Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Archived: "Gigi’s Favorite RoM" > Favorite Reads - June 2011

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments So, what was your favorite June read? Don't hesitate to name your worst read as well.

My favorite June read was Lover Mine. I didn't really have a bad read this month.

What about you?

message 2: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jul 04, 2011 11:53PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I read 28 books this month, so I broke them down.

Audiobook: Love in the Afternoon (Hathaway) by Lisa Kleypas , by Lisa Kleypas ★★★★ ½ OD audio 6/30 (“re-read”) - much better the 2nd time round as an audio!! Narrator did a perfect Beatrix.
Chick-lit-ish: Welcome to Harmony (Harmony #1) by Jodi Thomas , by Jodi Thomas ★★★★½ PB 6/1
Classic: A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry , by Lorraine Hansberry ★★★★★ NetLibrary e-book 6/10
Contemporary Romance: Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor, #1) by Jill Shalvis , by Jill Shalvis ★★★★ ½ PB 6/25
Fantasy: A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin , by George R.R. Martin; ★★★★★ PB 6/26
Historical romance: Night in Eden by Candice Proctor , by Candice Proctor ★★★★★ PB 6/8 – one of my best reads this year!!
Humor: Tina Fey's Bossypants (Playaway Adult Nonfiction) by Tina Fey was pretty good, but Go the F**k to Sleep by Adam Mansbach , by Adam Mansbach, narrated by Samuel L. Jackson, ★★★★★ audio.com (listened to on 6/14), was absolutely the funniest. Here is the YouTube link (shows illustrations).
Paranormal romance: One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost , by Jeaniene Frost ★★★★½ audio 6/6
Young Adult: Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore , by Kristin Cashore ★★★★½ HC 6/8
Harlequin: Harlequin Presents Not For Sale (Harlequin Presents) by Sandra Marton , by Sandra Marton ★★★★ ½ PB 6/16 My review.

message 3: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Oh wow! I have Graceling on my TBR. 4.5 stars thats awesome! I'm going to have to read that one. I've heard great things about that Adam Mansbach book. 28 books, thats great Lisa Kay!

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I read 28 books this month, so I broke them down.

Audiobook: Love in the Afternoon (Hathaway) by Lisa Kleypas, by Lisa Kleypas ★★★★ ½ OD audio 6/30 (“re-read”) - much better the 2nd time round as an a..."

You read 28 books?! Good for you! I'm not sure what my favorite read for the month of June is. I'll have to go back over the 4 or 5 that I've read to jog my memory.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Wow Lisa Kay, that's a lot of words. lol
I added a few of your June favs to my TBR list (not that its not long enough already).

I had several really great reads in June. I would have to say:
1. Seers of Light 5 stars. Swoon-Freaking-Tastic!!! Can I put it on everyone's TBR List? Yes? Thanks!
2. Anna and the French Kiss 5 stars. A great YA book! I want St. Clair for my pocket so I can carry him with me always.
3. Truly, Madly and Deeply, Desperately 5 stars each (I really don't give 5 stars out this much, promise). The 3rd in this series is up next on my TBR list .
4. Extreme Exposure 4 1/2 stars. I really thought about skipping this one, so I could read #2 in the I-Team series. So glad I didn't

message 6: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Heather, Seers of Light by Jennifer DeLucy looks interesting. Hum.....

message 7: by Lina (last edited Jul 06, 2011 03:34AM) (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Heather wrote: "I had several really great reads in June. I would have to say:
1. [..."

Heather, I had to see what Seers of Lights was about, and couldn't help myself: I've added it to my TBR :-) And I second the I-Team series, great reads!

And Lisa Kay: I take my hat off to you, my friend, 28 books in one month??!!That's freaking amazing! If that were me, I'd be doing little happy dances around the house... in fact, I think I'll go do one now in your honour! :-)

Gigi - great thread btw!

message 8: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments My favourites this month would have to be:
Contemp. Romance: A Lot Like Love by Julie James and Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas
ChickLit/BookClub:Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult
Histor. Romance: Not Quite A Lady by Loretta Chase and
Paranormal. Romance: Dark Prince: Author's Cut Special Edition by Christine Feehan

All 4 stars except for Sugar Daddy (4 and a 1/2) and Sing You Home (5 stars).

message 9: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Heather wrote: "Wow Lisa Kay, that's a lot of words. lol
I added a few of your June favs to my TBR list (not that its not long enough already).

I had several really great reads in June. I would have to say:
1. [..."

Heather, I just added Seers of Light. As well as Night in Eden and Simply Irresistible (Thanks Lisa Kay!).

CaroB wrote: "Heather wrote: "I had several really great reads in June. I would have to say:
1. [..."

Heather, I had to see what Seers of Lights was about, and couldn't help myself: I've added it to my TBR :-)..."

Thanks CaroB! I love to hear what about which book people loved to read- it always gives me ideas and I add to Mt. TBR! LOL Ex., I just added Not Quite a Lady.

Oh, I really liked Sugar Daddy and anything Julie James!

message 10: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I've been looking at moving a Julie James up on my TBR pile. She looks fun. :o)

message 11: by Gigi, Moderator (last edited Jul 06, 2011 10:10AM) (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Lisa Kay, she is a lot of fun and shes funny! You'll enjoy her.

message 12: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Wow Lisa Kay, way to go, 28 books! I only got through 3 books in June, but I liked them all. They were:

~*~ Fortune's Fool (Five Hundred Kingdoms, #3) by Mercedes Lackey , the third in a series, it was 4 Stars for me, pleasant and entertaining, but not mind-blowingly awesome. I'm reading the fourth one now, The Snow Queen. So far the series has been a good 4 Star throughout.

The other two I read both were 5 Star all the way, L.o.v.e.d:

~*~ The House on Durrow Street by Galen M. Beckett second in a trilogy, the first book was my May fave. Can't love this book enough :)

And the other, which took up the whole last 2 weeks of the month, weighing in at a whopping 1174 pgs was:

~*~ The Stand by Stephen King (although that's not the cover I have) by Stephen King. It was my 3rd time reading that one, so it's a keep-forever, I'll try to save it if my house is on fire kind of favorite.

Hopefully I'll get through a few more books this month. My 2011 challenge meter fell back a lot with The Stand. I was a steady 7 books ahead the last couple months, and now I'm only 4 books ahead, 42/76 :)

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jul 06, 2011 11:23AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I don't know, Kit★. With the page count of those three being so high, you come pretty close! I only had two chunksters and they didn't come close to The Stand.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Kit★ wrote: "Wow Lisa Kay, way to go, 28 books! I only got through 3 books in June, but I liked them all. They were:

~*~Fortune's Fool (Five Hundred Kingdoms, #3) by Mercedes Lackey, the third in a series, it was 4 Stars for me, pleasan..."

I loved The Stand!

message 15: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) I hate to say it, because it's such an easy choice, or maybe an obvious choice, but Smokin' Seventeen.

I had others I liked a lot, but my preference is always for fun/humor (that sort).

If I had to pick a close runner up, I'd say The Skye in June. Really good story!

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Kristi wrote: "I hate to say it, because it's such an easy choice, or maybe an obvious choice, but Smokin' Seventeen..."

I love that series; I have Sizzling Sixteen (Stephanie Plum, #16) by Janet Evanovich lined up for an audio read soon. (I hope!)

message 17: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments I keep meaning to start that series, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Is it one you really have to read chronologically? Or can you jump in anywhere?

message 18: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments CaroB., I don't think you can jump in anywhere. Plus, the first three are a hoot -- start at the beginning. :)

message 19: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Thanks Lisa!

message 20: by Sandra J (last edited Jul 07, 2011 07:32AM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 361 comments I've been in something of a reading slump since the end of May and did a fair amount of rereading in June. However, I really enjoyed When You Dare (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #1) by Lori Foster and Stitch Me Deadly (An Embroidery Mystery, #2) by Amanda Lee in June as new reads.

message 21: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Sandra J wrote: "I've been in something of a reading slump since the end of May and did a fair amount of rereading in June. However, I really enjoyed When You Dare (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #1) by Lori Foster and Stitch Me Deadly (An Embroidery Mystery, #2) by Amanda Lee"

Wooo... those both look good; I have the first one and I love a good mystery. **runs off to check if library has it**

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments CaroB wrote: "I keep meaning to start that series, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Is it one you really have to read chronologically? Or can you jump in anywhere?"

That's 1 in the 10,000 series that I've meaning to start too. I'm definitely getting to it before the movie is released though.

message 23: by Treece (new)

Treece (sapphire_roses) | 18 comments Gigi wrote: "So, what was your favorite June read? Don't hesitate to name your worst read as well.

My favorite June read was Lover Mine. I didn't really have a bad read this month.

What..."

I agree, Gigi! I read Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward

last month. It was the best read. Superb book. The second was a novella Redeeming Zorus (Cyborg Seduction, #6) by Laurann Dohner .

message 24: by Treece (new)

Treece (sapphire_roses) | 18 comments Kit★ wrote: "Wow Lisa Kay, way to go, 28 books! I only got through 3 books in June, but I liked them all. They were:

~*~Fortune's Fool (Five Hundred Kingdoms, #3) by Mercedes Lackey, the third in a series, it was 4 Stars for me, pleasan..."

I'm a big fan of the Mercedes Lackey series One Hundred Kingdoms. The last one I read was

The Sleeping Beauty (Five Hundred Kingdoms, #5) by Mercedes Lackey . It was a combo of the French tale of Sleeping Beauty and Norse legend of Sigfried and Brunhilde with a host of wonderful characters thrown in for good measure.

Her Elemental Masters series is one you should check out--if you haven't done so already. It consists of fairy tales/folk lore but from the elemental magics world. Excellent series. My favorite in this series thus far was Reserved for the Cat (Elemental Masters, #6) by Mercedes Lackey which is a different spin on the Puss in Boots tale.

message 25: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Patrice wrote: "Kit★ wrote: "Wow Lisa Kay, way to go, 28 books! I only got through 3 books in June, but I liked them all. They were:

~*~Fortune's Fool (Five Hundred Kingdoms, #3) by Mercedes Lackey, the third in a series, it was 4 Stars ..."

I've got The Sleeping Beauty to read next :) As for the Elemental series, I read The Wizard of London a couple years ago not knowing it was part of a series, and I liked it. Recently I bought The Fire Rose, so I plan on starting the series in order soon :)

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments This thread has been archived.