Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

2011 Archive > 2011 Half-Yr Review - How are you doing so far?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) We're now at the halfway point into 2011! Where did the time go off to?

How are you doing so far? On track? Ahead? Behind? What do you think of your reading so far? Has your focus or goals changed now that you are six months older wiser?

Remember, at this point, you can choose to update your reading goals. If you wish to up your target, feel free to jump into the next higher lounge. If you want to give yourself more breathing space, feel free to jump a group down.

Note: If you plan to update your reading goal, simply decide your new target, and move your thread to the specific lounge. Remember to update your thread topic. To move your thread to a different folder, click on the "(edit)" button beside your thread topic, choose the correct folder in the "folder" drop-down list and click "Save".

message 2: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 247 comments I am a little behind right now. But have no fears of catching up. Right now about 1/2 way into 4 books.

message 3: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) I think I'm on track. I'm at 50, so that's good. I don't think I will ever move my target up - life has a cruel way of sneaking up on me, so I have to allow for plenty of disturbances but it's good to not be behind, though that isn't a bad thing either.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (thedoctorscompanion) | 107 comments I am really behind, but now that summer is here and I just got a Kindle, I have been reading more, so hopefully I will catch up! I found a lot of free short stories on Amazon, so that is putting up my read list a little. I have a long car ride coming up in a few weeks, so I hope I will be able to get some reading done then!

message 5: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 414 comments I think I am right on track!

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (thedoctorscompanion) | 107 comments KrisT wrote: "I think I am right on track!"

Congrats!! I wish I was, lol.

message 7: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I'm just a little bit behind right now. According to GoodReads, I'm behind by 9 books. Which seems about right. I moved my challenge a little while ago to 100, and it's taken a little of the stress off of me!

I've got 41 books right now. I think my reading focus right now is terrible bc I have some awesome books to read, but my mind wont stop whirling. :). This year has been really great so far, though. I'm anxious to see what the next six months will bring!

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha I'm behind. I lost my reading mojo but lately, I've been on a kick. I think now that it is warm, I'm sitting outside and reading more. I think I'll be good. I'm starting to catch up a bit.

message 9: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) I have a question: does anyone know how to import our personal "read" book list into our challenge post? Is it possible? I haven't kept up with posting each book this year (bad Cindi!) so wanted to just ... copy my list!

Even worse, I've been so lazy lately that I haven't even been inputting what books I've read from the library for the last few weeks and I read so much I just can't remember. I need to get it together.

message 10: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) I am ahead and have doubled my goal, due to life changes that I wish that I could have avoided. Will likely add more, but wish that I didn't.

message 11: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Cindi wrote: "I have a question: does anyone know how to import our personal "read" book list into our challenge post? Is it possible?"

To the best of my knowledge, it isn't possible. I wish it was though. GR should provide a feature to just import books from a list onto posts.

message 12: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I'm 5 books over where I should be for mid-year, so I'm doing fine. I like trying to keep at least a couple over when possible so when life throws a loop, I don't fall so far behind. I was just on vacation so was able to do a lot of reading.

message 13: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 561 comments I am ahead by about 4 books right now, and will probably make my goal of 200 books by the end of the year. I need to get ahead now, though, because I am leaving for a two-week vacation in Alaska soon, and don't know how much reading I will get done there! I am pleased with my progress so far.

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 776 comments Mod
@ Cindi - are you talking a list, like a challenge list from a shelf? i'm confused? For me, I track all my books in an excel sheet - makes it easy to cut and paste at the end of each month into various group challenges

I'm well past the half-way point - but I have my phd comps at the end of this month/into august, so I foresee no reading time while I write...I'm trying to get ahead in all my challenges, and i'm sure i'll read some, just not to the same level I normally do

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I'm a bit ahead of my new goal, which is 200. I'm at #118, so if I manage to keep my current reading speed throughout the summer holiday, I'll achieve my goal at the end of the year.

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_mc) | 302 comments I'm ahead... really ahead 148/150. I'm going to up my goal to 200. I don't want to stress myself too much so I'm not going to jump too high!

message 17: by Zakiya (last edited Jul 05, 2011 08:17AM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Great job, Michelle!! One day I'll be able to read like that :D

Ginny- awesome job to you too! you always amaze me with how much you read :P

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Z! And your constant enthusiasm never fails to amaze me ;D

message 19: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) Dee, I mean from my GR "read" shelf. I don't track mine by Excel (I used to on Word) but if I did, I could probably cut & paste ...).

message 20: by Christina (new)

Christina (Christieald) I'm currently 35 books ahead of schedule...thinking about increasing my goal to 150.

message 21: by Amber (new)

Amber I'm currently ahead of schedule; 16 books ahead to be exact. I'd love to up my challenge to 150, but summer has finally arrived in Wisconsin (haha) and I'm predicting a bit of a slow-down over the next couple of months. So I'll stay where I'm at and see how it turns out.

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 776 comments Mod
ahh - well you can export your shelves to excel...I do this on a semi-regular basis for backup...

Cindi wrote: "Dee, I mean from my GR "read" shelf. I don't track mine by Excel (I used to on Word) but if I did, I could probably cut & paste ...)."

message 23: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) Thanks, Dee! I'll try that.

message 24: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Eugine wrote: "Thanks, Z! And your constant enthusiasm never fails to amaze me ;D"

haha i suppose we're even then :p

message 25: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I'm way ahead!

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 122 comments i am so far behind but I am going to do my best in the second half. does reading and proofing my book OVER HER DEAD BODY COUNT

message 27: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 88 comments I slipped behind a little bit this month. I think its been all the nice weather we've had! I imagine my reading will pick up again once the weather goes back to being crappy!

message 28: by Samantha (new)

Samantha I'm behind :( but I plan to get back in it.

message 29: by Isabel (new)

Isabel (isabelbookgirl) | 44 comments I am right on track, happy i have really applied my self to logging all my books

message 30: by Alexei (new)

Alexei  (katara317) | 78 comments I'm doing perfectly! Ahead of my goal! 86 of 150 at this point.

message 31: by Donnajo (last edited Aug 02, 2011 12:35PM) (new)

Donnajo I've been bad I haven't kept updated here. it's summer so I'm not on the laptop as much as the rest of the year with going back and forth to the shore but I do take the laptop with me. so email I keep up to date with. I'm going to update my list on my thread within the next few days. I'm at 86 for the year so far. and I have to go to 150. My book counts for the summer haven't been as good but it's that I'm reading books that take longer not that I'm not reading. I'm also doing a book reading contest for the shore bookstore. for july and aug. so I wish my counts were more. I'm going to try and do better this month. I only got 11 read in july and I would have gotten one more but couldn't finish th last 20 some pages just was too tired.

message 32: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 93 comments I'm ahead of my goal as well, which is good because I'm currently working on a Big Book (751 pp) and have 2 more planned in August!

message 33: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy  (vilette) | 208 comments I'm a bit ahead with 92 out of 150 so I think I will reach my goal by the end of the year. 150 seems to be about right for me.

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan (superbookfreak) | 115 comments Sucky, I'm not even where I want to be, but I've been sick and having school and all. I guess it will get better.

message 35: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 137 comments I am a bit behind, my summer vacation got me off track. I am hoping to gain a few once the kids go back to school. And the read-a-thon should help - a lot !

message 36: by Shay (new)

Shay | 330 comments Debbie wrote: "I am a bit behind, my summer vacation got me off track. I am hoping to gain a few once the kids go back to school. And the read-a-thon should help - a lot !"

I know. With the kids home, I'm even busier than when they're in school. And more tired.

message 37: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 137 comments I know, only a week left around here and then they go back :)

message 38: by Shay (new)

Shay | 330 comments Mine don't go back until the end of August. Which is stupid- one week back then Labor Day weekend.

message 39: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo I think I've been just reading books that take me longer even though I wasted time I could have been reading at the shore. when it's so hot outside it's just so hard to read and easier just to watch what is happening around you. so on sunday when we were at the beach I kept trying to read but my concentration just wasn't there so I was doing my people watching then anything. but I did read and finish 2 books during the weekend so that is better than usual. one I started (shore library book my sister got out)on friday and finished on saturday and one of finished on saturday and finished early monday morning before coming home and I could have finished it on sunday and didn't. I'm hoping in the next week while I'm home I'll get in 8 books haha wishful thinking but will try my best.

message 40: by Sally (new)

Sally Wolf (sallyawolf) I have read Red Hot Property, Show Dog Sings the Blues, Distant Shores, and The Wizards First Rule.

message 41: by Jennifer C (new)

Jennifer C I am ahead of schedule but I am going to keep myself at my current and read the big tomes (Echo in Bone) after I meet my goal so I don't feel so pressured.

message 42: by Elhara (new)

Elhara | 11 comments Soo0 Soo0 far behind. 2011 has been busy right from the start. I'm a new mother in law - I started a new job after spending many years raising 4 children and I am about to become a grandmother. So...I forgive myself. I haven't given up all hope though. We'll see.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Elhara wrote: "Soo0 Soo0 far behind. 2011 has been busy right from the start. I'm a new mother in law - I started a new job after spending many years raising 4 children and I am about to become a grandmother. So..."

Congratualtations on becoming grandma, Elhara! :)

My current status is 151 of 200!

message 44: by Jennifer C (new)

Jennifer C My current status is 81 of 100 so I guess I will have to raise my goal. Not sure what I will or even if I will. I may allow myself to reach the 100 book goal and then use the rest of the year to read the really long books that I have been holding back on and do some scrapbooking which I am way far behind on.

message 45: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 15 comments I'm only at 110 out of 200. I'd love to be able to finish, this readathon is helping!

message 46: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1 comments I"m a little behind, but once the weather changes to cold and nasty, I will feel less guilty about curling up with a good book. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking forward to the change in weather, but since I live in Michigan, I know it's coming. Anyway, according to my tracker I'm about 17 books behind, as I've read 45 of my 100 book goal. I haven't kept track of how many books I've read since Junior High School, so it'll be interesting to see if I can reach my goal of 100 for 2011.

message 47: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo I was on a roll with reading and finishing up books last week. on the 11th I had 11 books read. now suddenly the weekend I didn't get hardly any reading done and now back home again and I haven't been able to get back motivated again. I'm sure it's the books I'm reading. Maybe I need to stick in another book that I know I'll finish fast.

message 48: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I was only 5 books ahead of my goal in July, but the read-a-thon bumped me up to 11 books ahead. Love that read-a-thon help!

message 49: by Tracy (new)

Tracy LynnB wrote: "I was only 5 books ahead of my goal in July, but the read-a-thon bumped me up to 11 books ahead. Love that read-a-thon help!"

Hey LynnB, it sounds like you could up your challenge.

message 50: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Tracy wrote: "LynnB wrote: "I was only 5 books ahead of my goal in July, but the read-a-thon bumped me up to 11 books ahead. Love that read-a-thon help!"

Hey LynnB, it sounds like you could up your challenge."

I might later, but I start work again in September (school district), and I'm afraid my numbers will fall again.

« previous 1