All Things Medieval discussion

Lionheart by Sharon Penman

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 251 comments Just wanted to let you all know, there are copies available at the GR giveaway as well as at Librarything. Go go go go and enter.

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori (loriacarter) | 16 comments Already entered at Goodreads. Will have to head over to LibraryThing!

Thanks (even though I have pre-ordered for my Kindle).

Lori

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonk) | 59 comments Thanks for spreading the word, Misfit!

message 4: by Iset (new)

Iset :) I had already entered here on GoodReads, but I went and joined LibraryThing just so I could enter there too! (Don't worry Sharon, I can provide a US address even though as you know I live in the UK). And thanks Misfit for spreading the word - I've just increased my chances of winning a shiny new copy, so I'm thrilled!

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonk) | 59 comments I'm glad to hear you found a way to outsmart the system, Beth! Especially because my British publisher is not bringing out Lionheart till March of 2012.

message 6: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 251 comments Sharon wrote: "Thanks for spreading the word, Misfit!"

:) From looking at the number of entries I'd say your's is very popular.

message 7: by Iset (new)

Iset Sharon wrote: "I'm glad to hear you found a way to outsmart the system, Beth! Especially because my British publisher is not bringing out Lionheart till March of 2012."

I have a very kind friend who lives in the US and takes receipt of them for me, then ships them on to me! :) I'm paying her back the cost of shipping with Amazon gift vouchers.

Lol I hope that's okay. I hit upon the idea because in the past when I couldn't find a book I wanted from Amazon UK I set up an account with Ammy USA and simply ordered from there and had it shipped. I thought to myself, if only I could provide a holding address for these giveaway competitions that are US only, and someone to forward the books onwards to me. I asked around and people didn't seem to be bothered that I actually live in the UK, just as long as I could provide a US address they were fine with it. So, I started going for it - I'd been a bit disgruntled how we folks in the UK were missing out on the latest US author releases, as some books that I was desperate to get my hands on an early copy, historical fiction that looked really good, was just passing me by. :) I decided to do something about it - but I couldn't do it without my American friend, so very grateful to her!

I've just thought of a question, Sharon. Do the American copies of your book versus the British copies have the different spellings or are they basically the same but with a different cover and release date? Like, for example, will it be "grey" in the British Lionheart and "gray" in the American one, "honour" in the British copy and "honor" in the American one? Or will it be the same for both?

message 8: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonk) | 59 comments Different spellings for sure, Beth. Though it will be "grey" in both the American and British editions, for I won that battle with my copy editor for Sunne, arguing that we had to be consistent since Elizabeth Woodville's son was Thomas Grey. I like the British spellings for medieval novels, try to sneak them in whenever I can. I had a funny letter once from a British reader telling me he'd read my mystery, Prince of Darkness, and while he'd really enjoyed it, he'd been put off by the American spelling. He then did a mini rant about it, fussing that my British publisher had not gone with the "correct" spelling. I had to explain that he'd actually read the American edition, for my British publisher had not bought Prince of Darkness. I never heard from him again, probabably too embarrassed!

message 9: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 251 comments Sharon wrote: "Different spellings for sure, Beth. Though it will be "grey" in both the American and British editions, for I won that battle with my copy editor for Sunne, arguing that we had to be consistent si..."

I expect the different spellings if I'm buying a novel from the UK (or even Canada) and it's come to a point I rarely notice it anymore. When I've been reading mostly UK published novels I do find my spelling suffers and bit and lost without the spell checker :P

message 10: by Iset (new)

Iset Misfit wrote: "I expect the different spellings if I'm buying a novel from the UK (or even Canada) and it's come to a point I rarely notice it anymore. When I've been reading mostly UK published novels I do find my spelling suffers and bit and lost without the spell checker :P "

I'm the same, but vice versa. I expect almost everything out of the States to be in American English, but there is a stuttering quality to it - I always end up pausing whenever I come across an American word, and thinking "Centre" or "Organise" or "Defence" as though I'm mentally correcting some imaginary entity.

message 11: by Ddelmoni (new)

Ddelmoni | 3 comments And I though I was the only one ah...resourceful?... enough to request a copy on both Librarything and Good Reads!:) I'm counting on LibraryThing for this one. Best of luck with Lionheart Sharon.

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 42 comments March 2012 for the UK one now? I thought it was getting a bit close for the autumn! Thank goodness the USA one is out sooner!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 79 comments That's like the flip side of the C.J. Sansom novels, which always seem to come out in the UK at least six months before they do here.

message 14: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianwainwright) | 12 comments I am longing to read this - the wait is killing me!

message 15: by Owen (new)

Owen (RoxiesGrandad) | 24 comments Join the queue Brian

message 16: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonk) | 59 comments Brian and Owen, thank you so much! I am having a very bad day thanks to computer problems, so I needed a morale booster.

message 17: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 251 comments Sharon wrote: "Brian and Owen, thank you so much! I am having a very bad day thanks to computer problems, so I needed a morale booster."

Sharon, your book is the book to be waiting for. I can't even think of any other new releases I care about except for the Koen book which hasn't landed at the library yet. There are very few authors I will drop money for a finished copy even if the library got it and you are one of them. Now to decide, kindle or hardback?

message 18: by Iset (new)

Iset Misfit wrote: "Sharon, your book is the book to be waiting for."

Seconded. For me it's the book event of this year. It's the single most anticipated book I've been looking forwards to of 2011.

message 19: by Owen (new)

Owen (RoxiesGrandad) | 24 comments It's almost like waiting for a birth after a two years plus pregnancy. Sharon's research and writing have taken so long because she wanted so much to do Richard justice and give us Richard the man as well as Richard the king. This will certainly be a great fore-runner to whet the appetite for the follow-up novel, King's Ransom, which is the next project owing to the fact that the subject was too big for one book. So much more to look forward to. Without a doubt, Sharon goes from strength to strength, and although for personal reasons Here Be Dragons will always be my favourite of all time, I am as eager as anyone to get my hands on Lionheart.

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (rockstarninja) So I'm totally psyched, I entered on both LT and GR to win Lionheart and actually won through LT!

message 21: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 251 comments Melissa wrote: "So I'm totally psyched, I entered on both LT and GR to win Lionheart and actually won through LT!"

Congrats Melissa.

message 22: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Aug 02, 2011 12:15PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 79 comments Well done!

ETA: What is LT?

message 23: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 251 comments Librarything.

message 24: by Iset (new)

Iset Urgh, I didn't win Lionheart on anything! I'm devastated. Sharon's books are my favourite books ever. I've never enjoyed anything as much as her writing. When I was a child, I got so bored with and sick of childrens' books that there was a time when I was around 9/10 years old when I very nearly became lost to reading as a pastime. Then I read When Christ and His Saints Slept and it turned all that around. Reading became a passion, not a pastime. Nothing I can ever say can express just how much Sharon's books mean to me. I'm so so disappointed that I didn't win a copy of Lionheart.

message 25: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonk) | 59 comments Congratulations, Melissa. I'm sure you will give it a good home! Beth, I will probably do a book giveaway on my blog for Lionheart after it comes out in October. I am going to do book giveaways for Devil's Brood, too, for August and September. I was planning the 4th, since that is the pub date in the US, but August 4th is the anniversary of two very important medieval battles--Richard I's second battle at Jaffa in 1192 and Simon de Montfort's battle at Evesham in 1265, so I will need to write about them both on the 4th. So the August giveaway gets delayed; I never argue with strong-willed soldiers like Coeur de Lion and Simon.

message 26: by Iset (new)

Iset Sharon wrote: "Congratulations, Melissa. I'm sure you will give it a good home! Beth, I will probably do a book giveaway on my blog for Lionheart after it comes out in October. I am going to do book giveaways ..."

Wow, a double battle-anniversary! And involving two of my favourite characters from your books - an occasion of note, indeed!

message 27: by Ddelmoni (new)

Ddelmoni | 3 comments Won an ARC of Lionheart from LibraryThing. Absolutely made my day!!!! Can't wait for it to arrive.

message 28: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar Sharon wrote: "Congratulations, Melissa. I'm sure you will give it a good home! Beth, I will probably do a book giveaway on my blog for Lionheart after it comes out in October. I am going to do book giveaways ..."

Will you be doing an international giveaway or US only? I'm in Australia and would love to win a copy :-).

message 29: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (rockstarninja) I was just wondering Sharon, if you know, are the books in the giveaways actually ARC's or copies of the complete and finished work sent out early?

message 30: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonk) | 59 comments If you get it now, Melissa, it has to be an ARC, for the book is not available yet.

message 31: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonk) | 59 comments Jemidar, it will be open to anyone who posts a comment on the Giveaway blog. I would never slight my Aussie readers! I had a lovely hour and a half phone conversation via Skype with my Australian Fan Club last month. Since I'll never get my publisher to send me Down Under on a book tour, we're working on a plan for me to come over on my own. BTW, Lionheart will be published in Australia and New Zealand in November, so you won't have to wait as long as my British readers; in the UK, Lionheart is not being published till March.

message 32: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar Thanks Sharon :-). If you do manage to get to Oz please, please come to Adelaide so I can get to see you!

message 33: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (rockstarninja) Sharon wrote: "If you get it now, Melissa, it has to be an ARC, for the book is not available yet."

Thanks for the info, I was kind of hoping it would be a finished copy, as I doubt the readers questions will be in the ARC. Although if they are, it will be a pleasant surprise, I might be the only one, but I always read your Authors Note and the readers club questions before I start the books.

message 34: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonk) | 59 comments I don't know if Lionheart will have a set of Book Club questions, Melissa. No one has approached me about that so far, although there is time. It will not have the map either, but it will have the cast of characters, the Acknowledgments which includes my first ever bibliography, the Afterward, and my longest ever AN, which is 11 pages long!

message 35: by Iset (new)

Iset I feel like everyone won except me, and being in the UK I'll have to wait longer than anyone else for the release! I can hardly contain my excitement, but at the same time I'm going nuts listening to everyone else get one and knowing that I'll have to wait so very long to get my hands on one.

message 36: by Brenna (new)

Brenna (bwelker) | 1 comments Beth-

Try ordering from bookdepository. I use to buy books only available in the U.K and I'm assuming you can do it the other way. That way you don't have to wait the extra 6 months!

message 37: by Owen (new)

Owen (RoxiesGrandad) | 24 comments Abe books are excellent for books not available in the UK

message 38: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar Brenna wrote: "Beth-

Try ordering from bookdepository. I use to buy books only available in the U.K and I'm assuming you can do it the other way. That way you don't have to wait the extra 6 months!"

And they have free shipping worldwide which helps the budget!

message 39: by Iset (new)

Iset Jemidar wrote: "Brenna wrote: "Beth-

Try ordering from bookdepository. I use to buy books only available in the U.K and I'm assuming you can do it the other way. That way you don't have to wait the extra 6 months..."

Phew, thanks for tips everyone! ;) I'll try my luck on Sharon's giveaway first though - would be nice to get my hands on an early copy!

message 40: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonk) | 59 comments It won't be an early copy, though, Beth. It is very likely that I wouldn't be able to do the giveaway until after my book tour for Lionheart in early October, depending upon when I get my own copies and how much time I have. I checked Book Depository and they do have Lionheart for pre-ordering. This is a great site; I've been meaning to check it out for ages. I think I'll try it instead of ordering books from Amazon.com.uk, which often have hefty mailing costs.
BTW, Beth has put up a beyond-wonderful review of Saints on Goodreads. It is so good and so eloquent that I will probably have to start denying rumors that we are long-lost cousins!

message 41: by Iset (new)

Iset In that case I guess I will wait. The suspense is almost more than I can bear!

message 42: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanconder) | 9 comments Is Lionheart considered a companion/continuation of the Eleanor of Aquitaine series, or is it a stand-alone? I've just finished When Christ and His Saints Slept and was wondering if I should finish the trilogy before reading Lionheart.

message 43: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonk) | 59 comments It is a continuation of the series, Susan, although I always try to make any of my books possible to read as a stand-alone. It would be more meaningful, though, if you read the other books in the series, Time and Chance, and especially Devil's Brood, before reading Lionheart. I'd thought to end the Angevin series with Devil's Brood, but they had other ideas.

message 44: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (rockstarninja) Wow, the publisher does not mess around, I wasn't expecting to receive my copy for another couple weeks.
Totally excited!!!

message 45: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanconder) | 9 comments Thanks, Sharon. I've just started Time and Chance, and I'm enjoying being back in the company of Henry and Eleanor.

message 46: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (mbk1857) Well, since today is my birthday, I treated myself to Lionheart, The Sunne in Splendour and Here be Dragons plus one other by Roberta Gellis. All Kindle editions, of course, since I'm no longer able to handle books that weigh like bricks. I love being able to settle myself down to a deep historical novel and with winter coming on, I may not emerge for quite a while. On the other hand, I do live in Southern California! :)

message 47: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 251 comments Happy reading, you got yourself some of the best.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 79 comments Love reading long books (which I am addicted to) on the Kindle - so much easier on the wrists!

message 49: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonk) | 59 comments Happy belated birthday, Marilyn. I hope you enjoy my books. I like Roberta Gellis's books very much, esp. the mystery series she did in recent years.

message 50: by Laura (last edited Oct 24, 2011 01:03AM) (new)

Laura | 1 comments Hi,Sharon- Are you still doing the book tour for "Lionheart?" I was so happy that I was able to meet you when you came to Az two weeks ago. :) And Happy Birthday,Marilyn! (Belatedly.) You made excellent choices & I'm sure you'll LOVE SKP's books!!Happy Reading!!:)

« previous 1