Irish Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
NOMINATIONS > QBR Aug - Oct Nominations

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Start nominating for our next quarterly read ( Aug, Sept & Oct).

The only rules are it must be an Irish author or have and Irish theme.

Nominations close Thursday 14th July.

Iuliana Naughton | 26 comments I'd like to read Bullfighting Stories by Roddy Doyle .

message 3: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Bookworm wrote: "I've wanted to read this for ages so I would like to nominate Skippy Dies"

Yeah, I'll second that, was thinking about nominating it myself. :)

message 4: by Arielle (new)

Arielle (sabinasan) I would like to nominate 1916: A Novel of the Irish Rebellion. I haven't read it yet, but I heard it's very good.

message 5: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I would like to nominate Trinity by Leon Uris. It's one of the best historical fiction books I've read about the history of the Irish people and their fight for independence.

message 6: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Oh, I have one to nominate! I thought it was excellent although obviously given the subject rather dark. It certainly lodged itself into my memory: Bad Day in Blackrock.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurabagby) I'd like to nominate Confessions of a Catholic Copby Thomas Fitzsimmons. He is a new, Irish author and former NYPD officer. Great crime/thriller and very afforable ebook!

message 8: by Naoise (new)

Naoise Nickolay (fengshuidiva) Cabbage and Bones: An Anthology of Irish-American Women's Fiction

I've just started this and I'd thought it might be a good pick

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul (taytothief) Oooh I'll have to think about this one. I think the nominations should be only Irish writers though. That's what I thought this was set up as and was my main issue before the Irish reads was set-up. Although, I'm hard pressed to find someone writing a book involving Ireland who isn't Irish but meh. Just had to say it.

Is it restricted to one nomination per person?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

@ Laura - I can't find out any info about Thomas Fitzsimmons. Is he Irish as if he is not then it doesn't fit the criteria and wont be included in the nominations.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

@ Laura - I’ve done a bit of research and from what I can see Thomas Fitzsimmons was not born in Ireland and has never lived in Ireland. Sorry this book does not meet with the criteria you can always nominate if for the August read.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris Naoise's book has my vote for sure but just to throw something into the mix.

Ireland by Frank Delaney

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/90...

I read it a little while ago and it was phenomenal. The best Irish book I've ever read by far and I would be down for reading it again. Trying to get psyched up for my History of Ireland in the British Empire class in the fall.

message 13: by Naoise (new)

Naoise Nickolay (fengshuidiva) Chris I loved that book too!!
It's been a while since I read it and could read it again
Cabage and Bones is making me laugh and melancholy it is a great collection of stories.

message 14: by Arielle (new)

Arielle (sabinasan) Chris wrote: "Naoise's book has my vote for sure but just to throw something into the mix.

Ireland by Frank Delaney

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/90...

I read it a little while ago and it was phe..."

This is on my to-read list as well! :)

message 15: by Picoroco (new)

Picoroco | 7 comments I'd like to suggest a book of poetry for a change, a collection from one of our greatest poets, Patrick Kavanagh. Just picked up Collected Poems (Norton Library again (although mine is a battered Penguin edition) and I thought that anyone who could write the line "I find a star-lovely art/ In a dark sod" worth a discussion.

message 16: by Joanna (last edited Jul 08, 2011 02:41PM) (new)

Joanna Picoroco wrote: "I'd like to suggest a book of poetry for a change, a collection from one of our greatest poets, Patrick Kavanagh. Just picked up Collected Poems (Norton Library again (although mine i..."

I love the idea! You've my vote and I hope there'll be more people willing to give poetry a go! It's also a perfect quarterly read, at least for me - I find I rarely pick up a volume of poetry and read it start to finish in a couple of days. I'm more likely to keep it by my bed and read a poem every so often over longer period of time. And so much potential for discussion. I really hope this will win! I know I said I'd vote for Skippy Dies but I just think it would be very interesting to have a poetry read.

message 17: by Picoroco (new)

Picoroco | 7 comments Thanks Joanna. For those unused to poetry I think that Kavanagh is a great place to start. He is funny, wise and his verse is beautifully constructed. Anyone familiar with the song, Raglan Road, will already know a bit of his work.

message 18: by Terri (last edited Jul 11, 2011 10:22AM) (new)

Terri Bookworm wrote: "I've wanted to read this for ages so I would like to nominate Skippy Dies"

I'll throw in with the "Skippy Dies" votes.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.