Sci-Fi Romance discussion

Film, TV, and Comics > Falling Skies

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Is anyone watching this? I just got an opportunity to watch it this weekend, and I thought the concept was very interesting. I'm already intrigued by the character of the captive alien, their tactic of "controlling" humans to do their dirty work, and the struggle of the main character for his son.

message 2: by Jody (new)

Jody Wallace (jodywallace) I look forward to it every week, but I'm a little disappointed at how they're using their few female characters. Love interest / healer, damsel in distress, peaceful religious person, rape victim, etc....

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) | 226 comments Mmmm. Isn't there a thread right under this one?

message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments D'oh! I didn't see that, Jan. But fortunately, that's more of an anticpatory thread, so we'll consider this the discussion. ;)

Wow, Jody, I didn't notice that. Hmmm... I only saw the first episode so I only caught a glimpse of their characters. Those are such stereotypes. I guess the love interest/healer is the scientist? Who are the other three?

message 5: by Jody (new)

Jody Wallace (jodywallace) There's the love interest/girlfriend of the teenage boy who (SPOILER if you've only seen the first ep!). There's the other love interest of the teenage boy who's a quiet religious girl who has kept her faith so far and played a very bit part. And then the rape victim is from a future episode too. It's possible they will allow her to violate her stereotype eventually, but maybe not. I was just thinking the story would have been very intriguing if it was a dad and his teenage DAUGHTER who functioned as the warrior beside him instead of a teenage son. Esp if they managed to NOT have her end up as a damsel in distress.

message 6: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments You're right, it's much more interesting when the female characters don't just fill stereotypical roles. The more complexity, the better. Is their audience mostly men, I wonder?

message 7: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) | 226 comments I think I read a critique on io9 that the writers understood they were using stereotypes, but had to make a choice between either setting the conflict/world/situation with stereotypes and later explore them and make them 3dimensional or make them 3dimensional from the start and have less time for the world and conflict.

message 8: by new_user (last edited Jul 05, 2011 07:20PM) (new)

new_user | 755 comments Really? That sounds like a copout to me, since there doesn't seem to be a lot of the setting explored thus far either. I haven't seen this world and conflict that they sacrificed character for, LOL.

message 9: by Jody (new)

Jody Wallace (jodywallace) I am enjoying the show despite the stereotypes, so there's that. I just don't think it would have been as hard to avoid stereotypes as all that. All you'd have had to do was switch up some genders, you know?

message 10: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Chater (chaterpublishing) | 7 comments its slow to get going, but I'll keep watching.

message 11: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I've watched every ep so far. I like it but it's not a favorite yet. They're really trying to include a lot of character moments as opposed to rapid SF. Keeps budgetary costs down IMHO and so may increase the longevity of the show.

Stereotypes, yep. Not my favorite thing either. I'm hoping they're using them as jumping off points though, and not going to keep it that way. They've already changed up one of the male characters so he's not totally the creep he seemed like, and he's one of the most interesting so far for me.

My first impression was it was too similar to V, but it's getting away from that now. My second impression was it's kind of slow-moving. I find myself glancing away a lot, but then something happens and I can't turn away.

They do have a lot of characters with potential. Hopefully the writers are up to fulfilling them.

I like that they aren't all jumping into bed with each other (which happened on V.) People are showing remorse and grief over the longterm. Noah Wylie's character is growing on me.

message 12: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Yeah, the remorse and grief and moral dilemmas are what are compelling for me. Who is the character that is turning around? Is it the doctor? I'm curious about him.

message 13: by Jody (new)

Jody Wallace (jodywallace) The hard-edged commander guy is sort of turning around. The doctor, at last watch, still seemed putzy.

message 14: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments LOL. What do you think of the aliens and the special effects?

message 15: by Jody (new)

Jody Wallace (jodywallace) Oh, they're all right :). I'm good at suspending disbelief for special effects as long as acting, characterization and plot are solid.

message 16: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I agree that the special effects are pretty good, not stunning, but good.

The commander, yes. And the creepy motorcycle guy who turned out to be a chef.

The doc I mean isn't the woman, it's the guy who played on Wings years ago. Don't know his name.

message 17: by Jody (new)

Jody Wallace (jodywallace) I think his name is Typecast McButthole?

message 18: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments LOL. Yeah. I think that's him. At least he's working.

message 19: by Kiersten (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 17 comments I've started watching this series. Interesting so far. We'll see if they can keep it up.

message 20: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I still like this show. But I think I like the rebel best. Poole, I think his name is? The kids are usually making a lot of noise. LOL. I like Noah Wylie too. Just watch the Librarian marathon.

message 21: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments What? We have to wait until Summer of 2012...a whole year??? to find out what happens to Tom? Ack!

I'll be highly ticked if they cancel this in the meantime. I'm starting to get into this show.

message 22: by Jody (new)

Jody Wallace (jodywallace) OMG, I know. Just watched the finale and both me and my husband cursed at the TV when we saw the date. Not that we didn't know, but still. CURSES!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) First Game of Thrones, now this show taking a whole year for the next season. That's a long time to keep viewers on the hook.

Sorry for the lurking and just now jumping in the conversation, btw. :)

My husband and I had mixed feelings about the show all season long. It was very slow and full of dialog that didn't take us far. I actually liked the season finale and felt like, "okay, now we're finally getting somewhere." Of course, that would happen on the season finale.

message 24: by Gail (new)

Gail Koger (gailkoger) | 36 comments I love the show and the aliens are impressive