"REHAB" discussion

Debates > US Government

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

Katerina (klymene) | 2740 comments Mod
The Budget....

message 2: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

Obviously, the government's settled now. and this was the settlement: http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy1...
I don't really know much about politics. But what do you think of it?

message 3: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 710 comments Can i just say that I hate our justice system? It's horrible and things rarely get accomplished in a timely manner.

message 4: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

Why do you think so?

message 5: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 710 comments Take the Casey Anthony trail for example. It's been going on since late-2008 and while I realize that it takes time for evidence to be processed and examined, it's still ridiculous. And then the fact that we can't convict all of the criminals who need to be convicted and we have no room in our jails and prisons because people have to do time that probably exceeds the amount that people in other countries have to serve for the same crime.

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily (lafillebrigitte) you think ours is bad? why don't you research the British legal system in the early 1800s!

message 7: by Hannah, Don't TOUCH my Title Klymy. (new)

Hannah | 3223 comments Mod
The thing is, there are faults in practically every system.

message 8: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

Yeah. Of course. Minnesota's government is shut down, 'cause they can't work out a bill

message 9: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 710 comments Hannah wrote: "The thing is, there are faults in practically every system."

Just some have more faults than others.

Klym- that's a prime example of what I'm talking about.

message 10: by Hannah, Don't TOUCH my Title Klymy. (new)

Exactly.

message 11: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

My mother keeps saying that it's politics at the cost of the people. I just can't believe that they can't reach a happy medium. The people in Minnesota would rather have an awkward budget than a government shutdown
((And no one worders, hannah :) ))

message 12: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 710 comments *gasps* Hannah! You must set a good example to the poor little non-mods like myself!

message 13: by Hannah, Don't TOUCH my Title Klymy. (new)

Haha but I am! LOL

message 14: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 710 comments But you didn't that last time!

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily (lafillebrigitte) for shame Hannah. tut-tut. :)

message 16: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 710 comments Oh, Hannah.....:)

message 17: by Hannah, Don't TOUCH my Title Klymy. (new)

Rae*Gnomey* wrote: "But you didn't that last time!"

*is now confuzzled by the meaning of this*

Why do people keep shaming and well saying "Oh Hannah?"

GOODNESS I must be going through a reputation trial here or something......

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily (lafillebrigitte) *whispers* she on to us!

message 19: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 710 comments *le gasp!* Oh no!

message 20: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

Back to topic... Oh! the Casey Anthony case was finished! And the mother was aquitted!

message 21: by Rebekah Faith (last edited Jul 07, 2011 06:52PM) (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 710 comments But not for murder- there wasn't enough evidence for the jury to confidently acquit her on the murder charges. And Casey only has 4 years in jail. That's the length of time that this trial has gone on.

PS- the mom is Casey. The dead girl is Caylee

message 22: by Hannah, Don't TOUCH my Title Klymy. (new)

Okay so that is sad....Yet good....

AND YES GIRLS I AM ONTO YOU.

message 23: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

I watched the Dateline or 60 minutes thing on it, I can't ever remember what it is. Or maybe it was 48 hours? Whatever. Point is I know the story, just not the names. I wonder how the boy has turned out. It's terrifying to think that a mother would kill her own daughter, just because her daughter was being irritating, but I guess it's possible. Anything's possible

message 24: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 710 comments Yeah, stranger things have happened.

message 25: by Mason (last edited Jul 24, 2011 08:40AM) (new)

Mason | 54 comments Before After % change
Avg.. Retail price/gallon gas in U.S. $1.83 $3.44 84% 1
Crude oil, European Brent (barrel) $43..48 $99..02 127.7% 2
Crude oil, West TX Inter. (barrel) $38..74 $91..38 135.9% 2
Gold: London (per troy oz.) $853.25 $1,369.50 60.5% 2
Corn, No.2 yellow, Central IL $3.56 $6.33 78.1% 2
Soybeans, No. 1 yellow, IL $9.66 $13..75 42.3% 2
Sugar, cane, raw, world, lb. Fob $13..37 $35..39 164.7% 2
Unemployment rate, non-farm, overall 7.6% 9.4% 23.7% 3
Unemployment rate, blacks 12.6% 15.8% 25.4% 3
Number of unemployed 11,616,000 14,485,000 24.7% 3
Number of fed. Employees 2,779,000 2,840,000 2.2% 3
Real median household income $50,112 $49,777 -0.7% 4
Number of food stamp recipients 31,983,716 43,200,878 35.1% 5
Number of unemployment benefit recipients 7,526,598 9,193,838 22.2% 6
Number of long-term unemployed 2,600,000 6,400,000 146.2% 3
Poverty rate, individuals 13.2% 14.3% 8.3% 4
People in poverty in U.S. 39,800,000 43,600,000 9.5% 4
U.S.. Rank in Economic Freedom World Rankings 5 9 n/a 10
Present Situation Index 29.9 23.5 -21.4% 11
Failed banks 140 164 17.1% 12
U.S.. Dollar versus Japanese yen exchange rate 89.76 82.03 -8.6% 2
U.S.. Money supply, M1, in billions 1,575.1 1,865.7 18.4% 13
U.S.. Money supply, M2, in billions 8,310.9 8,852.3 6.5% 13
National debt, in trillions $10..627 $14..052 32.2% 14

Just take this last item: In the last two years we have accumulated national debt at a rate more than 27 times as fast as during the rest of our entire nation’s history.
Over 27 times as fast. Metaphorically speaking, if you are driving in the right lane doing 65 MPH and a car rockets past you in the left lane.
27 times faster, it would be doing 7,555 MPH!
Sources:
(1) U.S. Energy Information Administration; (2) Wall Street Journal; (3) Bureau of Labor Statistics; (4) Census Bureau; (5) USDA; (6) U.S. Dept. Of Labor;
(7) FHFA; (8) Standard & Poor’s/Case-Shiller; (9) RealtyTrac; (10) Heritage Foundation and WSJ; (11) The Conference Board; (12) FDIC;
(13) Federal Reserve; (14) U.S. Treasury

message 26: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

Your point?

message 27: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Klymene wrote: "Your point?"

The US economy sucks.

message 28: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

I dunno about that. There is no way that everyone in the country will be happy with the government at any one time. I don't think US voters even agree about anything anymore.

message 29: by Hannah, Don't TOUCH my Title Klymy. (new)

Wowo Mason

message 30: by Mason (new)

Mason | 54 comments yeah... i know

message 31: by Megamarie (new)

Megamarie | 61 comments Yeah! I don't know about this since I'm not in the US but still it affects my country and my freakin' life.

message 32: by Hannah, Don't TOUCH my Title Klymy. (new)

That it does

message 33: by Megamarie (new)

Megamarie | 61 comments IKR?

message 34: by Hannah, Don't TOUCH my Title Klymy. (new)

Mm-Hmm.

message 35: by The (new)

The Pyromaniac00 (pyromaniac00) No American dies a virgin because our government fucks us all

message 36: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

Andy, could you please explain yourself? I really, really don't get it. Are you saying that the government is unfair?

message 37: by The (new)

The Pyromaniac00 (pyromaniac00) Ya. They just do whatever they can for themself. They raise taxes for the poor like me while the rich get to keep theirs and they give themselves raises and then complain that the government needs more money

message 38: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

Well, from a completely neutral perspective ('cause my family's middle class), letting the rich get a tax break might be a good idea. The rich are the ones that create jobs right? They are the ones that control the corporation that employ people and give them paychecks.

Also, rich business men pay themselves first. As in, when they get their paychecks, they pay their own expenses first, and then they pay the taxes. In contrast, most people pay their taxes first and then pay the bills second. In other words, the ratio of the amount of money rich people pay for taxes to the amounth of money they earn total will often be smaller than that of the lower classes.

Secondly, the "poor", you put it, actually get the most benifits, should they choose to take advantage of them. They have the opportunity to use free libraries, which also have free computer labs. The american public pays for the public schools through taxes. If you are, well, poor enough, then you can get free lunches, also paid for by the American public. You can also get financial aid, or even scholarships when you go to college, just because you are "poor". So really, the government has tried to even out the playing field for everyone, as best as it can, and the rest is up to the individual.

Sorry, I don't mean to blame you, but the fact is that the government can't please everyone in the country all at once. All it can do is do the best it can.

I guess I wasn't so neutral after all.

message 39: by The (new)

The Pyromaniac00 (pyromaniac00) they still give themselves raises and give billions to companies that give the money to only the owners and high ups. And even if the rich make jobs they should have to pay a lot more because they can afford it. The poor like us can't. When taxes come around as it is we only have a couple hundred bucks. Taxes are often alot more than that. Cut us poor people a break and maybe then America won't be homeless

message 40: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

I hate to say this, but you can't depend on the government to save you. You have to make a difference in your own life. One way is education, the other is become independent and get your own job, live on your own and change your life, really, its all up to you. Do the best you can with what you have, and the rest will come.

message 41: by The (new)

The Pyromaniac00 (pyromaniac00) I'm not saying rely on it but you still need to pay a little for public schools especially the classes I take cuz they're the only things I'm good at. Once taxes come around I won't be able to go to school cuz of money meaning no education to make my own life with

message 42: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

hm. Some schools have some sort of Work-Study program, where you can work for the school after school and earn points to pay for field trips and such. If you are talking about books for English and such, then get them at the library and keep renewing them until you don't need the books anymore.

message 43: by The (new)

The Pyromaniac00 (pyromaniac00) *sigh* you don't get it at all..just forget it

message 44: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

I'm just saying try to solve your own problems. Be Proactive. Oh, and two books for you, I've sent the recommendations to you.

message 45: by The (last edited Sep 11, 2011 02:29PM) (new)

The Pyromaniac00 (pyromaniac00) Jurk jurk jurk

message 46: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

A) One worder.
B) you spelled it wrong
C) why?

message 47: by The (new)

The Pyromaniac00 (pyromaniac00) A) 3 worder :P
B) No I spelled it my way. There's a diffrent
C) I can make friends it's just I'm too trusting plus many emotional problem means in the end I always get hurt. I try but I always fail

message 48: by Hannah, Don't TOUCH my Title Klymy. (new)

What an optimistic attitude Andy.

message 49: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

http://www.congressmerge.com/onlinedb...

Find out who your senator is!

And... hopefully y'all don't live in my state, or else you'll be competition:

http://www.youthtour.coop/

Go to Washington DC on an all expenses paid trip. And, the application is really, really easy. Surprisingly easy, even.

message 50: by Emily (new)

Emily (lafillebrigitte) if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't.
this has been a Dad Maxim.