Harry Potter discussion

Characters > do u like cho chang?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anj_bookster (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:03PM) (new)

Anj_bookster alcala | 22 comments well basing on the 5th movie.. i dnt seem to like her because she betrayed the DA by telling umbridge the whereabouts of the army. that really irritated me. and the kissing scene..im so *jealous, i wish that was me! hahaha!!! i think ill do better than her (in my dreams)..heheh.. peaz to all cho chang fanatics...

message 2: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:03PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I agree with you Anj. But didn't the directors leave out scenes that emphasize Harry and Cho's relationship? Or is there empahsis on their relationship in the 6th book?

message 3: by Steph (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

Steph (kitsune_chan) | 47 comments I personally don't like Cho Chang, because in the movie version she betrays the DA, even if under the truth serum (she should've figured that out if she is in Raveclaw!) and in the fifth book, her friend, Marietta I believe her name was, snitched on the DA on purpose and Cho defended her!

message 4: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

Tara (tara_n) | 83 comments I'm also not a big Cho Chang fan. I didn't like her from the first time she was introduced and honestly, I can't really explain why. I just didn't. I just could never understand why Harry liked her so much in Book 4, maybe I was just secretly cheering for Ginny anyway.

message 5: by Amy Marie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

Amy Marie (amy_marie97) | 26 comments Ehh...she's just kinda...there. A character to give the story a different type of depth. She is not essential to the plot, though she does create an interesting character.
It think your right Tara, we all wanted Harry to get with Ginny, so we neglected to hope for Cho.

She's okay, but I wouldn't have been heartbroken if she died.

Okay, yeah I would've. I hated it when any good guy died. (Sobbed...pretty much)

message 6: by Anj_bookster (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

Anj_bookster alcala | 22 comments to ashley..

there wasn't actually..harry's starting to have feelings for ginny in the 6th book. didn't ginny told harry how she felt on the 6th book? i seem to forget..heheh.. back on the 5th movie..i think the only scene that emphasized their relationship was during the kissing scene at the room of requirement isnt it?

message 7: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:05PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments cho is not a loss for me, too. i think she was just thinking of herself getting all confused when cedric died and turned to harry knowing he likes her. but as soon as she dumped harry didn't she start dating other guys? that just tells me how shallow her feeling was for harry. and no one messes with the guy i'm rooting for in the series!

message 8: by kristel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:05PM) (new)

kristel ting | 17 comments honestly, i kinda like her in hp4. but eventually, i dont. she just used harry to forget cedris, what a slut! harry is the main cast! well, her part there is good. at least harry didn't have only one girl...unlike ginny who have plenty,,^_^

message 9: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I think Cho Chang was just there so Harry could have a little crush. I really don't think Cho was a very interesting charactor. Maybe if we had learned about her more then she would have been more interesting. I hated the whole thing with Cho in the movie! Urgh!
Maybe J.K. Rowling did have more on her, but the editors made her cut it out. Sad thought.
I also think that it might have been more interesting if Harry and her never really got together. I mean, how many people get to kiss their very first crush any way? It might have been better if they liked each other from afar.

message 10: by Cathy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Cathy | 50 comments I REALLY like Cho. I think she was absolutely adorable in the book; and the actress that plays her in the movies is just gorgeous with the cutest accent. She was a wonderful addition to the books, because she liked Harry, and Harry liked her, but she was Cedric's date (and assumed girlfriend). The closeness that Harry developed with Cedric conflicted with his feelings for Cho. And Cho's grief over losing Cedric made her unable to really relate to Harry. A tough spot. She is a wonderful character and added immensely to Harry's maturing and characterization.

message 11: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Tara (tara_n) | 83 comments Well, I can say that I like Cho better than LeFluer. I can't remember her first name. I could not stand her, in the books or in the movie! Actually, I think I liked her more in the movie HP4 than in any of the books. Having to read her cutesy dialogue made my brain vomit out my eye sockets! Whenever I would read LeFleur's character, I pictured Paris Hilton with a bad French accent! Not a great mental image!

I do agree with Cathy about the actress that plays Cho. She's really adorable, actually, and a very pretty girl with fabulously beautiful eyes. I didn't picture Cho quite that pretty when I read the books. So, that was a nice upgrade to me. But. . .I'm still not a fan :(.

message 12: by Tracey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Tracey Fleur Delacouer (sp?) is the other character, and i truly couldn't stand her until the part where she & Molly finally connected (while Bill was in the hospital).

but getting back to Cho...i really couldn't get into her character in the books or in the GOF movie (haven't seen OOP yet). i'm not sure why, but i just wasn't connecting with any part of her, even as she was grieving the loss of Cedric.

message 13: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Tara (tara_n) | 83 comments Fleur -- boy I really butchered her name didn't I? Yeah, couldn't stand her.

I agree Tracey, I think it was hard to connect with Cho, at least in the movies. I just didn't see her as being quite as important to the overall picture, as some of the other characters. I saw her as a distraction, which could be a good thing depending on the direction you're looking in. Cho was a good way to introduce Harry's raging hormones, but she's just a stepping stone, I guess.

message 14: by Scott (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Scott (ScottAK) | 4 comments No, they break up at the end of the 5th book, and I agree with you that they left out some serious stuff in that relationship in the 5th movie

message 15: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments i guess jk used cho chang to show us that harry was never interested in hermione even when his teenage hormones were raging. but she also showed us cho chang is not worth harry's attention. ginny was the girl since the very beginning. ^_~

message 16: by Tor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

Tor | 8 comments I didn't like her in the book or movie. She was only using Harry to find out more about her dead BF. And she was REALLY annoying. Ginny is way better with her kick-but attitude.

message 17: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

Ashley (samuraigurl91) | 106 comments so am i the only one who likes cho here? Lol! well i liked cho in the movie, then when they had auditions i hated katie leung so much [probably because i was jealous she got the part cause i think that i could probably get the part anyway if i was there] well after the was released i got to like her and i was actually really happy when cho and harry kissed in the book but i was kinda sad when they broke. but during the 6th book i cheered for ginny too so i guess both characters are equal. haha. but i think ginny suits harry more cause its like they're meant to be together i guess. Lol.

oh and i loved it when ginny got jealous and reacted when cho wanted to show harry ravenclaw's statue. haha.

message 18: by kristel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

kristel ting | 17 comments i admit it, i liked her in movie 4. but eventually, (esp on 5), i started to hate her. i dislike her, period.

message 19: by Kenzie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Kenzie Not to burst your bubble or anything Anj but, Marietta, Cho's friend, not Cho, told the whereabouts of the DA to Umbridge.

She is absolutely horrible to Harry after a while. She just wanted the attention of Harry. Too jealous for my liking. Remember in the fifth book, when Harry wanted to talk to that reporter, she was against it because they would see Hermione.

message 20: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments well, actually, Cho didn't know that Harry was going to talk to a reporter. She just thought that Harry was meeting, or dating Hermione right after her date with Harry.

message 21: by Kenzie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:52PM) (new)

Kenzie True, but she was especially jealous of him going to see Hermione.

She cried way to much for my liking. Get a grip, he died, get over it.

message 22: by Tess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:52PM) (new)

Tess | 134 comments i dont like her much...she is too much of a sob story.
yeah, get over it.

message 23: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments obviously mckenzie and tess have never delt with someone you loved dieing, because if you had you would not have told anyone to just get over it. I have watched someone die and I have been a friend to another and what you said was so insensitive. It almost made me cry agian because of the deaths I have dealt with. If you could only inderstand the horrible feelings, even when you aren't responsible, of servivers guilt! You sob nonstop for days until you have nothing left to let out. Then you cry later, almost everyday. I must tell you this because Cho had to deel with it and anyone who has never experienced this can not tell any one to just get over death.

message 24: by Tess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Tess | 134 comments I have dealt with people dieing. But really. She is all tears. He was only a boyfriend. It's not like they were that close. I really do feel sorry for her, it's just she is ALWAYS crying. Nothing else. And she makes Harry feel guilty all the time for not being as sad and not comferting her. I really do feel sorry, and i have experienced the tears.

message 25: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I never said that you haven't experienced tears. Forgive me if I made you upset, but you did to me. Who cares if it was just a boyfriend! Hello! She loved him! I cried for ever when my friends died!

message 26: by Tess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Tess | 134 comments I'm sorry. Just forget what i said. But it just makes me mad how she makes Harry feel guilty.

message 27: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments ok. Well, I don't think she did it on purpose. I don't really like her as a charater either but I still think that I would have been mad if my date told me he was meeting someone else right after me. But I think I would have tried to find out why because if anyone was watching Harry and Hermione together they would know right away that there was nothing like that between them.

message 28: by Tess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Tess | 134 comments Ha, yeah. I am still suprised that Hermione didnt go for Harry. I was hoping she would go for Harry, then realise it was all wrong so Ron would stop worrying.Oh well.

message 29: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I never really thought Harry and Hermione should get together. Just didn't work. (Sorry, way off topic.)

message 30: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (ioanasaunt) | 63 comments Anj_bookster - I think Cho Chang was not the one who told Umbridge about the DA meetings; it was Marietta, her friend. But yeah, I don't like her either. XD

message 31: by Li (new)

Li Potato | 1 comments Okay, I hated Cho Chang. But if you really think about it, who actually got something in Cho's weakness. It was Ginny. If you compare Ginny and Cho, they are both weak, though in different levels. With a weaker character like Cho, you started to like Ginny, right? 'Cause you have someone to hate on, you wouldn't hate Ginny. But what did Ginny do anyway? Book 2: Opened the Chamber of Secrets Book 3: Date a lot of people Book 4: Say "Dean, ur 2 protective, bye" and then kiss Harry. Book 5: Join Dumbledor's army. Book 6: I don't remember anything too important. Book 7: Almost got killed by Bellatrix if hadn't for her loving mother. You see, I think I hate Ginny more than Cho.
There's like 6 reasons to hate Ginny when there's only one or two clear reasons to hate Cho: 1. she's so weak 2. she wasn't sure of her relationship.

message 32: by Vicki (new)

Vicki G (emtp513) | 59 comments Meghan wrote: "obviously mckenzie and tess have never delt with someone you loved dieing, because if you had you would not have told anyone to just get over it. I have watched someone die and I have been a friend..."

That's what people told ME after my husband died in Tower 1 on September 11. Then the same type of people used his death to push political agenda and whatever ELSE they felt like using it for, but by god we needed to be over it in 2 weeks (someone really did tell us that) or we would have been perceived as weak people.
We watched him die too, although not as flagrantly as Harry watched Cedric die. We knew Eric was trapped inside Tower 1 and that there was nothing we could do but watch while it crumbled around him - and later knew he was set on fire.

message 33: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmayyxy) | 105 comments I don't really like her she annoys me sooo much
it feels like I want to go up to her and punch her in the face and she is such a drama queen

message 34: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmayyxy) | 105 comments Adam wrote: "Flat character with no real appeal other than Harry's crush."
but do you like her

message 35: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmayyxy) | 105 comments Steph wrote: "I personally don't like Cho Chang, because in the movie version she betrays the DA, even if under the truth serum (she should've figured that out if she is in Raveclaw!) and in the fifth book, her ..."
yes, I agree

message 36: by Lavanya (new)

Lavanya | 56 comments I didn't like her. She cried too much for my liking, and plus she was getting mad at Harry for no practical reason which got me mad. Like he died but not everyone has to care or talk about it if they don't want to. like come on. Also I didn't like her dating Harry.

message 37: by Camhan (new)

Camhan | 22 comments She probobly got caught and had to tell. I have nothing agenst her

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't hate her necessarily but I also found

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Cho's fine. She was friends with a "traitor" and she did cry a lot, but you can understand her. And yes, she and Harry didn't work out, because of Cho's jealousy and crying over another guy. But in the end, she married a muggle, who probably accepted her for her weepy over-emotional self.

Valerie (Howler_Puff) (goodreadscomvaleriehowler_puff) | 33 comments I didn't mind her. She was a teenage girl whose boyfriend got killed by a dark wizard..I would cry too! I hate how in the movies they made her the traitor.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Valerie wrote: "I didn't mind her. She was a teenage girl whose boyfriend got killed by a dark wizard..I would cry too! I hate how in the movies they made her the traitor."

Me too. Why hate on Cho, she had a tough time?

As Hermione said, she was feeling a lot at the time.

message 42: by Ash (new)

Ash (ashthemagicbookdragon) I was never really a fan, but I don't dislike her as much as I used to.

message 43: by Mattie (new)

Mattie (maitreyeemayhem) | 24 comments Cho Chang isn't one of my favorite characters to be honest. I see why she is important in the story but I have just never cared for her.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Julia wrote: "I like Cho Chang's character alot, so what if she cried alot? I would to if my boyfriend was just killed.

She is not the traitor, they just made it that way in the movie, her FRIEND was the traitor..."

You're right. The movie made her much worse than she really was, having her come in with Malfoy and Umbridge. Probably wanted a bigger reason for her breakup.

message 45: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 1 comments I am a Cho Chang fan and I'm proud of it. If you think crying is a valid reason to hate people the sure you can hat Cho for crying 4 times, but what about Ginny who cried 9 times and Hermione you cried 15 times? And she didn't betray Dumbledore's Army. Her friend did. She is loyal for standing up for her friend after her friend told Umbrigde and she is sweet.

message 46: by purplebookworm (new)

purplebookworm (puplebookworm) No
Lol

message 47: by Matt (new)

Matt Wells | 32 comments I never really thought much of her character. She's sweet, yet sort of whiny. I never get why everyone hated her so much after she told Umbridge about the hideout. Like I know it was wrong, yet she wasn't that tough, so it's understandable.

message 48: by Zinilili (new)

Zinilili | 13 comments I really quite like Cho... She did cry a lot when Cedric died, but that's understandable. Having emotions doesn't make you weak! Hermione cried when Ron left them.

She who must not be named (she_who_must_not_be_named) | 15 comments I think Cho Chang is one of the most misunderstood characters in the series. The movies made her this two dimensional and boring character. The books elaborated a bit more, but still a lot of people don't seem to understand that she had a life of her own. We just don't know a lot about it because she was a year older than our main characters. She's first introduced to us as a Ravenclaw seeker who Harry had a crush on. People seem to concentrate more on the crush part and ignore the awesome Ravenclaw seeker part. In the fourth book, she was nice to Harry and refused to wear one of Malfoy's badges even though a lot of people in the school resented Harry for being chosen as a school champion along with Cedric. She joined the DA against her parent's wishes because she believed that Voldemort was back and, in the 7th book, she came back to fight in the Battle of Hogwarts .
Just like the Fandom has imagined a lot about the marauders and Lily, I like to think that Cedric and Cho were friends and had their own drama going on and a whole will they - won't they thing and then Cedric finally asks her to the ball and they start dating and she's super happy and then BOOM he's dead.She has no hope for closure and idk if I remember right but didn't the book mention that her friends were leaving her because she was so miserable?
Her whole life was was sort of crumbling around her so I guess that's why she cried a lot.
And Marrietta may have been the only one who stayed by her side so maybe that's why Cho stuck up for her even though she was a stupid sneak.
I think she really, really, really liked Cedric. I mean he was a hufflepuff so he must have been a great guy and he was GORGEOUS xD
She came to Harry mostly for comfort and closure because he was actually there when Cedric died but since he was a hormonal kid trying to deal with the whole burden that Voldy was back and few people believed him at that time, he just sat there awkwardly without saying anything comforting.

She who must not be named (she_who_must_not_be_named) | 15 comments Sorry for the long post :P
I just feel she's been judged too harshly.

« previous 1