Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Tears in my Eyes and on my Pillow - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I am doing a re-read for the dozenth time, and when I had to stop reading last night and go to bed, I realized that I had tears in my eyes. I had just finished reading the part when Jamie made his decision that it was time to leave Willy when I went to bed. Definitely sad tears for me.

An example for me of happy tears is when Claire goes back and re-meets Jamie and he faints on an ink spill.

There are so many times in this series that bring me to happy or sad tears that I wondered what were some of the memorable scenes for you guys that did the same.

message 2: by Pam (new)

Pam | 48 comments omg Dragonfly as Claire leaves Jamie and goes back through the stones.I sobbed or days.

message 3: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments I normally don't cry while reading books, but I did get very "misty" when Ian, Sr died. One of the sadder moments in this series and there are many.

message 4: by Wan (last edited Jul 07, 2011 09:50AM) (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments There were so many teary moments. But same as Pam -- mine was when Claire had to leave to go back thru the stones. I was bawling like a baby.

message 5: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (krisstep11) | 8 comments Anything that had to do with Faith did it for me.. I can't imagine ever losing a child.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

That whole section gets me every time. My heart just dies a little each time I read it. Guess we are super lucky to have decent health care next to what they had in the 1740's.

message 7: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (Cristina_) | 38 comments Pam wrote: "omg Dragonfly as Claire leaves Jamie and goes back through the stones.I sobbed or days."

Am doing a re-read of DIA and am dreading that chapter so am reading verra slow. The first time I read it I cried so hard (sobbing) I was useless around the house and even cried in my car driving to work.

message 8: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments I think DIA was the sadest book of the entire series. From the miscarriage to the departure scene. ...and Claire had to faced it on her own. She didn't even know that Jamie was imprisoned....and He didn't even know what had happened to her. ~~sniff..sniff~~ :-(

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane (danderv) | 60 comments Beth wrote: "I am doing a re-read for the dozenth time, and when I had to stop reading last night and go to bed, I realized that I had tears in my eyes. I had just finished reading the part when Jamie made his ..." Your happy tears moments is one of my favorites! The tears are usually accompanied by laughing out loud, everytime I read it!

message 10: by Terry (new)

Terry | 32 comments Cristina wrote: "Pam wrote: "omg Dragonfly as Claire leaves Jamie and goes back through the stones.I sobbed or days."

Am doing a re-read of DIA and am dreading that chapter so am reading verra slow. The first tim..."

I've been reading and re-reading this series since I was pregnant with my first child--who is now 19. It still makes me cry every time I read it, and I always pick up new details.

message 11: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments I've been reading and re-reading this series since I was pregnant with my first child--who is now 19. It still makes me cry every time I read it, and I always pick up new details.

Most definitely!

There are certainly dozens of poignant moments throughout the series. At the moment, Jamie’s multiple rescues of Claire come to mind. From when Randall got his hands on her to being rescued from the witch trial. I just love Jamie’s casual but profound comments!!

And yes, I cried for days too at the scenes mentioned above! The not knowing what had happened to the other was torturous for the both of them. They mourned each other as if they had lost the other in death. Truly awful! I could barely take it!

message 12: by Terry (new)

Terry | 32 comments But that is what makes it so good!

message 13: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Oh you are sooo right Terry! A bit sadistic actually!lol

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Here's one that I read tonight that had me laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. The wedding of Fergus and Marsali by Father F. Gosh that was so funny.

message 15: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I love that scene.

message 16: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Beth wrote: "I am doing a re-read for the dozenth time, and when I had to stop reading last night and go to bed, I realized that I had tears in my eyes. I had just finished reading the part when Jamie made his ..."

Gosh, there are so many, many moments.

I absolutely LOVE and laugh through my tears in Voyager when Claire and Jamie reunite, he faints then comes to and thinks he's wet himself. I cry when he sees the pictures of Brianna.

I always cry in Outlander after he saves her from Randall and tells her she's "tearin' his guts out..." and the many scenes in the Abbey after Claire saves Jamie.

I cry in DIA when Jamie tells Claire how he told Ian about Black Jack and Ian silently cries for him. I cry when Claire loses Faith, when J & C are reunited afterwards, and most especially when he sends her back through the stones.

I love the part in ABOSAA when Jem's true paternity is revealed. That part is a laugh and then cry moment.

I love in DOA when Bree goes to Lallybroch. Also, when she and Jamie finally meet! When he finds out about Bonnet and then comforts Bree after they talk about what happened. Sigh.

I bawled my eyes out in EITB when Ian, Sr. died. I seriously cried the entire chapter and the one following. I was inconsolable.

message 17: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I sobbed my eyes out when Ian died too. It was horrible. It wasn't only that he died, which was sad enough. It was HOW he died. I was so devestated that that was how his life ended, and that poor poor Jenny had to watch the love of her life waste away like that. That would have been a horrible nightmare.

message 18: by Jen (at last!) (last edited Jul 12, 2011 07:52PM) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Wendy F wrote: "I sobbed my eyes out when Ian died too. It was horrible. It wasn't only that he died, which was sad enough. It was HOW he died. I was so devestated that that was how his life ended, and that po..."

I know! Especially, because it was kind, wonderful, full of goodness Ian. I loved his silent strength. I cried for Jenny, but I cried b/c he was Jamie's anchor. His brother in all sense of the word. Sigh.

message 19: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Guarding jamies weaker side!

message 20: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (Cristina_) | 38 comments :(

message 21: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Omg please stop, (sob, sob, sob!) You're tearin my guts out! Sniff sniff ( ok, don't stop even tho you're killing me here)

message 22: by Teresita (last edited Jul 17, 2011 01:25PM) (new)

Teresita A | 531 comments Jen wrote: "Beth wrote: "I am doing a re-read for the dozenth time, and when I had to stop reading last night and go to bed, I realized that I had tears in my eyes. I had just finished reading the part when Ja..." yes Jen that is why I love the series. There are so many memorable parts in all the books. As for Jamie spanking Claire I for one forgave jamie for that,especially after reading his version of it in The Exhile because if he didn't do it Then Dougal threatened to. I think Jamie he rather beat her than have someone else do it for him. and it was the only way to make things right again with his men. etc..I also cried when Ian Sr died because aside from Jamie he was one of my favorite characters in the books. I loved Ian Sr and ian jr. I also always had a soft spot for Fergus andwhen I saw the actor that plays Tadeo in the new Selena Gomez movie Monte Carlo I thought he would make a perfect Fergus. I know his first name is Pierre but i forget his last name. Very handsome dark haired french actor.
P.S.It broke my heart when Fergus tried to committ suicide.

message 23: by Jen (at last!) (last edited Jul 16, 2011 11:48AM) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Teresita wrote: "yes Jen that is why I love the series. There are so many memorable parts in all the books. As for Jamie spanking Claire..."

YES! These books are amazing! Diana is a truly gifted storyteller. She gets you to really feel the emotions of all the characters. She tears my guts out with each book and I LOVE it! :)

Yes, Wendy, guarding Jamie's weaker side! Gosh, I love Ian Sr. I have a love for both the Ians. It broke my heart, too, when Fergus tried to commit suicide. I'm so glad he failed. I'll have to google this french actor you mention, Teresita...

The spanking scene never bothered me b/c I was familiar enough with 18th century mores so it all made sense to me. Still, in her place I would've been fuming. LOL I don't think he actually beat her. The bum's a sensitive region and Jamie was a strong man. It wouldn't take much to leave her sore. ;) It was better that Jamie do it than Dougal. He would have gotten some sick enjoyment from it seeing as how he lusted after Claire. Plus, I think it would have been worse for Jamie when it came to the men had he not.

I think I'm going to bawl my eyes out with this last book. Jamie and Claire feel like family to me b/c I've been reading about them since I was 17...that's half my life! I'm not ready to say goodbye to Jamie, Claire et. al. I hope Diana writes more...maybe we'll get to see precocious Jem as a grown man. Wouldn't that be amazing?! I think he'd be quite like his Granda. Don't you?

message 24: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I'd love a Young Ian book, or a Jem book.

message 25: by Jen (at last!) (last edited Jul 16, 2011 03:41PM) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Wendy F wrote: "I'd love a Young Ian book, or a Jem book."

Yes, let's hope she puts one or both of those guys in a future book!

message 26: by Teresita (last edited Jul 18, 2011 03:18AM) (new)

Teresita A | 531 comments Jen wrote: "Teresita wrote: "yes Jen that is why I love the series. There are so many memorable parts in all the books. As for Jamie spanking Claire..."

YES! These books are amazing! Diana is a truly gifted s..."
Hi Jen, Sorry I had the actor's name wrong in Monte Carlo that i said would make a great Fergus. I thought his name in the movie was Tadeo but I googled the cast and it shows as theo and his real name is Pierre Boulanger...wish i knew how to copy a photo here...

message 27: by Teresita (new)

Teresita A | 531 comments Wan "Artemis", the Dark-Hunters' Goddess wrote: "I think DIA was the sadest book of the entire series. From the miscarriage to the departure scene. ...and Claire had to faced it on her own. She didn't even know that Jamie was imprisoned....and He..." Hi Wan, Yes when Jamie was having the duel with Jack Randall and Claire started bleeding and lost conciousness and Jamie was calling out to her and they arrested him and he could not get to her, then they didn't know what happened to each other was so SAD to me...Poor Jamie banging his head against the wall and they had to tie him or something to keep him from hurting himself. and Claire going into such a state of depression that she could not get out of. I kept thinking "oh no, she lost the baby!' And when they finally saw each other again and she didn't want to speak with Jamie or look at him, I felt so sorry for Jamie. Actually for both but am glad Jamie insisted and would not let her just walk away.

message 28: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments sniff..sniff.. :-(

message 29: by Teresita (new)

Teresita A | 531 comments Wan "Artemis", the Dark-Hunters' Goddess wrote: "sniff..sniff.. :-(" yes Wan..sniff sniff is right...Aside from Jamie's rape, Claire losing the baby and what they both went through during that time was so heart wrenching.

message 30: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Aw, you're making me relive some very emotional moments here ladies! DIA is actually my second favorite of the series, O being first favorite of course.
I was watching the night sky last night. The moon was pretty bright and I could see for miles. Couldn't help but think of J and C on their way to Lallybroch. How they slept outside, lived off the land, hunting, foraging. And Jenny later trying to pick out twigs and the like from their hair. Too sweet and such a nice calm and rare quite time in their otherwise whirlwind of a life.

message 31: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Teresita wrote: "Hi Jen, Sorry I had the actor's name wrong in Monte Carlo that i said would make a great Fergus..."

Dinna fash, Teresita, I looked him up on IMDB. ;) He's quite attractive and, I agree, would make a perfect Fergus. He possesses aristocratic features which is exactly what Fergus has!

At all the other ladies who have commented! Sigh and sniff! Those very moments of DIA are the ones that "tear my guts out." I seriously LOVE these books!

I got a coworker hooked and it's so much fun witnessing her first experiences with the books. I found myself thumbing through my fave moments in Outlander and got sucked in all over again. I think I shall start my umpteenth reread...sigh. :)

message 32: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments It doesn't take much to get sucked back in does it! I almost try to avoid it... like childbirth... its so painful! Seriously.

message 33: by Teresita (new)

Teresita A | 531 comments Yes, I mention these books to everyone I know and a friend from work mentioned it to her friend who started reading Outlander agreed it started out slow but after several chapters she was so hooked on the book she went straight to Barnes & Noble and bought the whole series (lol!) she is now reading THE FIERY CROSS but she finds it sooo slowww she is not reading it as fast the the others. I told her to give it a chance and that by the middle of the book it starts getting better. That is when poor Roger goes through that awful hanging. At that part i kept thinking "No! No! No! That can't be happening to Roger..OMG..."

message 34: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Teresita wrote: "Yes, I mention these books to everyone I know and a friend from work mentioned it to her friend who started reading Outlander agreed it started out slow but after several chapters she was so hooked..."

@Ladyhawk and Teresita: No, it doesn't take much at ALL to get sucked right back in. I love every minute of it.

Oh my gosh, I died the first time I read that Roger got hanged. His beautiful voice! It was such a traumatic scene and then his painful recovery.

message 35: by Teresita (last edited Jul 19, 2011 04:13AM) (new)

Teresita A | 531 comments Beth wrote: "I am doing a re-read for the dozenth time, and when I had to stop reading last night and go to bed, I realized that I had tears in my eyes. I had just finished reading the part when Jamie made his ..." Hello Beth, The parts that I can recall that made me misty eyed that currently come to mind is: When Ian Sr died, when Claire had the miscarraige, when Jamie had to leave his son William, when Jamie was recovering in the monastery and cried in Claire's arms and called her 'mama', when Claire had to leave Jamie and go thru the stones, when Claire almost died and Jamie was grieving which was during the time Fergus tried to take his own life, when Claire had to cut/amputate Jamie's finger, when Roger was found hanging, and only other part that comes to mind now is when Jamie nearly died of the snake bite and thought they would have to amputate his leg.

message 36: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments One "scene" that got me was when Claire visited Faith's grave.

message 37: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Teresita and Carren: I concur! Plus, any of the Ian Jr. parts of him talking about Emily and his baby. :(

message 38: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 187 comments You are taking me down memory lane!

I bawled in ABOSAA when the Mackenzies went back to the 20th century, but giggled when Jamie told Jem to give his regards to a rodent named Michael.

I can't wait to re-read series starting in January in anticipation for book 8!

message 39: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Sandy, I know, me, too! I didn't want them to go back, but I knew they had to. I am going to re read in January, as well in anticipation for book 8! I canna wait!

message 40: by Teresita (new)

Teresita A | 531 comments oh, and I just remembered i also got very emotional after Claire lost the baby and was staying at her friends house, before Jamie came to see her, and Fergus confessed how Jack Randall tried to rape him at the brothel and Jamie defended him which was why they dueled and she hugged him. He thought it was his fault that Jamie was gone and was sent to prison. My heart went out to him.

message 41: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 187 comments I am probably going to cry more during my re-read of the series. (I seem to cry more each time I watch Titanic.)

message 42: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Teresita wrote: "oh, and I just remembered i also got very emotional after Claire lost the baby and was staying at her friends house, before Jamie came to see her, and Fergus confessed how Jack Randall tried to rap..."

Oh gosh, yes! That whole part of the story was so tear your guts out sad.

message 43: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Sandy wrote: "I am probably going to cry more during my re-read of the series. (I seem to cry more each time I watch Titanic.)"

I'm sure I'll cry more as well. Sigh. :)

message 44: by Teresita (new)

Teresita A | 531 comments I just can't wait for the 8th book!!! Any idea when it will be released? This waiting is torture...I wonder what tear jerking parts will be in that book. And I don't want to look at any more clips of the book because it makes me want to read more and more. It's like an addiction...My sister family/friends can't understand why I am so into the Outlander series. lol

message 45: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Well, I'm assuming it will be around September of 2012. I don't know why that date is in my mind, but it is.

Do you think this is the last book? If so, I'm not ready to say goodbye to Clan Fraser. I also have this theory and I feel she's going to tear our guts out if my theory is correct.

message 46: by Teresita (last edited Jul 22, 2011 02:15PM) (new)

Teresita A | 531 comments Jen wrote: "Well, I'm assuming it will be around September of 2012. I don't know why that date is in my mind, but it is.

Do you think this is the last book? If so, I'm not ready to say goodbye to Clan Fraser..."
In a way I sort of hope this is the last book in the series because this waiting 2-3 years is too much for me but then again I don't want it to end but I know it will have to whether it's this one or the next. DG is one of the most gifted authors/writers. She knows how to draw you into the story. Whether some chapters in the book are slow doesn't matter to me because she makes it worthwhile. My sister is one that will skip parts in books or movies if it drags on but I ask her 'what is the point in skipping any part of it, you might miss something then wonder why later?'
I just lent her THE TEA ROSE by Jennifer Donnelly (which I liked very much) and she has only read a chapter or 2 but I know it's also because she has an 8 year old son who keeps her occupied, etc...

message 47: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Amen! I read it all b/c it has importance. Herself never writes anything unnecessary.

I know I read somewhere about the last book and how it will end...and I'm intrigued. Verra.

message 48: by Sue (new)

Sue Erickson | 673 comments Claire going back and when Jamie received Last Rites at the Abbey. Sobbing!! :(

message 49: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Sue wrote: "Claire going back and when Jamie received Last Rites at the Abbey. Sobbing!! :("

Gosh, yes, that whole Abbey part was terrifically sad.