Book Haven discussion

Dead Discussions > Madame Tussaud

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
Cara Rios won and picked Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution as our 3rd group read for July.
This isn't the type of book I usually read. So, if you are interested in it, please help to keep up the discussion and I will be grateful! :)

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 199 comments Oooh, I read this too. :) Very interesting and a different way to peer into the French Revolution.

message 3: by Nita (new)

Nita (nitacheetah) This book was a great read - the French Revolution was such a disturbing and bloody time, and I had no idea about Mme. Tussaud's involvement!

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 8 comments I won an advanced copy of Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution through Goodreads' First Reads' giveaways. I thought it was great. I read it a few months ago, so I don't remember specific details, but I'd love to participate in a discussion on this book.

I definitely learned a lot about the French Revolution by reading this book. And I can say, it was definitely a VERY disturbing and bloody time.

There are some specific details that I would bring up, but I don't want to post anything that might be a spoiler for those who haven't read it yet.

message 5: by Janet (new)

Janet | 45 comments I really enjoyed Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution. I also read Sabatini's classic French Revolution novel Scaramouche recently, and it was interesting to compare the two.

What do you all think that Moran's novel added to how you perceive the French Revolution that you hadn't seen elsewhere?

For me, it was interesting to see a 'middle class' perspective, from a pov different from the nobility (Scarlet Pimpernel) or the starving (Les Miserables). I'd heard how the king was weak, the queen was hated and Marat and Robspierre were odious before, but the balance working people had to strike to placate all sides was new to me. I also hadn't heard much about the lying, purple prose and deliberate staging of events on the part of revolutionaries. I hadn't seen that sympathetic a take on the royal family before, or heard the details of how jealously guarded privileges like taking the candles from the palace were. What struck you as new?