sworn to Silence
Pray for Silence
Breaking Silence