Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Give Me 5

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 112 comments Another GR group I'm in had this great idea, so I thought I'd adapt it to PNR! I thought this would be fun, plus give other people a chance to recommend something that they've read and liked!

Rules:

1. When you post, you first need to pick a book for the person above you to read next. You HAVE TO have read at least 1 of their 5 so you can choose for them. (If you havent read any of the books please dont post yet and wait for a list with books you have read!)

2. Under your book suggestion, list your 5 books that you are considering reading

3. Watch for the next post under yours to see what book will be your next one to read.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 112 comments Since I'm the one that posted this, I'll start it out. So, I don't have a book to choose for anyone, but I'll post my 5 that I'm debating between.

Choose a great one for me!

Seduced by the Storm (ACRO, #3) by Sydney Croft Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward The Vampire Queen's Servant (Vampire Queen, #1) by Joey W. Hill

message 3: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn Sorry, I'm still tired and groggy! Can you post the link to the thread on the other group so we can see how exactly this is done? I'm intrigued.

message 4: by Hey There Delilah!! (last edited Jul 05, 2011 10:18AM) (new)

Hey There Delilah!! (lilone322) | 26 comments I've also seen this is another group (maybe the same group you've seen it) but I've never had a chance to participate. either I havent read the books or I'm too late for the ones I did read. sucks either way. hope I get to participate here.

message 5: by Hey There Delilah!! (last edited Jul 05, 2011 10:23AM) (new)

Hey There Delilah!! (lilone322) | 26 comments I'm going to pick Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione Love this series

here's my picks

Deeper Than Midnight (Midnight Breed, #9) by Lara Adrian Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Firelight (Firelight, #1) by Sophie Jordan Die for Me (Revenants, #1) by Amy Plum Entwined by Heather Dixon

message 6: by Cindy (last edited Jul 05, 2011 10:40AM) (new)

Cindy | 112 comments It looks like you guys have it figured out, but here's the link of where I got the idea:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

message 7: by Nanna -DD- (last edited Jul 05, 2011 10:44AM) (new)

Nanna -DD- uuuhuhhh, read firelight ;)

When I'm done reading shadowfever should i then read:

Lover Unbound by J.R. Ward Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles The Collector by John Fowles Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma or Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong (ooops, counted wrong ;P )

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments Beautifully Broken by Sherry Soule For the Love of a Vampire (Blood Like Poison, #1)  by M. Leighton Becoming Edward by Faye Meredith Waiting For You by Susane Colasanti Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2) by Kalayna Price

I pick Outlander for you Nanna. Great series!! Long though.

message 9: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn I got it! Sorry, just slow today! :p

Continue.

message 10: by Cee (new)

Cee | 82 comments This is a great idea guys! I'll await my turn though... (;

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 112 comments Ok, so it looks like no one has read any of the books that Mlpmom has chosen? I'm going to step up and say if anyone has HEARD anything good about any of these or has one of them on their own TBR list, go ahead and recommend it, so we can keep this moving along!

message 12: by AlbertaJenn (last edited Jul 06, 2011 11:34AM) (new)

AlbertaJenn Mlpmom wrote: "Beautifully Broken by Sherry SouleFor the Love of a Vampire (Blood Like Poison, #1)  by M. LeightonBecoming Edward by Faye MeredithWaiting For You by Susane ColasantiGrave Dance (Alex Craft, #2) by Kalayna Price would be a very wise choice. I find that I really enjoy the rest of a series if I loved the first one.

Okay, I have actually started a number of books, but have not finished them. So my choices are going to be which book to work on right now to finish.

Surrender (MacKinnon’s Rangers, #1) by Pamela Clare Secrets of the Night (Malloren, #4) by Jo Beverley Linked by Love by Roz Denny Fox Rode Hard, Put Up Wet (Rough Riders, #2) by Lorelei James Motor Mouth (Alex Barnaby, #2) by Janet Evanovich

message 13: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 112 comments Albertajean, finish up Motor Mouth (Alex Barnaby, #2) by Janet Evanovich . I liked it, but do you find that Alex Barnaby is just Stephanie Plum in a new location?! It's still entertaining though!

Here are mine:

At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Desire Unchained (Demonica, #2) by Larissa Ione Seduced by the Storm (ACRO, #3) by Sydney Croft A Job From Hell (Ancient Legends, #1) by Jayde Scott

message 14: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn Cindy wrote: "Albertajean, finish up Motor Mouth (Alex Barnaby, #2) by Janet Evanovich. I liked it, but do you find that Alex Barnaby is just Stephanie Plum in a new location?! It's still entertaining though!

Here are mine:

[bo..."

I actually haven't read Stephenie Plum, so I don't have that comparision bothering me! But I will do!

message 15: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Okay got it - but AlbertaJenn you confused me with your post. Did you pick a book for Cindy? if not Cindy I pick http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35...

Here are mine:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...
I know they may not all be paranormal romances but I haven't read them yet so I'm not sure if there is romance or not...?

message 16: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Okay - I think I have this. But AlbertaJenn didn't pick a book for Cindy so I think I can do that.

Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward

I'm not sure if mine are in the paranormal romance category or not since I haven't read them and some of them have male leads but these are the ones I'm interested in:
Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1) by Sydney Croft Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost Nightlife (Cal Leandros, #1) by Rob Thurman Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie (jessesgurl) | 68 comments Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost ....mmmm Bones mmmm
Male leads do NOT disqualify romance...that is a reoccurring fantasy of mine!!!

Darkling (#3)-Yasmine Galenorn
Warrior (#2)- Cheryl Brooks
Darkfever (#1)- Karen Marie Moning
Ghostland (#1)- Joy Strong
50 ways to Hex your Lover - Linda Wisdom

Can someone please tell me how to do the little book cover link thingies?

message 18: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Katie wrote: "Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost ....mmmm Bones mmmm
Male leads do NOT disqualify romance...that is a reoccurring fantasy of mine!!!

Darkling (#3)-Yasmine Galenorn
Warrior (#2)- Cheryl Broo..."

I'm not picking for you because I've already had my turn but I've read the Ghostland series, Fever series, and I JUST finished book 9 of the Sisters of the Moon (Galenorn's) series today. I'm curious to see what the next poster picks for you :)

message 19: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn ***An Aside***
Sorry, I didn't pick since I'm not finished Motor Mouth yet. Just commented.

message 20: by Cee (new)

Cee | 82 comments Hi Katie! I'd definitely go for Darkfever, that book blew me away (:

* How to make cover thingies: above the comment box there is a link "add book/author". Click it, type the name of the book, enable the option "cover" (it's set to "link" as default), then simply click "add", and you have shiny things in your post!

Here's what I've got:
Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4) by Kim Harrison Broken (Women of the Otherworld, # 6) by Kelley Armstrong Eyes Like Stars (Théâtre Illuminata, #1) by Lisa Mantchev Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

message 21: by Katie (new)

Katie (jessesgurl) | 68 comments Lan-Dinh - I finished Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione a few months ago and it was ok. I think I need to read some others from the series. How is the Ghostland series?

Celine - Thank you for helping to satisfy my inner Valkyrie with shiny things!! I keep hearing that

Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning is awesome!

message 22: by Cee (new)

Cee | 82 comments You're welcome Katie (: It's very awesome, I hope you will enjoy it too!

message 23: by L-D (last edited Jul 10, 2011 08:34AM) (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Celine wrote: "Hi Katie! I'd definitely go for Darkfever, that book blew me away (: "

HA! That's what I would've picked for Katie too of the 3 I've read!

Katie wrote: "How is the Ghostland series?"

Katie - the first book, Ghostland, was heavy into the sex. I like some steamy scenes but I like me some plot too :) But the second book was better and the third book was my favorite of the series. But the Fever series is AWESOME. So much action. I recommended it to my sister just last weekend and she plowed through them. It's also nice that the series is finished so you don't have to wait a year for the next release - but I do hope Ms. Moning makes another series set in the same world with some spin-of characters.

message 24: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 112 comments Celine, for sure you've got to read Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward - Definitely my favorite of the series, so far!! It's amazing.

Here are my 5:

Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5) by J.R. Ward Seduced by the Storm (ACRO, #3) by Sydney Croft Desire Unchained (Demonica, #2) by Larissa Ione At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost Edge of Danger (T-FLAC, #8) by Cherry Adair

message 25: by L-D (last edited Jul 22, 2011 07:52AM) (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Cindy - I've read 3 of the 5 you've picked and while I love J.R. Ward's series, since I JUST started reading the Night Huntress series with my sisters and sister-in-law then I pick that one for you! At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost .

Here are my next 5:
One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost Seduced by the Storm (ACRO, #3) by Sydney Croft A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George R.R. Martin Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk Unclean Spirits (The Black Sun's Daughter, #1) by M.L.N. Hanover

message 26: by Julie *-* (new)

Julie *-* (ladymamaj) | 98 comments OH! I would pick One Foot in the Grave for you Lan-Dinh... (chapter 32 *_* ) Awesome series!!!

Here are my 5...

Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1) by Karen Chance Dragon Actually (Dragon Kin, #1) by G.A. Aiken Ashes of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #6) by Lara Adrian Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh

message 27: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Julie wrote: "OH! I would pick One Foot in the Grave for you Lan-Dinh... (chapter 32 *_* ) Awesome series!!!

Here are my 5...

Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1) by Karen Chance Dragon Actually (Dragon Kin, #1) by G.A. Aiken..."

Thanks! I was hoping that would be the pick ;) Not that I wouldn't have read it anyway!! The books you listed are awesome - you'll love those...

message 28: by Coffeentea (new)

Coffeentea | 128 comments Julie, you just listed 2 of my all time favorite series (Kate Daniels and Psy-Changelings) besides IAD. I pick Magic Bites for you. There isn't much romance in the first book but it develops slowly over the series. The world building and action are awesome. I love Kate's snarky sense of humor.

Here are my 5
I'll Be Slaying You (Night Watch, #2) by Cynthia Eden Dangerous Highlander (Dark Sword, #1) by Donna Grant Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3) by Faith Hunter Ravenous (The Dark Forgotten, #1) by Sharon Ashwood

message 29: by Julie *-* (new)

Julie *-* (ladymamaj) | 98 comments Coffeentea wrote: "Julie, you just listed 2 of my all time favorite series (Kate Daniels and Psy-Changelings) besides IAD. I pick Magic Bites for you. There isn't much romance in the first book but it ..."

Right on!!! Done deal!!!

message 30: by L-D (last edited Jul 22, 2011 12:27PM) (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Coffeentea wrote: "Julie, you just listed 2 of my all time favorite series (Kate Daniels and Psy-Changelings) besides IAD. I pick Magic Bites for you. There isn't much romance in the first book but it ..."

Wowwww - this is impressive. You listed five books and I haven't read ANY of those! That's never happened! I'm going to have to remedy that and read some of the books you listed! But the only one I've even heard of is KMM's Highland series. I'd love some reviews on the other books if anyone's familiar with them!

message 31: by Coffeentea (last edited Jul 22, 2011 02:14PM) (new)

Coffeentea | 128 comments Oh really? I was thinking about reading the Fever series, I heard someone said that I should read the Highlander series before Fever. Should I switch out some of my books? Didn't realize how obscure these books are. I just saw recommendations here and there and so I got them from the library to try out.

message 32: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Coffeentea wrote: "Oh really? I was thinking about reading the Fever series, I heard someone said that I should read the Highlander series before Fever. Should I switch out some of my books? Didn't realize how obs..."

NO! Obscure is not necessarily a bad thing! Some of my favorite books this year were pretty obscure! I read the Fever series and LOVED it. Then I was hesitant to get into the Highlander series because I was afraid it wouldn't be the same pace - more focused on the romance and less on the heroine kicking demon ass. :)

I say keep the books you have but let me know if they're any good!! ;)

message 33: by Coffeentea (last edited Jul 26, 2011 05:25PM) (new)

Coffeentea | 128 comments Ok, now I really have to update my list because I read Beyond the Highland Mist and Dangerous Highlander, and currently reading I'll Be Slaying You.

Beyond the Highland Mist - it's a time travel historical romance with Fae elements. It's good. I heard other people say this series will get better and have more paranormal elements, so I'll keep reading.

Dangerous Highlander - a historical paranormal romance with Druid magic. So far, I am liking it but couldn't help to draw the parallel between this story line and Lords of the Underworld. The warriors have ancient gods (that were banished to the underworld) living in them and they have to try to control the gods. Similar to the lords having demons living inside and having control issues.

Here are my new 5
Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3) by Faith Hunter Ravenous (The Dark Forgotten, #1) by Sharon Ashwood To Tame a Highland Warrior (Highlander, #2) by Karen Marie Moning Beast Behaving Badly (Pride, #5) by Shelly Laurenston Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) | 21 comments ARRGH!!!!! I need to catch up before I can post 5 to read of my own...... I'll suck it up and do it if no one chooses for you soon.

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) | 21 comments Coffeentea - I choose Beast Behaving Badly (Pride, #5) by Shelly Laurenston for you (if you haven't already read it!). I LOVE those!!!

My next 5 are:

Infected Prey (Infected, #1) by Andrea Speed Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3) by Melissa Marr Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers, #2) by Rachel Vincent Starjacked by Karin Shah

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Cindy i choose Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins for you ;)

My next 5 is:

Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb The Battle for Skandia (Ranger's Apprentice, #4) by John Flanagan Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton Angelfire (Angelfire, #1) by Courtney Allison Moulton Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld

message 37: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments wow - can't help again. I haven't read any of Cindy's or Louise's options! A great thread for learning about new authors!

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) | 21 comments Thanks Louise!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Ive choosen for myself since this thread seems to go really slow here

message 40: by Cee (new)

Cee | 82 comments I really like the idea of this thread.. But no one seems to be participating ):

message 41: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Celine wrote: "I really like the idea of this thread.. But no one seems to be participating ):"

I like this thread too but get stuck when the 5 books are unknown to me!

I have a few books left for my August challenge.
Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione Skin Deep (Laura Blackstone, #1) by Mark Del Franco Crave (The Fallen Angels, #2) by J.R. Ward Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones

message 42: by Brei (last edited Aug 17, 2011 10:05AM) (new)

Brei | 29 comments Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk

Ok for my five

Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia Hard Day's Knight (Black Knight Chronicles, #1) by John G. Hartness ] The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss, #1) by Marjorie M. Liu The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1) by Mike Carey

message 43: by L-D (last edited Aug 17, 2011 10:01AM) (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Brei wrote: "Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk

Thanks!

Hey, Honalee has been released?

message 44: by Brei (new)

Brei | 29 comments No I misread it the date

message 45: by L-D (last edited Aug 17, 2011 10:12AM) (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Brei wrote: "No I misread it the date"

ooh - bummer

I know it's against these thread rules, but if no one else picks for you, I love the Fever series.

message 46: by Duchess Nicole (last edited Aug 18, 2011 03:18PM) (new)

Duchess Nicole | 138 comments I like this idea, too! I just noticed this thread.
Okay, I think I have to pick for you, Brei. So, I pick Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning

Freaking awesome series! And for my five:
Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6) by Kim Harrison Succubus on Top (Georgina Kincaid, #2) by Richelle Mead Highland Scoundrel (Campbell Trilogy, #3) by Monica McCarty Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicole R. i choose Succubus on Top (Georgina Kincaid, #2) by Richelle Mead for you. Its one of my favourite series !

Im reading Angelfire (Angelfire, #1) by Courtney Allison Moulton atm, and after that my next 5 are:

Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters #1) by Kelly Keaton Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, #5) by John Flanagan