Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

book recommendations (mysteries)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K. (new)

K. Dawn (kdawnbyrd) | 2 comments I'm a writer published in young adult romance. I just signed a contract for a mystery/romance series. Can you recommend some young adult mysteries for me to read? I'd like to find something other than Nancy Drew. Maybe something a little more mature since my series will have more romance. Thanks!

message 2: by Hillary (new)

Hillary (eledri) | 24 comments Clarity (Clarity, #1) by Kim Harrington
It has some paranormal aspect to it, but it's a YA mystery.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann The Body Finder (Body Finder, #1) by Kimberly Derting and Desires of the Dead (Body Finder, #2) by Kimberly Derting are mystery but they too have some paranormal aspects.

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie Rosebush by Michele Jaffe is also one.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I enjoyed A Spy in the House (The Agency, #1) by Y.S. Lee .

I also recommend What I Saw And How I Lied by Judy Blundell though its not a mystery in the traditional sense.

message 6: by Jenny (last edited Jul 05, 2011 12:08PM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) All Unquiet Things by Anna Jarzab standard murder mystery
Death Cloud (Sherlock Holmes The Legend Begins, #1) by Andy Lane a young Sherlock Holmes
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) by Alan Bradley The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag (Flavia de Luce, #2) by Alan Bradley A Red Herring Without Mustard (Flavia de Luce, #3) by Alan Bradley The protag in these is an 11 year old girl so probably not as mature as you'd like, but are good little mystery books.
I'll second Clarity (Clarity, #1) by Kim Harrington . The girl has a psychic ability, but even though it's got that little supernatural aspect to it, the book reads more like a contemporary mystery.
The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1) by Kimberly Derting is also really good, though the supernatural plays much more of a role in this one. It's also a pretty creepy read because some of the chapters are from the murderer's POV which adds significantly to the disturbing mood of the book. It also has a good romance in it.

message 7: by Janet (last edited Jul 05, 2011 08:04PM) (new)

Janet | 80 comments K., Could you say more about what type of mystery you're interested in? For example, a thriller style stop-the-murderer mystery, more of a procedural find-the-evidence cop-style mystery, or more of an Agatha Christie unravel-the-truth mystery?

Personally I think the best YA mystery is written by writers that crossover between adult and YA, like Jordan Dane (In the Arms of Stone Angels) and Nancy Springer.

Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia Grey series also comes to mind, particularly Silent in the Grave.

Other YA mystery you may want to check out:
-highly recommended: Shine by Lauren Myracle

-Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch (includes paranormal, but more detective-y than say Jim Butcher)

-The Visconti House by Elsbeth Edgar

- old school YA mystery/romance- Mary Stewart (maybe try Thornyhold or Touch Not the Cat)

- I second the recommendations for Alan Bradley and for Kimberly Derting

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (manchesterunited) | 14 comments I really enjoyed the series by Peter Abrahams starting with Down the Rabbit Hole
A 13 year old girl actor discovers a town's secrets.

I highly agree with the recommendation of the Alan Bradley series starting with The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie A past her age 11 year old chemist who is hilarious and one of my favorite characters in all fiction.

message 9: by Angelic (new)

Angelic | 2 comments can anyone recommend me any paranormal romance books? thanx.

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (scribingshadows) The Liar Society by Lisa and Laura Roecker. I thought it was a really good contemporary mystery, the main character is trying to find out what really happened the night her best friend died.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Angelic wrote: "can anyone recommend me any paranormal romance books? thanx."

If you want something light I loved Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine, #1) by Heather Webber .

message 12: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylawrites89) | 349 comments Bad Kitty by Michele Jaffe is a mystery series I enjoyed. The Other Side of Dark (Laurel-Leaf Suspense Fiction) by Joan Lowery Nixon The Name of the Game Was Murder by Joan Lowery Nixon

message 13: by Eden (new)

Eden (tsalagi_writer) | 135 comments Anything by Joan Lowery Nixon. She wrote great mysteries for young adults.

message 14: by Janet (new)

Janet | 80 comments People on this thread who love Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce should definitely also check out Nancy Springer's Enola Holmes mysteries. Enola and Flavia have a great deal in common. The Enola Holmes series is aimed at middle grades, so the mysteries are usually simpler, but they're still great fun for adult readers.