Author Resources > E-book help

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 1841 comments Mod
:)

message 2: by Amy Eye (new)

Calibre is a wonderful tool, but if you do not have it formatted correctly, it will come out a mess...just a heads up, especially if you are using this to convert your own book for public distribution.

message 3: by Amy Eye (new)

Yea, the only think I don't like about it is that you can't get it to separate chapters on the epub and mobi files to start them on new pages. I have to go through a completely separate program to put in those breaks...OR have you figured out something I haven't??? hhmmm???? LOL

message 4: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 979 comments Sometimes, Smashwords does a "good" job at conversions. It take a .doc file and converts it into any number of formats.

I started with a Word template specifically for printing a paperback. Smashwords did a decent job at conversion from this template. ePub and .MOBI came out well (except that paragraphs are indented...). The PDF version still shows the offsets for binding.

Some of the other formats just got mangled, but who reads books in rich text anyway?

Once you put your book on smashwords, you can download and save any of the formats from the conversion. That's handy when someone wants an ePub or .MOBI version emailed for review.

Splitter

message 5: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments I don't know anything about this conversion stuff! It is why I have yet to self publish. Well one of a few reasons...LOL
I have heard of BookBaby.com. they offer to all this formatting for like 99$.

message 6: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments But you could always hire Amy!! Support the peeps you know first!

message 7: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments this is a really useful, simple, step-by-step formatting guide from April Hamilton:

http://www.aprillhamilton.com/resourc...

Can recommend, though I don't know how much has changed since this time last year. I used a couple of other resources for the active TOC but this was really useful otherwise. Save to your computer, I say!
JAC

message 8: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments You're welcome! And not entirely altruistic as keep losing the pdf so at least I know the link's on here now!
heheheh
JAc

message 9: by Amy Eye (new)

Always good to have information in more than one place JA!! LOL

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 19 comments J.A. wrote: "this is a really useful, simple, step-by-step formatting guide from April Hamilton:

http://www.aprillhamilton.com/resourc...

This is a great reference with a lot of info! Thanks!

Comes the Dragon

message 11: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Stephen wrote: "I used BookBaby. They formatted my manuscript, assigned it an ISBN# and put it on Amazon, B & N, Sony Reader Store, and Apple iBookstore. Cost: $317. I could have spent $100 less, but I didn't wan..."

Oh wow! So were you happy with the services Book Baby did? i don't think 300 is too bad. They did your cover as well?
This is the first person I have talked to that actually has used it. I considered it too a while back was unsure.

Can you post a link to your book here?

message 12: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 979 comments Here is something great for formatting. It is specifically for POD books, but it works for eBooks also:

http://write2publish.blogspot.com/

(Great blog for writers, btw)

Splitter

message 13: by Amy Eye (new)

OOHH!! This is why I love this thread, loads of great information! Thanks, everyone!!

message 14: by Kat (new)

Kat Zantow (kat_zantow) Key things to remember for Calibre:
-Preserve cover aspect ratio.
-If you use H1 and H2, do not use their detect chapters feature, or it will list all the level one headings at the front, and then the normal TOC.
-I have found success page breaking on H1's.

message 15: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Stephen wrote: "Cambria wrote: "Stephen wrote: "I used BookBaby. They formatted my manuscript, assigned it an ISBN# and put it on Amazon, B & N, Sony Reader Store, and Apple iBookstore. Cost: $317. I could have s..."

LOVE the cover. I really like the shadow of the clock in the background. The colors are beautiful together. :)

message 16: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments get tips everyone!!

message 17: by David (new)

David Santos (authordas) you know what? "beats computer with hammer" I give up on this. it took me days just to format everything on word haha and Ive beaten my head trying to figure this out. If anybody has a kind heart and can format this thing for me correctly....well you can read the book for free :P....or atleast help me in trying to format it correctly. I'd be grateful. Appearently more Goodreaders would buy my book if avaliable to download.

message 18: by D. Robert (new)

D. Robert Pease (drobertpease) I followed this guy's steps to creating my eBooks, and am extremely pleased with the outcome. http://guidohenkel.com/2010/12/take-p...

The only negative is when I was all done, I had to go back and do another format (in Word, Ughh!!!) for smashwords, even though I had gorgeous versions I'd already created.
Noah Zarc

message 19: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments Yeah....they've updated the Smashwords formatting now so we can add an active TOC. Really hoping it will work the same as the Kindle one as it took me SIX goes to make it work properly for Kindle, so if I have to do the same thing again twice for future stuff that will send me right up the wall....
JAC

message 20: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 979 comments Smashwords always HATED my TOC's! No matter what I did it kept finding something "hidden" even though it wasn't there.

I DO hope they have made it better. We'll see when book two comes out and I redo book 1.

Splitter

message 21: by D. Robert (new)

D. Robert Pease (drobertpease) I created my own version of .mobi and epub for Kindle, Nook, and iBooks. So I know they are properly formatted. Smashwords is taking care of the rest. They seemed to have been set up fine, including the TOC, I just don't like the formatting as well. I have some nice graphic title chapter names, etc... in the versions I formatted, that are lost in smashwords.

message 22: by Junying (new)

Junying | 16 comments Deb wrote: "I know it sounds crazy, but I love to format books! I did my own and am now working on some friends' books. I'm trying to start up a little formatting business. My website is http://philyrapub.com/..."

Hi Deb

My friend/editor/reviewer Katy kindly directed me to your message, because I have two books on Kindle & Smashwords. However, the formatting has been a mess (no Italics or Bold somehow after I uploaded them.) I'd love to get some help so please DM me if you're interested.

Regards

Junying

message 23: by Amy Eye (new)

Junying, I also format e-books if you are in need of any help with this! :) You can contact me here or at amy@journalstone.com

message 24: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments Hi Junying! See you made it over here too!
JAC

message 25: by Junying (new)

Junying | 16 comments Hi JA, yes. Finding my way around the Maze of GR :). Good to see you here.

Amy, thanks. I'll send you an email shortly.

Junying

message 26: by Amy Eye (new)

Sounds great! Thanks!!