American Gods: All Gaiman, All The Time discussion

HBO To Make a American Gods Show

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eilish (new)

Eilish | 1 comments So HBO is going to be making an "American Gods" show (they are saying six seasons) as a result of this Neil is going to be writing a sequel.

What do you think?
Will the show be any where as good as the book?

Personally I'm more excited for a sequel than the show because i know it can't live up to the book for me.

Just wondering what everyone else thinks of this.

message 2: by T.L. (new)

T.L. | 6 comments Since Neil is going to be involved, yes I'm excited.
I'm also excited because we'll get to see another of Neil's worlds brought to life. Do I expect the TV series to stay 100% faithful to the book? No. I plan on enjoying it for what it is, and have no expectations that it will include every period and comma of the book.
I think 6 seasons will give them a lot of time to explore and expand, and that's ok. I can always pick up American Gods and curl up with Neil anytime I want to. :) Since it's HBO that has it, I think they'll do right by it.
As for a sequel to the novel, oh hell yes, I'm excited. Then again, I'd be excited if Neil published his grocery list. :D

message 3: by Qendi (new)

Qendi | 1 comments As long as it's HBO producing I'm ok with it. They make really good TV Shows (The Sopranos, Rome, Game for the Throne) so I'm looking forward to it :)

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne Petty (annep) | 1 comments Yes, I'm hopeful about HBO making the series, especially with the way they handled GOT. If Starz had it, I'd be a little worried, but I think HBO will treat the story right, or right enough for us not to hate it!

message 5: by T.L. (new)

T.L. | 6 comments Let's put it this way. American Gods on HBO is a good reason to hang on to cable in this house!

message 6: by Molly (new)

Molly Lovelady (penguintraveler) | 15 comments Hopefully it won't end up like the horrible, horrible BBC version of Neverwhere...HBO sounds promising though! It should be a movie though and not a running tv show so in light of that I'm sure it will suck :-/

message 7: by Molly (new)

Molly Lovelady (penguintraveler) | 15 comments Tracey wrote: "As for a sequel to the novel, oh hell yes, I'm excited. Then again, I'd be excited if Neil published his grocery list..."

AHAHAHAHAHAH grocery list...

message 8: by T.L. (new)

T.L. | 6 comments You know this to be true. *lol*

message 9: by Maya (new)

Maya Panika It sounds intriguing and I'm looking forward to it; Neil is involved from the start and I think a TV show could be the best place to take the concept and characters to new and original places. I'm pretty excited, actually.

Incidentally, the BBC Neverwhere wasn't taken from the book, the book was a novelisation of the TV show, which Neil wrote.

message 10: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (joshsmacdougall) | 3 comments I believe he has said in his blog or a press release that the sequel to American Gods would entail some of the new gods that were good that had to be left out of the first book. I am pretty excited for that.

message 11: by Crystiannia (new)

Crystiannia | 1 comments Finally a reason to spring for something more than basic cable!

My only concerns are with the casting. I've heard some pretty crazy suggestions for some of the characters, especially Shadow. As much as I love the book, I can't really think of anyone I'd cast in it. Hopefully Neil will be involved in the selection process.

message 12: by Molly (new)

Molly Lovelady (penguintraveler) | 15 comments HBO having a huge budget should help...however the fact that Neil Gaiman is going to be working on it doesn't mean that it's going to be good (see the BBC version of Neverwhere)...but if it produces more books by that genius man then I say DO IT!