The Aussie Swap discussion

Random Conversations > Book Depository

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kylie1403) So I recieved a news update from Australia (dude I miss you guys sooo much) and I read that Amazon has bout my beloved Book depositpory.

So is it just me, or is anyone else afraid we will be having to pay outragious amounts for shipping?? and if so this totally blows!!!

message 2: by Cass - (new)

Cass -  Words on Paper (casswordsonpaper) | 144 comments There was some *heated debate* about it on Twitter. Thanks to some "little birds", it appears as though FREE SHIPPING will not be affected. I'm worried about the 10% discount specials and stuff like that though. The Paypal question doesn't affect me so much anymore since I got my VISA card, but I've never bought from Amazon before.

But bottom line is, it seems that free shipping is here to stay!

message 3: by Braiden (new)

Braiden | 333 comments Last year I bought a few packages from Amazon and they took at least 3 weeks to arrive. Book Depository is from one or two weeks which is why I do book depository more in addition to the free shipping.

Paypal I use because my details are already there when I’m not on my book depo account or else I’d have to type in my visa card details again and address. It’s saved on my account so it’s no biggie that way.

message 4: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kylie1403) SWEET for free shipping! booo if paypal is an issue but i doubt ut

Seee this is why i miss home! at home im on the BALL with twitter news! lol! but i do love it here (today im off to the beach)

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (lisao_0) Me and Lisa had a meltdown on twitter last night about it...we thought that the apocalypse have finally arrived, we were going to save every cent to go towards shipping, hehe :P

Paypal is not an issue for me either, I use my visa :)

message 6: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kylie1403) I has mastercard! same deal right??

message 7: by Saskia (new)

Saskia (deckled_pages) | 310 comments Yep, I use Mastercard ... I'm assuming it will be fine.

message 8: by hollyishere (new)

hollyishere | 166 comments I hope nothing changes about The Book Depository but if it does, I'll always have Booko to tell me where to buy the cheapest edition of my wish list books!

message 9: by Joy (new)

Joy | 13 comments ahhh! Surely if they made changes on the Book Depository it wouldn't be as valuable, I bet half the reason it has sooo much success is the free shipping!

I buy ALL of my books off there, I love it!

message 10: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kylie1403) Man oh man, that website is my love child haha

message 11: by Braiden (new)

Braiden | 333 comments The other day they had a glitch with the prices....and I kind of abused it buying a lot of Adult Fantasy books I’ve wanted for like $8-9 when they were really $15+ lol

message 12: by Nomes (last edited Jul 23, 2011 01:59AM) (new)

Nomes (nomesr) | 48 comments oh my gosh braiden!

same thing happened to me and i was excited, BUT

{...}

put the book in the basket, gathered one more book and by the time i went back to the checkout (about 90seconds) they had some message saying: error. there has been a price increase since placing the book. please reload the page for the price update O.o

argh. went from $9 to $16 (!) was very miffed :/

(but congrats on your bargains. such a good feeling!)

message 13: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kylie1403) Ive got some great bargains as of late!!! its been awesome! As long as i pay less then $20 for the book, im happy LOL

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (lisao_0) Haha Braiden, good for you!

Is it just me or is the shipping really slow? I ordered a book on the 4th of July and it hasn't arrived yet.... :/

message 15: by Nomes (new)

Nomes (nomesr) | 48 comments it always pretty much takes 3 weeks to get to me. i had one dispatched in late june and it still hasn't arrived :/

painful ...

hope it gets there soon!

(plus, i have ordered before and they have taken, like, 5 or 6 days, to even mark the book as dispatched)

message 16: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kylie1403) Lisa, I seem to have no probs with shipping... usually takes 2 weeks max... once i had to wiat a month i emailed em and they offered me a refund or to send it again

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (lisao_0) I'm going to wait another week I think, it's only been a little more than two weeks :P

message 18: by Nomes (new)

Nomes (nomesr) | 48 comments the longest i have waited for a book to arrive is 7 weeks. and a few have taken 5 - 6 weeks. i have no idea why :/

have never had a book not turn up though

message 19: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kylie1403) I've missed GR convos hehehe!

So I came home today to find my desk covered with packages... soooo many pretty books were waiting for me

message 20: by hollyishere (new)

hollyishere | 166 comments They always seem to take a really long time to deliver to me as well but it's worth it for the extremely cheap prices.

message 21: by Braiden (new)

Braiden | 333 comments It takes at max 2 weeks to get to me.

message 22: by Braiden (new)

Braiden | 333 comments And I can’t wait to share the amount of Adult Fantasy books I ended up purchasing haha.

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (lisao_0) I can't wait to see your books! And, they usually took no longer than two weeks but a few weeks back I had a few packages get to me in three weeks so I'll see, *hopefully* they arrive tomorrow :P

message 24: by Joy (new)

Joy | 13 comments Mine are usually 3 weeks, which is good, once it gets a bit too long I would contact them because i'm sure i read somewhere that they will send another but if it gets after 6 weeks (maybe not sure of the exact time frame) they wont.

message 25: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 9 comments whoa...I ordered a book from the book depository on 18th June, and i still haven't received it! It always takes so long for books to be delivered to me.

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mskoa) | 1 comments i've ordered books from BD before and they have always arrived very quickly. I ordered 3 books on the 5/07 and got them on the 14/07. Never had a problem with delivery... they are my new best friend, not my bank accounts though!

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mssammydean) | 50 comments *nods* I usually get my books in a week. Two weeks maximum if there's bad weekends involved!

message 28: by Joy (new)

Joy | 13 comments I don't really mind the wait anyway since i'm getting it for so cheap!

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (lisao_0) I got my copy of The DUFF on Manday *phew* I thought it would never arrive! It ususally takes two weeks so I'll see when Hourglass and A Need So Beautiful arrive ;)

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mssammydean) | 50 comments :O I want to read The DUFF and Hourglass so badly! ANSB was great :)

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (lisao_0) hehe Manday :P Monday* Lisa2, I have an extra copy of The DUFF ( Swap?), it's kinda of a funny story but my fairy bookmother sent me an ARC of The DUFF and Shut Out, the same day as my copy of The DUFF came from Book Depo. I guess I'm not the only who got sick of listening to me whine about wanting a copy :P

BTW I finsihed it last night, so good! I can't wait to dig into Shut Out :P

message 32: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mssammydean) | 50 comments *private messages you* Eeeeee!

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (lisao_0) Liar. I just checked you didn't :/ *deflates*

message 34: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mssammydean) | 50 comments I sent THIS message before the PM, you dolt! Besides, I ditched the message for a cup of tea first :P

message 35: by Braiden (new)

Braiden | 333 comments By the way guys, I think BD should really improve their packaging. Those cardboard boxes are rough and hurt the books a lot.

message 36: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kylie1403) Agreed!
that reminds me i need to email them

message 37: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mssammydean) | 50 comments My cover of Possession came damaged on the corner. Got half of it refunded. It wasn't too bad but..still.

You guys should totally complain haha. It'll be a mass build up and they'll have to change :P I used to get them in the white padded bags....

message 38: by Braiden (new)

Braiden | 333 comments Yeah same Lisa. I think it was smaller paperbacks were in those white padded ones.

message 39: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kylie1403) I emailed yesterday and got given a full refund and i suggested that for aust shipments we get more padding as everyone i talk to seems to be getting damaged books
lol

message 40: by Saskia (new)

Saskia (deckled_pages) | 310 comments Lisa, I totally want a fairy bookmother... *dreams*

I get all mine in the white padded bags...

message 41: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kylie1403) luckyyyyyyyyyyy!

message 42: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mssammydean) | 50 comments @Kylie How much damage was done to your book?

I'm suck of these brown boxes!! The ones sent buy Aussie publishers are fine but the TBD ones suck.

message 43: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kylie1403) It was a buffy Graphic novel and the spine at the bottom was all bent and evil looking... the whole set i have is PERFECT but this one is all wonky like its been dropped on the bottom spine corner of the book

message 44: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mssammydean) | 50 comments It's funny. I'm ordering from TBD as we speak. $130 order! $100 is for a friend but..still. Fingers crossed there's no damage.

message 45: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kylie1403) *crosses fingers for you*

message 46: by Braiden (new)

Braiden | 333 comments I think depending how tightly sealed/packaged the book is in the box, determines whether it’s going to be damaged or not. Like for example this morning I got this think fantasy book in the cardboard and it was thick as but very tight.

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mssammydean) | 50 comments The reason why Possession got damaged was because it was packaged with 3 other books. They probably didn't align them properly before shipment too.

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (lisao_0) they send white padded packages? I only get the borwn boxes and sometimes the toughpaks...I've never had a book arrive in terrible condition though :/

@Sas, my fairy bookmother sends me books all the way from the US that I feel bad, I think I'm going to go buy her a copy of Winter's Shadow ( Aussie and paranormal, what's not to like?) and send it back to her....

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mssammydean) | 50 comments Haha I don't know if they still do but yeah, I used to get them! What does your fairy bookmother actually do for you, by the way? Advanced copies or just any books? :P

message 50: by Cass - (new)

Cass -  Words on Paper (casswordsonpaper) | 144 comments Wow there's been a lot of talk since I last visited. And it's been like a month since the last post. :P

This sunday it'll be a month since my last IMM share. I broke my buying ban . . . again! Can't resist the bargains hey.

@Lisa: Don't think they use the padded packages anymore. Ever since the swap to the boxes the conditions have gotten considerably worse. Whenever I get a slightly mangled copy I have to remind myself that I got it for cheap.

Delivery usually only takes 10-16 days for me.

« previous 1