The Passage (The Passage, #1) The Passage discussion

Similar Books

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Davidson I'm just about through with this one and I'm looking for something similar. I've heard people compare this to The Stand, but come on...it's not even close.

Karen Eitzman The Passage has so many elements that remind me of other stories I've read. The Stand is one, but also I Am Legend by Richard Matheson, and The Penal Colony (forgot the author). If you haven't read Swan Song by Robert McCammon, that's a good place to start. It's similar to The Stand, but even though Stephen King is one of my favorites, Swan Song is better than The Stand.

Jimmy "In the Penal Colony" is a short story by Franz Kafka. Is that what you were referring to, Karen?

message 4: by John (new) - added it

John Jimmy wrote: ""In the Penal Colony" is a short story by Franz Kafka. Is that what you were referring to, Karen?"

I'm thinking this one?The Penal Colony The Penal Colony by Richard Herley

message 5: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Davidson I wondered the same thing.

Karen Eitzman Yeah, sorry, it's the novel by Richard Herley. In The Passage, the whole section when they're in the compound kind of reminded me of The Penal Colony. That's a great book. Reminiscent of Golding's Lord of the Flies. The Penal Colony was made into a decent movie (loosely based) in the 90s called No Escape.

message 7: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Davidson The only part of The Passage I didn't like was the compound during the middle part of the book. It just kind of dragged. Way to many characters with little relevance.

Karen Eitzman I like any kind of story that takes social organization down to basics. Good guys and bad guys. Although of course it's never that simple. But generally, the bad guys outnumber the good, the good guys have something the bad guys want, and the good guys are smarter. I wish I could find more books like that.

message 9: by Melinda (new) - added it

Melinda I just read "Sleepless" by Charlie Huston. It reminded me abit of "The Passage" and I thought it was just as good.

Trike Comparisons with The Stand are dead on (no pun intended). The Passage is essentially just a better written remix of King's doorstop. The elements aren't just similar, they're practically identical: haunting dreams compel people to travel across a post-apocalyptic America to visit a magical black woman living in Colorado so they can confront the ultimate evil once and for all... maybe. Plus almost everyone and their pet dog dies. (For this type of tale, that's not a spoiler.)

So if you liked this, you might like The Stand. Stay away from the expanded version, though. The extra material is superfluous and actually makes the book worse because of errors in editing.

Tegan Try The Strain Trilogy by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. They're similar and I enjoyed them.

The Strain (The Strain, #1) by Guillermo Del Toro The Fall (The Strain, #2) by Guillermo Del Toro Eternal Night (The Strain, #3) by Guillermo Del Toro

message 12: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Davidson Thanks Tegan.

Tegan No problem! Hope you enjoy them!

message 14: by Ruth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth I am currently reading Under the Dome by Stephen King. It's about how a small community reacts when it is literally separated from society by an invisable barrier. Before long the true colours of the inhabitants begin to show and, rather reminicent of The Stand, there become two clear camps of good and evil. There are also hints of Lord of the Flies as anarchy takes hold.

Cathryn I liked Under the Dome as an example of how to write really great characters. I wasn't happy with the ending but overall I would recommend it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I need something to read while I wait for the sequel. I heard it's due out in May 2012. I also read the excerpt that's in the paperback version of The Passage. Sucked me in (no pun intended) right from the first sentence.

message 16: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Davidson There are very few King books that have a satisfying ending for me. The lead ups are great, just no payoff.

Karen Eitzman Wait, Cathryn, what sequel? To Under The Dome, or The Passage?

Karen Eitzman Oh yeah, I forgot to agree with Dan. I wish Stephen King ended his stories well. It's been years since I didn't roll my eyes a lot during the entire last chapter!

Cathryn Karen wrote: "Wait, Cathryn, what sequel? To Under The Dome, or The Passage?"

Sequel to The Passage. It's called The Twelve and I heard somewhere that it's due out in May 2012. There's an excerpt in the paperback version of The Passage that was just released.

message 20: by Mike (last edited Aug 11, 2011 07:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike Cavosie The Historian
Newsflesh (Feed, Deadline)
Angelology

More expansively:
Robopocalypse
World War Z
World Made by Hand (World Made by Hand, Witch of Hebron)
Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse

Wendy Barlow Mike wrote: "The Historian
Newsflesh (Feed, Deadline)
Angelology

More expansively:
Robopocalypse
World War Z
World Made by Hand (World Made by Hand, Witch of Hebron)
Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse"

I found Angelology to be a pretty bad book. Could not get into it at all and didnt really like any of the characters.

Trike Robopocalypse is just a C effort, really, and not much like The Passage or the Stand. WWZ maybe,

Leslie Cathryn wrote: "Karen wrote: "Wait, Cathryn, what sequel? To Under The Dome, or The Passage?"

Sequel to The Passage. It's called The Twelve and I heard somewhere that it's due out in May 2012. There's an excerpt ..."

The Twelve to be release 10/16/12. Hurray!!!!

message 24: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Cathryn wrote: "Karen wrote: "Wait, Cathryn, what sequel? To Under The Dome, or The Passage?"

Sequel to The Passage. It's called The Twelve and I heard somewhere that it's due out in May 2012. There's an excerpt ..."

Hi, everyone. I just read on Amazon that the sequel to The Passage comes out on October 16. I'm waiting impatiently, too!

Leslie If you liked The Passage I would suggest Robert McCammon's Swan Song.

message 26: by Erik (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erik Tegan Mae wrote: "Try The Strain Trilogy by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. They're similar and I enjoyed them.

The Strain (The Strain Trilogy, #1) by Guillermo del ToroThe Fall (The Strain Trilogy, #2) by Guillermo del ToroThe Night Eternal (The Strain Trilogy, #3) by Guillermo del Toro"

i enjoyed the first book, but after that it went downhill and i was very disappointed by the second and third book.

message 27: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John B. Some older books with similar themes I enjoyed were "Earth Abides," "The Day of the Triffids," and "The Last Ship."

But "The Passage" reminded me very much of McCammon's "Swan Song," so I'd check that one out first.

Jeffery Moulton Check out I Am Legend. It's an older book, but in some ways The Passage is a modern update. There are some striking similarities and a lot of differences, but both were great reads.

Debbie John wrote: "Some older books with similar themes I enjoyed were "Earth Abides," "The Day of the Triffids," and "The Last Ship."

But "The Passage" reminded me very much of McCammon's "Swan Song," so I'd check..."

I loved The Passage but I was so bored with Swan Song, and in my opinion Swan Song really had a very unsatisfactory ending. Important things seemed to happen, story lines developed, and then went nowhere. I couldn't wait to finish Swan Song, just to finally finish it and find something else to read.

message 30: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori Taylor I really enjoyed The Dome as well, and like you really didn't care for the ending. Not sure what I would have done differently, but I guess I wanted a tie in with the 'aliens' and Big Jim.

message 31: by Gene (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gene Heinrich Tegan Mae wrote: "Try The Strain Trilogy by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. They're similar and I enjoyed them.

The Strain (The Strain Trilogy, #1) by Guillermo del ToroThe Fall (The Strain Trilogy, #2) by Guillermo del ToroThe Night Eternal (The Strain Trilogy, #3) by Guillermo del Toro"

I second this reply! This trilogy is amazing, moves fast and has well drawn characters. It hits the ground running and does NOT let up until the end of book 3 - and this is not an exaggeration.

Julia War Day-Whitley Strieber&James Kuneta (1984)also -Fire-Alan Rodgers(1990) and.Dark Advent-Brian Hodge(1988) very much worth the search! Swan Song is my Favorite,but I keep the others close!

message 33: by Jeff (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeff Funny -- I must be the only person in the world who liked -- nay, loved the ending of "The Dome." I'm with you guys about King's endings problems, but I think he totally nailed the end of that one. I'm also one of the few who really liked the end of "The Dark Tower" novels.

Go figure.

I also came here looking for a Passage-ish book but unfortunately, I've read all the books recommended!

If any of you enjoy listening to novels (and I really like listening to novels I've already read), I highly recommend The Passage on audiobook. Great narration, perfect (IMO), in fact. And Swan Song is also great on audiobook.

Leslie Swan Song by Robert McCammon. This was my favorite book of all time...until The Passage.