What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Green Rider (Green Rider, #1)
This topic is about Green Rider
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Fantasy: cover with girl on horse in forest [s]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Danielle (last edited Sep 17, 2011 08:38PM) (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments I saw this book in my jr. high library several years back, so the latest it was published was 2008. Sadly all I remember is the cover even though I know I did read the desciption for the book. It had a woman probably older teen/ young 20s, she was in a forest and had on a green cloak. She had brown hair and I'm pretty sure she was riding a horse(white) because the picture in my head doesn't look right if she isn't. I think she had a bow and arrow but I am not for certain, if she did she was not useing them. The thing I remember most though is the greenness of the cover; a nice forest green. Most likely YA or Adult Fantasy. The book was slightly on the thick side. Note: more than 3 hundred pages is what I consider as thick. I am more than certain this is not a robin hood retelling. I know this
is bit of a long shot but thanks for any possible help. :)

Edit: a more detailed description of cover. Verdant forest with trees and vegetation. Girl with brown hair and wearing a green cloak sits on a white horse(the color of the horse is a wee bit hazier than other details) It appears as though she has just stopped her horse(which is turned mostly to the front) to look over her right shoulder to see the source of some noise or other disturbence behind her.

Edit: Books that have been suggested so far that are not it.
Nothing by tamora pierce and I doubt anything by mercedes lackey
Not Goblin Wood
Green Rider
The Forestwife
Mists of Avlon
Classic Folktales from Around the World
The Burning Stone
Shadow of the Oak King
Jackaroo
Path of Fate, Path of Honor, Path of Blood

message 2: by Danielle (last edited Jul 04, 2011 08:39PM) (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments The cover is an illustration not a photo but it is done in a way that it almost looks like a photo. I hope that makes sense.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 14 comments You could try these two lists, to start. Sorry if that's not terribly helpful.

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/10...

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/29...

message 4: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (lltoo) | 143 comments Maybe something by Tamora Pierce?

message 5: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments I didn't see it on either of those lists but there are more than likely other lists with the same themes so I will check those later. I will have to put the book on those lists when I find it.

I know it isn't on of hers. I am familiar with all her books and at the time I saw the book I would have remembered if it was a Tamora Pierce book. I think it would go under the same genere as her books though.

Thanks for the help. :)

message 6: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments I looked on other lists but it wasn't on those either. The lists were a good place to start though. :)

message 7: by Valerie (new) - added it

Valerie | 59 comments The Goblin Wood (Goblin Wood, #1) by Hilari Bell ?
There is no horse but it's all I can think of.

message 8: by Eclewis (new)

Eclewis | 7 comments Is it Green Rider by Kristen Britain?

message 9: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments No that's not it but I remember wanting to read it a while back so I think now I will. Thanks for the help! :)

That could be it but I remember the forest not as menceing or threatening. Other than that it fits the criteria. I will keep looking to make sure but I am adding it to my to-read list because it looks interesting. Thanks for the help!

message 10: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments I think the author's last name may have been in the first half of the alphabet. The girl on the horse was turned more toward the front thanto the side. I have been digging in my head for any even possiblely mundane details that may lead to the book's discovery. Thanks for the help so far. :)

Deborah | 179 comments Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series have riders on white horses. You may be thinking of one of them.

message 12: by Mir (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mir | 703 comments Good point, Deborah! Especially the Arrows trilogy:
Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar #1) by Mercedes Lackey

message 13: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments I don't think it is any of her books. The cover I have in my head didn't have any of those background borders. Thanks though. :)

message 14: by Mir (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mir | 703 comments Keep in mind that many books are reissued with different covers.

Could it have been a flying horse? Do you remember if it was a fantasy story or more likely historical fiction?

message 15: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments Thanks. I've been checking for other editions of books that have been mentioned. No it's a normal horse and I'm almost certain it is not historical fiction.

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate (katespofford) | 248 comments This reminds me either of Alanna by Tamora Pierce:
Alanna The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1) by Tamora Pierce
The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3) by Tamora Pierce

or The Forestwife:
The Forestwife (Forestwife Saga 1) by Theresa Tomlinson

or The Mists of Avalon:
The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) by Marion Zimmer Bradley

message 17: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments Thanks but none of those are it.

message 18: by M— (last edited Jul 07, 2011 10:34AM) (new)

M— | 379 comments The cover of this book was the first that came to my mind: Classic Folk Tales from Around the World, but it's a nineties publication, it isn't a novel, and it's very, very thick at 600 pages.

ETA: And there's a female archer on a pale horse on the cover of The Burning Stone, but the background of her isn't very green.

message 19: by Vinofonseca (new)

Vinofonseca | 2 comments Did you look at Kristen Britain's Green Rider?

message 20: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments Those aren't it. I know it wasn't a book of short stories and there wasn't a border around the picture.

The author's name is sort of nudgeing something in the back of my head that makes me think this is the book but all the covers I have seen for it don't match up to the image in my head. I will google the book to see what other images come up for it.

Thanks for the help. :)

message 21: by Augustbaby (last edited Jul 14, 2011 01:04AM) (new)

Augustbaby | 6 comments Perhaps you saw In the Shadow of the Oak King by Courtway Jones? The woman isn't wearing green, but the man in front of her on the horse is. Anyway, this is a great book, an interesting/non-traditional retelling of the Arthurian legend. The characters are memorable. I love it and have re-read it several times.

message 22: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments No that's not it. I don't remember there being a man on the cover. Thanks for the help though. :)

message 23: by J (new)

J (julip) | 57 comments Jackaroo by Cynthia Voight? my copy is at my moms, (the covers I find on-line aren't the same as mine) and I cannot recall what color her horse is on my copy's cover.

message 24: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments From the ones I saw that isn't it. I saw one cover that could have been the one you were talking about, but the info was in german so I doubt that was yours. Thanks for helping. :)

message 25: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 53 comments I was thinking one of Mercedes Lackey's Oathblood books, myself:

Oathbreakers

message 26: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments No that one isn't it. I don't think it it was anything by mercedes lackey.

message 27: by Tonya (new)

Tonya Brooks | 5 comments Have you looked at Path of Fate, Path of Honor, or Path of Blood by Diana Pharoah Francis. I don't think any one particular has all the details you are looking for, but these three were the first books I thought of because of the green and the horse. She wears a green cloak and rides a horse on one of the covers. They are great books, even if they aren't the one you are looking for.

message 28: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments No those aren't it but I might read it some time. Thanks :)

message 29: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments Bump. I'm begining to wish I could go back to my old jr high library and look for the book on the shelves.

message 30: by Valerie (new) - added it

Valerie | 59 comments The Legend of Lady Ilena (Lady Ilena, #1) by Patricia Malone ?
No green sorry but it's worth a shot.

message 31: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments No that's not it, the book was definately green, but thanks anyway. :)

message 32: by Eclewis (new)

Eclewis | 7 comments This is a long shot, but my version of Forest Mage by Magic Hobb has a guy on a horse wearing a green cloak looking at a forest. The character is male, not female, but his back is to the viewer and he has longish hair. Did you pick up the book and read any thing about the plot?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52...

message 33: by Danielle (last edited Aug 16, 2011 06:59PM) (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments No that's not it. I am definately sure it was a girl. Thanks anyways. I did read the back but I only remember the cover.

message 35: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments No none of those. Thanks though.

message 36: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments Bump :)

message 37: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 12 comments Could it be "The Foretelling" by Alice Hoffman. The cover I found on google isn't like the one you are describing but I remember the cover on my copy having a horse on it. My brain may have made the up though.

message 38: by Danielle (last edited Sep 04, 2011 06:58PM) (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments No sadly that's not it either. Thanks for the help. :)
You could have been thinking of one of these two The Foretelling by Alice Hoffman Tochter der Amazone by Alice Hoffman covers.

Michelle the Romance Witch (michelle_the_romance_witch) only thing i can thing of though its not classically a fiction book as much as a reference book with myths in it. Celtic Myth & Magick: Harness the Power of the Gods and Goddesses (Llewellyn's World Religion and Magic Series)

message 40: by Danielle (last edited Sep 07, 2011 03:59PM) (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments No not it. Definately fiction, judgeing from where I found it in the library. Thanks for trying though. :)

message 41: by Sairah (new)

Sairah (sairahb) | 67 comments Could it be anything by Gerald Morris? His covers are done in such a way that they usually look like a kind of photo collage, but they're illustrations. I checked but the ones with women on them don't feature a horse, but the ones with a horse and forest don't feature women. Perhaps you're juxtaposing multiple books? I'd check him out though, just in case. =)

message 42: by Danielle (last edited Sep 12, 2011 02:37PM) (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments Sairah wrote: "Could it be anything by Gerald Morris? His covers are done in such a way that they usually look like a kind of photo collage, but they're illustrations. I checked but the ones with women on them ..."

I don't think I was being very clear in the second comment. It's just has the usual kind of cover most fantasies have minus any kinds of borders that are sometimes added.
Edit: Oh I see what you mean now! But it isn't one of his. Thanks for the help :)

message 43: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (clare-dragonfly) | 55 comments Could it be Tam Lin by Pamela Dean? The horse is not white but the cover is very very green and it's quite a thick book.

Tam Lin by Pamela Dean

message 44: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments It only needs a forest and a white horse, but sadly that's not it. Thanks for trying. :)

message 45: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dyarch) | 139 comments Could it be The Horse Goddess?

Paperback
Hardcover

message 46: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments Unfortunately, that is also not it. :( I fear there could be pages of recomendations and those wouldn't be it. I wish I could project the image I have in my head onto paper. Yeah, it's times like these I wish I could draw.
Thank you everyone that has helped me so far it is very much so apperciated! :)

message 47: by HJ (new)

HJ The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge?

message 48: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments Not it. Thanks. :)

message 49: by Courtney (last edited Sep 17, 2011 02:03PM) (new) - added it

Courtney  | 80 comments I've been following this thread for so long and was waiting for it to be solved!

I feel like I should know this book....since I love horses.

Is it The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, Vol. 1 Swept Away and Sun Blind by Josepha Sherman ? There are other editions of this with different covers.

Edit: Or is it this? Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2) by Bruce Coville

message 50: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments Not it. I am almost 90% certain it was a regular horse on the cover not a unicorn.
Thanks for having hope for me! :) Mine hasn't been up half as long as some unsolved books and hopefully it doesn't take more than a year to find but you never know.

« previous 1