Creative Reviews discussion

Author Resources > Cover Artists

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 1841 comments Mod
For all of your gorgeous cover needs!

message 2: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 10, 2011 12:25PM) (new)

Jennifer Steen (fictionfreak1) | 69 comments Okay so..I have covers done but I want you guys' opinion. I have two different covers for one of my stories so can you guys tell me which one you like the best.

http://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/5...

or this one

http://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/5...

And oh yeah, I totally recommend purchasing your own cover art. Usually when the publishers do it - unless you are luck enough to be publishing with a big house - they don't come out looking too great.

message 3: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 89 comments Not seeing any pics in the post.

message 4: by Amy Eye (new)

I like the second cover better!! The colors in the second are more appealing than the predominantly white cover of the first. :)

message 5: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 89 comments Remember, most people will see them as tiny pics or thumbnails. I like the second cover better, but the first works better as a thumbnail. You can't see the title on the second as a thumbnail. You can see it, but it's hard to read on the first.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Steen (fictionfreak1) | 69 comments Thanks guys!

message 7: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments i like the second one best too. The colors jump right off the page!

message 8: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments They're both lovely and I do like the second one but the thumbnail thing is important.

My own cover has a fabulous picture but when we did it I hadn't really thought about the thumbnail readability of it. What I really notice when mine's on a page with others is that in thumbnail you can't read the title of mine, whereas the ones that are readable look much more professional.

It's something I'm going to address when I do a couple of tweaks after book 2 comes out, but if you can avoid it now, I'd recommend you do the tweaks first - or choose the one with the better readability.
JAC

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Steen (fictionfreak1) | 69 comments This is great advice! You guys are awesome!

message 10: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments JA- your cover rocks woman! Is the second cover done yet?

message 11: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments No...I'm still stuck in edits and rewrites but actually I should get on and ask Fena about it. She just gave me the backdrop for the hardcopy so I'll save that for later and ask her about the next one.

People, I can recommend Fena - haven't posted her details here because she's a student not a professional but take a look at her portfolio. She does a free service and one for (i think) $75? but check that. It's a lot cheaper than professionals because she is a student and doesn't want to charge more than she thinks she's worth - but then, what she thinks she's worth and what I think she's worth are two different beasts....

She's extremely good, and tends to be snowed under around Nov (a fellow NaNoWrimo-er you see) but any other time of year, drop her a line.

Portfolio is here:
http://pheeena.carbonmade.com/project...
and there are some fab ones in last year's portfolio too, which I can't access on work computer but is probably linked.
Google her if you're interested.
JAC

message 12: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 You can always manually search for artists on http://www.deviantart.com/ ... but just don't get too distracted with all the pretty, mesmerizing arts. I have spent—wasted hours just look at them pretty arts.

Also, there are stock photos available if you know how to use Photoshop and make cover-art yourself. =D

message 13: by Lee (new)

Lee Holz Experiment wrote: "You can always manually search for artists on http://www.deviantart.com/ ... but just don't get too distracted with all the pretty, mesmerizing arts. I have spent—wasted hours just look at them pre..."

Actually, if you're running a Mac instead of a PC, you can do remarkable things using preview and pages to turn stock photos into covers without the expense of buying Photoshop. Example:

Impediments (Sonnet Trilogy, #1) by Lee Holz

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a visual artist, most of my friends are too. I'm planning to add pages to my website; favourite artists, favourite indie writers, favourite blogs on art or writing, and artists available for cover art for authors. I've sent the word out via facebook (concerning the cover art). Although I use my own art for my covers, when I get the chance to scan all my negs (1000's & 1000's of them) I'm sure there will be a substantial amount of images that I can make available too (and I understand the need to do this in an inexpensive way). For instance my image of ;The Hunt' was used for Mireille Juchau's 'Machines for Feelings'. I've put my details about my website under 'New Website' (surprisingly enough). Will be adding to it as I go. Georgina.

message 15: by Lee (new)

Lee Holz Georgina Anne wrote: "I'm a visual artist, most of my friends are too. I'm planning to add pages to my website; favourite artists, favourite indie writers, favourite blogs on art or writing, and artists available for co..."

Where will you images by available for viewing and possible use rights purchase?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

http://www.georginaannetaylor.com/

My website has samples of my work. I'll be setting up more pages over the coming weeks (and I still have to scan lots and lots and lots of my negs). I'm contacting my friends to add their work. I'm also open to taking stock shots for authors.

Georgina.

message 17: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments Georgina Anne, you're going to be a popular lass around here, I'll predict!
JAC

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

My philosophy has always been to share things around. It makes life far nicer for all!
Georgina.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I use Photoshop Elements for my covers (but I think I'm getting Photoshop for Christmas!). For the cover of one of my short stories 'Crystalline' I dribbled oil onto a mirror then tipped it, so that it also reflected the sky above. The whole cover took a couple of hours to do (text included). So stock shots are good but sometimes it's easier just to produce a new image that's just right for the story.
Georgina.

message 20: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Kristufek | 181 comments I have a friend that does covers, though not sure if he had a website. He did one for me that I have yet to use and the cover of The Willing for Splitter (he's also the one that did the Christmas Lites poster). If anyone is interested, I can forward your information to him.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd be happy to put him on my artists available for cover art (I'll add the page when I have enough artists and their links). If he doesn't have a website a link and a sample cover probably will suffice. I set my website up using Weebly (recommended through the smashwords forum). It's free and pretty simple to use. You can also edit it whenever needed. The only issue I had was with my domain name. I ended up paying the extra to register a name with the www, so that people could find me. I also learnt quite a bit about altering the code so that it will (hopefully) show up better in the searches. Happy to pass on any info.
Georgina.

message 22: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 979 comments Tricia wrote: "I have a friend that does covers, though not sure if he had a website. He did one for me that I have yet to use and the cover of The Willing for Splitter (he's also the one that did the Christmas L..."

His name is Eric Shoemaker and people should jump on him before he gets booked up. Really talented. I'll be pimping him out as soon as he sets up his website...

Splitter

message 23: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 Lee wrote: "Actually, if you're running a Mac instead of a PC, you can do remarkable things using preview and pages to turn stock photos into covers without the expense of buying Photoshop"

Which app can you do that for? Got a MAC here as well.

FYI, a free alternative to Photoshop is GIMP: http://www.gimp.org/

What the usual rate for cover-art service? Anybody knows?

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Not sure about the cost of cover art, but UQP paid me $100 for my photo for Mireille Jachau's 'Machines for Feelings', full rights. I was more than happy. Exposure is always better than money (except for when the bills come in).
Georgina.

message 25: by Lee (new)

Lee Holz Experiment wrote: "Lee wrote: "Actually, if you're running a Mac instead of a PC, you can do remarkable things using preview and pages to turn stock photos into covers without the expense of buying Photoshop"

Which ..."

Experiment, Preview comes with your Mac. You can use it to capture images from the Net (using Screen Shot in Preview). You can rotate images in Preview.

Pages is part of the IWork App. You save your Preview image into Pages where you can add text to the cover and size it for either print or ecover. Then you save the print cover to pdf. The pdf file can be uploaded as a cover to Createspace. (There are instruction on the Createspace site for cover sizes for print books).

If you've made an ebook cover (which must be 8.5 x 11 for uploanding), use Screen Shot again to take the ebook cover back to Preview and then save it (a jpeg file) in Pictures. From Pictures you can upload the
the image to amazon or b&n. Works like a charm.

Thanks for the tip on GIMP. I want to work on images instead of using stock pics (which I'm doing now), but I'm too cheap to buy Indesign to get Photoshop, etc.

message 26: by Lee (new)

Lee Holz Experiment wrote: "Lee wrote: "Actually, if you're running a Mac instead of a PC, you can do remarkable things using preview and pages to turn stock photos into covers without the expense of buying Photoshop"

Which ..."

Experiment, Preview comes with your Mac. You can use it to capture images from the Net (using Screen Shot in Preview). You can rotate images in Preview.

Pages is part of the IWork App. You save your Preview image into Pages where you can add text to the cover and size it for either print or ecover. Then you save the print cover to pdf. The pdf file can be uploaded as a cover to Createspace. (There are instruction on the Createspace site for cover sizes for print books).

If you've made an ebook cover (which must be 8.5 x 11 for uploanding), use Screen Shot again to take the ebook cover back to Preview and then save it (a jpeg file) in Pictures. From Pictures you can upload the
the image to amazon or b&n. Works like a charm.

Thanks for the tip on GIMP. I want to work on images instead of using stock pics (which I'm doing now), but I'm too cheap to buy Indesign to get Photoshop, etc.

message 27: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments GIMP's pretty good. I'm terrible at any of these things but I have GIMP and can do rudimantary stuff. Also I love how easy it makes it to resize pics to a specific size, whether dpi or pixels or both.

Am considering asking for a graphics pad for Chrimbo but my poor elderly laptop has no memory left! Must find out if that's sortable out somehow...probably far too old though.
JAC

message 28: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) Tricia wrote: "I have a friend that does covers, though not sure if he had a website. He did one for me that I have yet to use and the cover of The Willing for Splitter (he's also the one that did the Christmas L..."

THIS GUYS IS GOOD!

message 29: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Kristufek | 181 comments Jenn wrote: THIS GUYS IS GOOD!

Thanks! I'm working with him to get his website updated, I should have the link shortly.

message 30: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) | 298 comments JA, I fail even at GIMP! I have no artistic talent whatsoever. My daughter is fab at that kind of stuff tho...I may have her do my next cover. LOL

message 31: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) I draw my own covers and color them with Photoshop, but I've been taught to do covers with... Powerpoint! I can't use it and am quicker with Photoshop, but if you're not an artist and don't want to tweak pics or whatnot, Powerpoint seems fine too.

message 32: by Amy Eye (new)

Experiment wrote: "Lee wrote: "Actually, if you're running a Mac instead of a PC, you can do remarkable things using preview and pages to turn stock photos into covers without the expense of buying Photoshop"

Which ..."

I know a wonderful cover artist who does custom covers from about $150-$300. You can check her stuff out at www.maeidesign.com

:)

message 33: by Rachel (last edited Dec 23, 2011 11:24PM) (new)

Rachel Marks | 12 comments Wow, Amy! She is AWESOME! Those are great! Thanks for the link!!!

I did my own, but I'm still learning:

Winter Rose by Rachel A. Marks & Sorrow's Shroud by Rachel A. Marks

I'd love to save up some cash for the next novel, though, and pay someone as good as Mae

message 34: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments I second Regina over at
http://www.maeidesign.com
I have used her for three covers and we are in talks for a fourth. She is the best!!!!

message 35: by Ermisenda (last edited Dec 30, 2011 09:08AM) (new)

Ermisenda Alvarez (ermisendaalvarez) | 44 comments If anyone needs cover designs, I am a graphic designer. I don't charge much. $100 is the price for most jobs. You can see some of the book covers I've done for a client of mine at ermisendaDESIGN

If you'd like to see more work of mine contact me through goodreads or my email address ermisenda@live.com. I also have three free book covers on offer here on my blog: Three Free Book Covers (The photography belongs to me.)

Those covers are free as they are, just let me know what author name, book title and small quote to adjust and it's yours. :) If you'd like more elaborate changes then unfortunately they are not free anymore.

I'd love to help out with anyone's graphic design needs and to also give advice. I hope to connect with some more artists and writers soon. :)

Ermisenda

message 36: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Kristufek | 181 comments Splitter wrote:
His name is Eric Shoemaker and people should jump on him before he gets booked up. Really talented. I'll be pimping him out as soon as he sets up his website...

Eric finally has his website up. You can find him here:
http://shoemakerdesigns.wordpress.com/

He does more than just covers, but as you can see from his site, he's done the print covers for both of Splitter's works.

message 37: by Ken (new)

Ken Lindsey | 4 comments Hey folks, I'm an author who is fairly new to graphic design, but I'm very excited about the work I'm doing. Since I'm just starting out, I'm hoping to find ten authors who will commission a cover from me for only $50. I can't add images here because the books I did the covers for have not been released yet, but I am more than happy to show interested parties.

This is mostly to help me build a gallery and make some contacts. Until all ten covers are finished and signed off on by their owners, I won't be doing any other covers.

If you're interested, send me a message here on Goodreads! Full refunds will be given if I can't meet your requirements, but I also retain the rights to all images until they are complete and accepted by the client.

message 38: by Christine (new)

Christine Rice (christine_rice) | 88 comments I design personalized book covers for $30.00. You can view some of my cover designs here.

You can view my complete list of graphic design services and their prices here.

If you're interested in my services, message me or contact me through my website at the links provided above.

message 39: by Lampros (new)

Lampros Kalfuntzos | 1 comments hi all, looking to find some work for book cover designs, you can check some of my work here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lampro... or use any existing image