The Sword and Laser discussion

George R.R. Martin Threads > Dance with Dragons accidentally ships early

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (last edited Jul 05, 2011 03:32AM) (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments An amazon employee has accidentally shipped over 100 copies of A Dance with Dragons early.
Martin, not impressed, threatened to put his head on a spike
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/...

(Speaking as someone who has fucked up on the job occasionally I'd like to tell him to chillax)

Spoilers are now out in the wild. So I'll be browsing the internet very carefully for the next week. I'm not much of a spoiler hound but I'm planning on reading A Dance with Dragons of an 8 hour flight to Chicago and I'll be annoyed if it's ruined for me.

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 838 comments That actually explains why a facebook friended posted something about receiving Dance with Dragons. I had been confused about that.

While I get that this is some screw-up, I would also tell GRRM to relax. I mean, yeah, it's not good, but how bad is it actually? It's just a book shipped two weeks early after the fans have had to wait for years.

I also don't get the whole spoiler thing really. If my reading speed is slower than other people's, or I have to work full-time and someone else happens to have a week off to relax, it's likely that people will finish earlier than others. So spoilers can also be out there even for those who got the book on July 12th and just read slower.

I would say that it's up to the readership being considerate enough to hold back with spoilers and not the problem of 180 books being shipped early.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Anne wrote: "So spoilers can also be out there even for those who got the book on July 12th and just read slower."

I agree, but there's a difference between knowing you have to be careful to avoid spoilers because the books out, and stumbling across them when you think you're safe cos the books not out yet.
Though in any case, it's not the end of the world.

message 4: by Nicolai (new)

Nicolai (nemoi) | 47 comments Having read the first four books without browsing about them in the net and being truly surprised by a lot of turn of events, I also want to read ADWD unspoilered. But the best protection is just avoiding the sites where I could be spoiled for a week, which is not so hard.

Btw, only one week left :)

message 5: by Andreas (last edited Jul 05, 2011 11:16AM) (new)

Andreas Siegel (sulu22) | 4 comments Hi.

Cant find ADWD in Audible.
Does someone know when it should be available?

message 6: by David (new)

David Mitchell (damitchell1985) | 5 comments Andreas wrote: "Hi.

Cant find ADWD in Audible.
Does someone know when it should be available?"

i guess the amazon employee doesnt work for audible too...

message 7: by Don (new)

Don (dethblooms) | 13 comments If you look in the "Coming Soon" section of Audible it lists ADWD as available July 12. Cant wait...

message 8: by Andreas (new)

Andreas Siegel (sulu22) | 4 comments July 12, ... seems not to be far off.
Hopefully it is also available in Austria since i just recently found out that all Dresden books up from book 4 are not available in my home country.
That sucks!

message 9: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments I'm hoping my Kindle sprouts wings.

message 10: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2501 comments Sounds like par for the course, not just Amazon. I pre-ordered an audio book that was supposed to be released on July 19th and received it on the 8th. That was from Borders online not Amazon.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Andrew wrote: "Sounds like par for the course, not just Amazon. I pre-ordered an audio book that was supposed to be released on July 19th and received it on the 8th. That was from Borders online not Amazon."

Indeed, it happens a lot, but usually no one makes a fuss unless it's high profile.

message 12: by Tina (new)

Tina (javabird) | 710 comments The poor Amazon employee might have just been trying to make sure the shipment was delivered on time.

Interesting how people managed to keep secret the ending of The Sixth Sense and also a certain character's demise in the Harry Potter books.

message 13: by Colin (new)

Colin | 278 comments Yeah, i still can't believe Dobby is dead. :(

message 14: by Been (new)

Been | 125 comments Weren't the Harry Potter character deaths plastered all over the internet for the last 2 books? The big spoiler about book 6 practically became a meme for some time afterwards.

message 15: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 838 comments Been wrote: "Weren't the Harry Potter character deaths plastered all over the internet for the last 2 books? The big spoiler about book 6 practically became a meme for some time afterwards."

I was accidentally spoiled for book 5 and avoided all news about the later books at all costs. This included having the books pre-ordered and basically staying in bed all weekend reading it cover to cover in a single session.