Struggling Writers discussion

*Archives * > Illegal Immigration in the U.S

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) The thing I cannot help but think about when this topic comes up is the horrendous hypocritical double standard when it comes to immigration. The idea of immigration is to take people who want to come to this country, to be a citizen of this country, and to make this country better and allow them entry. While I feel immensely bad for the horrible situation a lot of these illegal immigrants are trying to escape they are not coming here to make this country better. A majority of them will end up on public assistance and almost all illegal immigrants will live in poverty. And they also run the risk of being treated like slaves once they're here. They have an illegal job, illegal pay, illegal housing, and thus cannot report abuses by their employer, landlord, or neighbors for fear of being deported. So your employer can force you to work 12 hours a day if your illegal because what are you going to do about it? Call the authorities and get deported? Not likely.

Most illegal immigrants are brought here by criminals and drug smugglers who typically take all their money, treat them like cattle, practically starve them to death, beat them, and rape the women. It's estimated that approximately 90% of illegal immigrant women were raped as their "payment" for being taken safely across the border. And of course we can't forget that by overlooking illegal immigration we are essentially saying that it's okay to flout this country's laws and we don't really care if you do. Well if you can flout the immigration law why should any others be treated with more respect? I dare any American citizen to go to Mexico or Canada without the proper paperwork and see if they overlook it. At least in Mexico you're now sitting in a Mexican prison with no trial, no lawyer, and can be held indefinitely according to their immigration laws.

And meanwhile we have people who want to immigrate to this country the correct way. They want to follow the rules and become legal, law abiding citizens of the United States. And they have to endure mountains of paperwork, the government's version of English, submitting every scrap of paperwork the government asks for, submitting to a medical examination, personal interviews, and having the government pry into every aspect of your life. Then you get to wait in line for up to 10 years before you are allowed to be a citizen. Is overlooking the illegal immigration issue really fair to all those immigrants who waited their turn and did it right?

Look at my own person situation. I am engaged to a British man. We've been together for 3 and a half years. We're going to be apart for at least another year, maybe longer, while the government decides if he can be allowed to move here to marry me. And every single facet and aspect of our lives will be under government scrutiny until they decide, and they take thousands of dollars from us in application fees as well. And if they deny our application? We get to wait 3-5 years to be allowed to submit it again. But if he conveniently lives across a land border, he could walk right into the country and the government wouldn't care in the least. Double standard? Definitely. Hypocritical? Sure. Politicians looking for more votes? I have a sneaking suspicion that answer is yes as well.

message 2: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) The hardcore conservative/Republican that I am will probably show through in topics like these, hahah.

It it wrong to tolerate illegal immigration. However heartless this sounds, the solution to all your problems is not smuggling your way into America; you'll be happier in the long run if you just try to do everything legally! Like Stefani said, it's not like you can report anything to the government anyway; no doctor is going to take you in if you don't have valid citizenship. There's nothing for you here if you aren't a citizen! And they also feed off of welfare, since most illegal immigrants can't get jobs, housing benefits and school benefits when thousands of legitimate Americans are staving and homeless! It's ridiculous that everyone who disagrees with letting immigration slide is considered "racist" and closed to America being a melting pot.

The reaction to the Arizona bill was also ridiculous. Don't even get me started. >>

message 3: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) Thalia wrote: "
The reaction to the Arizona bill was also ridiculous. Don't even get me started. >>"

I couldn't agree more, the bill stated word for word what the federal immigration law says. Which I know that no one cares about what the federal law says but there is no difference in the wording of the two. And all Arizona was doing is basically saying, look if you're not going to help save our state from this problem then we'll do it ourselves. I applaud that self reliance of a state.

And just for the record, while I may sound like a hardcore Republican here, I'm not lol. I'm a registered Libertarian, maximum freedom, minimal government is my thing.

message 4: by Adam (new)

Adam I don't agree with being tolerant of illegal immigration either. But it's probably for slightly different reasons... I think it's more of a case of resources for me. They should go through the normal channels to get citizenship so that we can decide whom we wish to share the U.S. resources with. If everyone comes here in a flood and just settles then we'll be quite over saturated.

Though, there is a LOT here for illegal immigrants. The life of an illegal immigrant is probably safer and much better than where they are original from. Especially if they are running from places like Central America.

Secondly, if an illegal immigrant is injured severely we STILL give them medical care. That's the whole point of the Hippocratic Oath doctors take. The only problem is that someone has to foot that bill and it certainly isn't the illegal immigrant making 10k a year! This goes back to my "using our resources" comment.

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen By definition, illegal immigrants are criminals - they're ILLEGAL. The very fact that they are here, is a crime. And crimes committed by anyone should not be tolerated.

I'm all for LEGAL immigration, because those people really work hard for their citizenship. They've proven that they deserve to be here and will live by this countries laws and support themselves as they are able.
Accepting illegals and giving them a free pass, is not only more of a burden on honest, hard working Americans, but also a slap in the face of those who've obtained citizenship in the legal way.