Women In Aviation discussion

ATA

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 50 comments Mod
We have a group dedicated to the WASP, but no group dedicated to the ATA pilots. So here it is. And I'm going to begin by listing some books.

The Beauty Chorus by Kate Lord Brown
Izzy's War by Isla Dewar
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
The Lady in the Spitfire by Helena P. Schrader
Dance with Wings by Amelia Carr

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ewein) | 15 comments and also Tuesday's War by David Fiddimore! which I haven't read yet.

message 3: by Karl (new)

Karl Friedrich | 13 comments Hi. I really enjoyed my brief exposure to Anne Lindbergh's writing. He claimed he was initially attracted to her because she didn't try to suck up to him, which the majority of the world did do. If you like to read about airplanes and history, you might enjoy this clip of me on TV news talking about my new historical novel about the WASP, Wings: A Novel of World War II Flygirls.

http://bit.ly/kdMwle It was a hoot.

At any rate, welcome to the group. Karl Friedrich

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ewein) | 15 comments it took me a while but I finally took a look at your interview, Karl! Fantastic footage they found to use as background. I'm looking forward to reading the novel. Thanks for the welcome!

Elizabeth

message 5: by Karl (new)

Karl Friedrich | 13 comments The footage of the WASP blew me away, too, Elizabeth. I had no idea the station was going to do that.

Here's another surprise: The 99's, an international group of women pilots that was formed in part by Amelia Earhart, is giving away copies of my book at the Winston Salem Air Show this weekend. Some of the ladies read my book and really liked it!

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ewein) | 15 comments I'm a 99! It's great to know you've got their support. Maybe a mention will turn up in the newsletter; I'll keep an eye out!

message 7: by Karl (new)

Karl Friedrich | 13 comments You're a 99!!! How cool! What do you fly?

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ewein) | 15 comments mostly just Cessna 152s! I have not got many hours! I live in Scotland, though, so most of my flying takes place over stunningly beautiful countryside.

message 9: by Karl (new)

Karl Friedrich | 13 comments 152's are good. I went up in one a few times. Living in Scotland, you probably could get your hands on a Chipmunk.

I've not been to Scotland, but sitting in front of me right now is a rock that a friend brought back to me many years ago from the grounds of one of the castles.

I doubt there's a prettier place on Earth to fly over. Happy flying to you.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Finished reading Fearless by Erin O'Reilly today. It was an okay read. I posted a review for those interested

message 11: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 50 comments Mod
That's on my to read! I'm reading Dance With Wingsright now

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Schultz (aviationhistorian) | 3 comments Just posted - Endorsed by Earhart - how Amelia financed her flying. Loads of photos, from airlines and books to cars and chocolate bars. Hard cover with dust jacket. Limited first edition to 1,000 copies.