Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Achive > A Clash of Kings - GRRM

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Basil (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) I'm just about to sit down to the first page. Can't wait!

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I hope you enjoy it. :D

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I love this book. Clash and Storm of Swords are among the best in this series, I think. I reread it recently, too! I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of it, Basil!

message 4: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments I'm rereading it, but it may get crowded out by other stuff. I just don't think I'll be able to get it, Swords, and Feast done by Tuesday.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I read it for the first time not long ago, and I thought it was a little build-up heavy in the beginning, but I really loved the 2nd half.

message 6: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 357 comments When I was first getting into ASoIaF, I somehow thought that this was the first book in the series, and I was astoundingly confused when I started reading it. Then I went back and read AGoT and it made more sense. :D [/cool story bro]

Think I'll be able to start this in 2-3 days, maybe sooner if I'm impatient enough. It's only a week 'til ADwD now? Eep...

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) Everyone is waiting for A Dance with Dragons.

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (bookaphile) | 43 comments am halfway through A Feast of Crows, can't wait (gleeful smiles)

message 9: by Judy (new)

Judy Olson | 49 comments Looking forward to adding book #5 to the other 4.

message 10: by Tacuazin (new)

Tacuazin | 16 comments I started rereading it a few days back. I want to have everything fresh in my mind when A Dance with Dragons is finally released!

message 11: by Basil (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) Yeah - I realize a lot of people have already read through the existing books. I'm approaching Clash for the first time, as others may be as well. It would be cool if we could keep discussion to the first two books (at least when it comes to plot and story).

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

How far along are ya, Basil?

message 13: by Basil (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) Just got to the very beginning of the first chapter (so done with the prologue).

The prologue was a nice appetizer, introducing the Red Woman and her monotheist religion (Caprica anyone?).

message 14: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments That parallel never really occurred to me.

message 15: by Basil (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) It's a theme I've noticed lately in fantasy (and I guess sci-fi, though that realm of BSG seemed to blur the divide between the genres).

The Big Bad Church with Only One God.

I think it's a sort of unconscious collective lashing out at monotheistic religions and their penchant for intolerance and violence.

As a monotheist myself, I always find it fascinating.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Huh.

I've actually never had that click before.

message 17: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments If it's clicking for you, you're one ahead of me. Basil, are you referring to something specific to the show, Caprica, or to the character from BSG? I am not picking up on a specific parallel, although I do agree that the theme is one common way religion is treated, just like the idea of the evil, vacant polytheistic religion standing in the way of the true believers in the one true god is another.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I meant this part:

The Big Bad Church with Only One God.

I think it's a sort of unconscious collective lashing out at monotheistic religions and their penchant for intolerance and violence.

I tend not to notice it when it occurs, because it just flows along with how I normally see things. So it was a 'click' that pretty much had me going "damn, I'm blind as hell sometimes".

message 19: by Basil (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) I was referring to the show "Caprica". How the monotheists clearly had a subversive and less than friendly agenda.

Call it an emerging trend in spec. fic.

Anyway - I'm moving along. Finished the first chapter (Arya). I see they took snatches from book two and snuck them into the end of the TV series for book one. I suspected as much.

message 20: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) Basil wrote: "Call it an emerging trend in spec. fic."

It's not very new; it's been fashionable forever to bash monotheism/religion in effigy. I could make a long list of books where the Church is the Big Bad ... it's a stale, unimaginitive theme.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

The show took a few scenes from later books and stuck them into the first season.

Don't think there was any that were really important though.

message 22: by Basil (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) Tracey wrote: "It's not very new; it's been fashionable forever to bash monotheism/religion in effigy. I could make a long list of books where the Church..."

I suppose I only began really noticing it after watching BSG.

I'm a fan of The Kingkiller Chronicle, which seems to have most of the known world following the same religion (monotheistic), and yet there are good and not so good people who believe the same things. This is a more realistic way to go, I think. Rather than pitting two religions against each other.

I'm doing something somewhat similar in the novel I'm planning out. One god with a few different (and sometimes conflicting) belief systems.

message 23: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I don't know. They had some stuff happening at the end of the HBO series that doesn't happen until near the end of Clash of Kings. (view spoiler)

message 24: by James (last edited Jul 07, 2011 03:25PM) (new)

James Gonzalez | 131 comments Jason wrote: "I don't know. They had some stuff happening at the end of the HBO series that doesn't happen until near the end of Clash of Kings. [spoilers removed]"

I don't recall that happening in the HBO series. I remember them having a conversation but that's it.

message 25: by Dawn (last edited Jul 07, 2011 03:30PM) (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Yeah, what James said, I thought it was just conversation number one.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

It was just a conversation. Between Jaime, Cat and a rock.

message 27: by James (new)

James Gonzalez | 131 comments Ala wrote: "It was just a conversation. Between Jaime, Cat and a rock."

LOL. A very vocal rock.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Gotta admit, that Rock did have a few good points to make :P

message 29: by Basil (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) FINALLY, the ROCK has come to House Lannister!

Can the KINGSLAYER smell what the ROCK is cooking?

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) Basil wrote: "FINALLY, the ROCK has come to House Lannister!

Can the KINGSLAYER smell what the ROCK is cooking?"

lol!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

If The Rock showed up to Layeth the Smacketh Down on all of Westoros... I, for one, would welcome the new Jabroni beating, Pie Eating overlord.

message 32: by Basil (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) After watching the HBO series, I now picture each character as the actor from the show.

It's bugging me when I come across a description of a character that doesn't really match the actor. Jon Snow for instance, does not have a long face in my brain, despite the protestations of the page.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

There's also the fact he's not as old in the books as he is on the show.

That probably doesn't help much either.

message 34: by Basil (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) Yeah. I find this bugging me more with Robb Stark than with anyone else.

My guess is that the books span several years, and they decided to cast older rather than younger. Assuming they'll do one book per year.

message 35: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 357 comments Basil wrote: "FINALLY, the ROCK has come to House Lannister!

Can the KINGSLAYER smell what the ROCK is cooking?"

Hahahahahaha!

Just started re-reading this a few days ago. Theon is still a jerk. And I still hate him. :P

message 36: by Basil (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) I read Theon's first chapter. I see what you mean Valerie.

And finally! It took forever, but I finally got to hang out with Dany.

Currently, I like Dany, Arya, and maybe Jon Snow the best. I think I'll grow to like Bran more once he figures out what his deal is.

Anybody else find the (view spoiler) thing a little bit like Perrin from WoT?

message 37: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments Basil wrote: "Anybody else find the wolf dream thing a little bit like Perrin from WoT? ..."

Yes, it's exactly like Perrin from Wheel of Time, i am pretty sure that's where he got the idea from.

message 38: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments Basil wrote: "Yeah. I find this bugging me more with Robb Stark than with anyone else.

My guess is that the books span several years, and they decided to cast older rather than younger. Assuming they'll do one ..."

From my understanding, a large part of why they had to cast older was the sex aspect.

message 39: by Basil (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) So, nearly 30% in and I'm disappointed. Nothing much has HAPPENED.

Tension is just starting to mount now. I have a feeling that when they adapt this for TV, they'll compress everything I've read so far into one episode.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

It should be picking up soonish.

message 41: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 357 comments Keep going. I was annoyed because it was slower than I remembered, but the climax makes it all worth it.

message 42: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Machavelli wrote: "Basil wrote: "Anybody else find the wolf dream thing a little bit like Perrin from WoT? ..."

Yes, it's exactly like Perrin from Wheel of Time, i am pretty sure that's where he got the idea from."

I don't think they're too much like Perrin. If so, the books would be three times as long. The chapters would go on and on and on and on....GRRM is brief about it, at least.

message 43: by Basil (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) AHAHAHAHA!

(view spoiler)

message 44: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Basil wrote: "AHAHAHAHA!

[spoilers removed]"

So do I. (view spoiler).

message 45: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) lol @ Chris :)

message 46: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments Chris, ya had me worried there...

message 47: by Basil (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) I think GRRM is obsessed with incest. I really do.

message 48: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments It's a fascinating subject, and he certainly has a lot to draw on from history and the monarchies of the last several centuries on back.

message 49: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) I like how he treats it in the political sense.

When the Targaryens do it, everyone's cool with that. It's how they solidify their power.

When the Lannisters or anyone else does it, they're seen as wicked people going against the gods.

message 50: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) I'm about 1/5th of the way through, reading this for the first time. I sort of don't mind that it's been a little slow to get going, there are so many characters to follow.

Tyrion is one of my favourite characters from the first book and he seems to be getting very busy arranging things to his liking.

I'm very interested to see how it'll all work out in the end, but in the meantime there are so many schemes that could go wrong (for everyone).

« previous 1